Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post

I didn't write it so it's not 'my article' but how do you spin that any other way really. It is what it is.

1. Those Israeli settlements are unlawful and Israel has been stealing more and more land ever since they parked their high horse havin' asses over there. (see evidence a, attached)
While I agree that many of the settlements are unlawful, I disagree with the attitude that all the land that Israel has obtained over the decades has been done illegally. Land changes hands in war All. The. Time.

And if you're going to gripe about the unlawful settlements, you need to acknowledge that there has been progress in stopping them.

Israel removes West Bank settlement outpost - Los Angeles Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki

2. Israelis do live high on the hog while rationing pretty much everything to a quarantined Palestine.

I guess there were some biased articles in 1860 from Northern states regarding African slaves too huh? How dare those slaves complain about their living conditions!

They are doing the same thing that the U.S. did to the American Indians.
Wrong. You act as though the Palestinians were the original settlers of that land and that Jews have never lived there or ruled there throughout history. That's simply factually incorrect. Jews have been there since the very beginning.

There's simply not one single similarity to draw between the Israel/Palestine conflict and the U.S./American Indian conflict. The U.S. invaded a land they'd never set foot on, ever, in the entirety of history, then killed the natives and stole their land. Jews have an equally long and rich history in what's now known as Israel, they were living there at the time the rulers of that land handed them sovereignty, then reaped the spoils of war when they fought against an invading enemy to defend it.

That doesn't absolve Israel of any of the bad acts they've committed. And just like the U.S. has committed bad acts, so has Israel. I'm not so naive as to claim otherwise. But they control their country legally. Earned that country legally. Have a right to possess land in that area legally. And they are faced with an enemy the likes of al qaeda within their very borders.

Have you read the Palestinian National Charter? Here's some of its contents. . .
Quote:
. . .

Article 9: Armed struggle is the only way to liberate Palestine. Thus it is the overall strategy, not merely a tactical phase. The Palestinian Arab people assert their absolute determination and firm resolution to continue their armed struggle and to work for an armed popular revolution for the liberation of their country and their return to it. . .

Article 10: Commando action constitutes the nucleus of the Palestinian popular liberation war. This requires its escalation, comprehensiveness, and the mobilization of all the Palestinian popular and educational efforts and their organization and involvement in the armed Palestinian revolution. . .

. . .

Article 20: The Balfour Declaration, the Mandate for Palestine, and everything that has been based upon them, are deemed null and void. Claims of historical or religious ties of Jews with Palestine are incompatible with the facts of history and the true conception of what constitutes statehood. Judaism, being a religion, is not an independent nationality. Nor do Jews constitute a single nation with an identity of its own; they are citizens of the states to which they belong.
They're history deniers as bad as holocaust deniers. Their One True Goal is to drive the Jews into the sea and see their utter destruction.

I'm sure al qaeda members have lovely wives and adorable children and I would hate like hell to see them killed in armed conflict. But if they come over here and blow up buildings, murdering thousands of innocent victims, then I have no problem rooting them out in an attempt to quash them with unequal military might, collateral damage or not. That's precisely why most Americans, including us liberals, supported the invasion of Afghanistan in the first place.

It's the same for Palestinians and Israel. I'm confident that they have many, many in their population who are lovely people and everyone, including Israel, regrets seeing their deaths, especially those of the children. But those lovely people need to step up to the plate and not elect Hamas as their leader.

Are you even aware of what's in the Hamas Charter? Did you know that the Charter quotes Hassan Al-Banna, a Nazi sympathizer who founded the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. And that the Muslim Brotherhood spawned a number of radical Islamist movements including Al-Qaeda?

And from its Preamble: "Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it."

It's like electing, then re-electing George W. Bush, and expecting the Iraqis not to loathe us even more for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
Antisemitism is alive & well...

Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Gee, this thread reminds me of rev wright, obama's pastor. obama should know about this, after all, he did something similiar to his own constiuents. TheCypressTimes : MR. OBAMA, TURN ON THIS WATER - NOW! (http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/Columnists/A_Time_For_Choosing/MR_OBAMA_TURN_ON_THIS_WATER_NOW/24622 - broken link)

Old 10-27-2009, 06:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Israel and Palestine are at war....
Hamas publicly calls for Israels destructions while the PA says it in Arabic.

Israel has a Water Authority and Amnesty conveniently did not allow them any input on the matter. Furthermore, there are existing agreements between Israel and Palestine over water user. I can't find the link but remember reading that the Palestians refused desalinated water from Israel over political concerns. And Israel has repeatedly stated that water rights will been reserved for final-status negotations.

With the demarcation of transjordan and the Balfour Declaration, it was declared that Palestine would be home to a Jewish state. One of the hold ups to final-status negotiations is the fact the PA wants a right of "return" of Arabs back into Israel which would delute Israel as a Jewish state in straight contradiction of the intent and purpose of the creation of the state of Israel. If you translate that, Palestinians are only interested in final-status negotiations if Israel excepts itself as a Muslim state. That is not a fair negotating partner.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Americans believe that Palestinians are sub-humans (or less) and deserve to be kicked, shot, crushed, and whatever. America has a tradition of being anti-Palestinian and supporting policies that degrade Palestinians to less than dirt.
But I guess the Judeo-Christian god loves it all!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

Americans believe that Palestinians are sub-humans (or less) and deserve to be kicked, shot, crushed, and whatever. America has a tradition of being anti-Palestinian and supporting policies that degrade Palestinians to less than dirt.
But I guess the Judeo-Christian god loves it all!
I beg to differ. I'd bet my life savings that Americans are far more anti-Semitic than they are Anti-Palestinian.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza conflict

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I beg to differ. I'd bet my life savings that Americans are far more anti-Semitic than they are Anti-Palestinian.
Not if they consider themselves "Christians", and if a majority of Americans do, then I'd say that is a very risky bet to make. I certainly would not wager my life savings. Maybe $50.00 I'd wager, thats about it. (not my life savings, though..)

Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
OP,
You say "a few rockets were lobbed" into Israel (actualy 8000).
Here's a list of just some of the thousands of Israelis who were murdered and maimed by your poor fiends - uh, I mean friends:
Fatal Terrorist Attacks in Israel Since the Declaration of Principles

None of that excuses Israeli war crimes. To see it defended is really sick, but it happens everyday. Both the defense of these, and the continuing war crimes against Palestinians, that is

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm not sure which particular part of that link you want people to take note of, but I followed the link titled: "UN Fact Finding Mission finds strong evidence of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Gaza conflict; calls for end to impunity (Press Release 15 September 2009)" It starts out:
Quote:
The UN Fact-Finding Mission led by Justice Richard Goldstone on Tuesday released its long-awaited report on the Gaza conflict, in which it concluded there is evidence indicating serious violations of international human rights and humanitarian law were committed by Israel during the Gaza conflict, and that Israel committed actions amounting to war crimes, and possibly crimes against humanity.

The report also concludes there is also evidence that Palestinian armed groups committed war crimes, as well as possibly crimes against humanity, in their repeated launching of rockets and mortars into Southern Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies