Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,042,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It took all of 5 seconds to find your previous postings. I have a pretty good memory and knew you started threads on the subject.

The credit card legislation had NOTHING to do with individuals being responsible with their credit. It was all about punishing credit card companies. To come back now after the fact that conservatives said that the outcome would = higher fees, which liberals disagreed with, and proclaim it was all about responsibility is just dishonest.
I beg your pardon, dont you dare call me dishonest.

"The credit card legislation had NOTHING to do with individuals being responsible with their credit. It was all about punishing credit card companies." -- that's your opinion, typically blinded by rage. It's not a fact.

"Credit Card Act to be implemented in time for Christmas, possibly" and "Obama backs bill to lessen credit card interest burden" - I didnt write em, I quoted em. Sorry if you're so constantly angry you dont take time to read.

Neither of them is about the current high fees, either, so I dont really get what you're attacking about here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,581,925 times
Yeah I just got a notice form my bank that they are raising my interest rate. Nice job Obama...and it begins..

Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,755,267 times
Unless you are starting a business or buying a house soon, cancel any rediculous cards that charge fees or raise interest rates. Let your credit score drop a few points. The power is in the hands of the consumers. If consumers show up and not stand for something, businesses have to adjust eventually.

I mean seriously. I'm around 800. I doubt if I dropped to 750 after canceling a card or two ... that my life would end.

I got an offer for a "Black Card" yesterday (for those who know what that is). Was excited until I read an annual fee of $495 for the privelege of using this "prestigious" card lol. Sent a note back that said, "$500 to use? No thanks. I'll stick with my 'lowlife' credit cards."

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,622,836 times
Honestly, I could care less if my fico score drops a few points, if our credit card company (USAA) pulls a fast one, we are OUTTA there.

We are in control, not them.

Sheesh, I feel like they are trying to control me by coercion!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

479 posts, read 876,461 times

Exactly.Why are people whining about Obama when its the banks that are gouging the American people?The same American people who have bailed out their a$$es.

If those complaining acted with the fervor that their tea party representatives did in Washington against these financial systems that will bend you over under any situation then they can force the banks to stop this nonsense.It seems like these bankers are teflon because so many citizens are corporate sympathizers that they will blame the gov't for attempting to protect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Honestly, I could care less if my fico score drops a few points, if our credit card company (USAA) pulls a fast one, we are OUTTA there.

We are in control, not them.

Sheesh, I feel like they are trying to control me by coercion!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,284,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post

Exactly.Why are people whining about Obama when its the banks that are gouging the American people?
Again, banks are one of the most heavily regulated industries in the US. The banks don't wipe their noses right now without getting an okay from the Fed, the Treasury, the FDIC, Larry Summers and Tim Geitner. If they are raising credit card rates than this administration is okay with that. I'm sure you can find someone in the administration complaining about it, but they aren't stopping it. IMO they like banks raising rates. It brings in more revenue and helps the banks get solvent without more government money. Sure it will cost the consumer more, but this administration doesn't care...just wait till cap & trade and the healthcare bill sink this country.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,884,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I beg your pardon, dont you dare call me dishonest.
Yes, I called you dishonest, and then you come here and prove you are dishonest
Quote:
"The credit card legislation had NOTHING to do with individuals being responsible with their credit. It was all about punishing credit card companies." -- that's your opinion, typically blinded by rage. It's not a fact.

"Credit Card Act to be implemented in time for Christmas, possibly" and "Obama backs bill to lessen credit card interest burden" - I didnt write em, I quoted em. Sorry if you're so constantly angry you dont take time to read.
I dont see in your posting where you backed up your argument that it was about encouraging responsibility. Your posting quotes Obama saying it was to lessen the burden of interest, not about responsibility...
Quote:
Neither of them is about the current high fees, either, so I dont really get what you're attacking about here in the first place.
Because conservatives posted time and time again that the ONLY possible outcome from the obama legislation would be higher fees, and you guys all said we were crazy. Stop being dishonest and admit you were wrong..

Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Unless you are starting a business or buying a house soon, cancel any rediculous cards that charge fees or raise interest rates. Let your credit score drop a few points. The power is in the hands of the consumers. If consumers show up and not stand for something, businesses have to adjust eventually.

I mean seriously. I'm around 800. I doubt if I dropped to 750 after canceling a card or two ... that my life would end.

I got an offer for a "Black Card" yesterday (for those who know what that is). Was excited until I read an annual fee of $495 for the privelege of using this "prestigious" card lol. Sent a note back that said, "$500 to use? No thanks. I'll stick with my 'lowlife' credit cards."
Funny you mention that...I received a similar invitation from American Express telling me that I had reached Platinum status. I was pretty excited too because, coming from American Express, there was some level of credit-achievment behind it. That is, until I too found out that the annual fee was $425. LOL Needless to say, I kept my Gold AmEx (put all my monthly expenditures on it and pay it off each month.) I seriously could not find a worthy cost/benefit to switch to the Platinum card.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,910,576 times
Ahh, the beauty of regulation. Eat it up folks, you will get them bad companies and take them for what you want right? Nope, you will get the short end of the stick due to loop holes and the government will get pay backs for their ownership of it. Regulation is for the stupid and the idiotic. Just wait when you are being bent over the table, they will tell you how much they have helped you and done for you during the election. You can't make this sort of stupid up. It works though, regulation always works for those invested in it!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,959,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
It seems if you have perfect credit, your rate wouldn't be 29.99%.
hubby and I have fico scores over 800 and our credit card rate is under 8%...this is all riduculousness and I can't see it working in their favor.
I feel like it's going to backfire, quite soon after implementation.
Time will tell.
If everyone who has good credit decided to cancel their cards or discontinue charging, then the banks will only be profitting off of those with low credit. What happens when those with bad credit don't pay their bills and those with good credit refuses to use the cards/cancel account?This will eventually place the banks in a precarious situation similar to the housing crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies