Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The democrats/liberals threw their former VP nominee under the bus. Payback is a bi*ch, isn't it?

Obviously, the libs/dems in CT can't prevent Joe from running AND winning again. I would have thought that was crystal clear in the last election. I do believe he said he won't be running for re-election.
He runs again he doesn't have a chance of winning. He was able to hold on in 06, but the Dems will likely challenge him with someone much stronger than Lamont. Also his McCain support last year pretty much finished him. Even if he gets the nomination for the GOP, he's finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Perhaps, but keep in mind that voting for cloture isn't the same as voting for the bill. If you look back at some of the Senate votes of the last few years you will find quite a few bills that got the 60 votes for cloture, but got less than that on the final bill. Not saying that this will happen in this case, but its a possibility, especially with the likes of Snowe & Nelson who have done this on several occasions over the last several years
But my question to you is: Why do you care if it fails to get 60 votes since you will eventually get it passed with Reconcilliation?

To me, it's not even a question. I know it won't pass with 60 votes and Democrats will use the nuclear option. It's a given. What we are observing now is just drama. It's meaningless. I'm already researching the Reconcilliation/Nuclear Option process since that is much more interesting

Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But my question to you is: Why do you care if it fails to get 60 votes since you will eventually get it passed with Reconcilliation?

To me, it's not even a question. I know it won't pass with 60 votes and Democrats will use the nuclear option. It's a given. What we are observing now is just drama. It's meaningless. I'm already researching the Reconcilliation/Nuclear Option process since that is much more interesting
I don't think they will use it. For one, technically they can't - it is not a budgetary issue, it's just another massive government-run entitlement sure to go deep in debt in the near future, like Medicare @ $35 TRILLION.

Politically, I don't think they want to use it - the Senate would grind to a halt, literally. The courtesy of unanimous consent, without objection would end.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 AM

206 posts, read 195,765 times
Lieberman and his corporate lobbyist wife are shills and hypocrites.
The state of Connecticut already has a 'Public Option' Health care Plan -called the 'Charter Oak Plan' see Charter Oak Health Plan

Which is a good program that is based on income- it is serving over 10,000 citizens here in Connecticut. Is Lieberman aware of this PO plan? Does he not think Americans elsewhere should have access to this type of program as residents here do? He Is plainly an Idiot.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz affair View Post
Lieberman and his corporate lobbyist wife are shills and hypocrites.
The state of Connecticut already has a 'Public Option' Health care Plan -called the 'Charter Oak Plan' see Charter Oak Health Plan

Which is a good program that is based on income- it is serving over 10,000 citizens here in Connecticut. Is Lieberman aware of this PO plan? Does he not think Americans elsewhere should have access to this type of program as residents here do? He Is plainly an Idiot.
What leads you to believe that a government-run PO would resemble anything you have in CT? IS your plan well run? In the Black?

We have numerous and glaring examples of government-run programs in the red - for trillions of dollars, why do you think that will change?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Marxist anti-semitic?? Hmmm. I believe Karl Marx was Jewish...go figure.

Marx opposed all religion. Remember that little line about the "opiate of the people"? Marx and Mao tried to destroy any physical and emotional religious ties to the people.

Please do not even suggest that marxists are tolerant of religion. Being atheist is a BASIS of thier "religion"- the religion of the state.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you suppose that the Republicans could get the Dems to throw that thing out by holding up on judge appointments? They sure need to but I don't think they will.
The Republicans are already blocking floor action on judicial appointments, even for noncontroversial nominees who have passed the Judiciary Committee with overwhelming bipartisan support. More evidence that it is not the Democrats who have politicized the judicial appointment process.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 AM

206 posts, read 195,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What leads you to believe that a government-run PO would resemble anything you have in CT? IS your plan well run? In the Black?

We have numerous and glaring examples of government-run programs in the red - for trillions of dollars, why do you think that will change?

The program is not in the red- the premium payments cover part of the plan, as well as do state and federal monies. The Plan was started by a Republican Governor.

The plan is not for profit- so its overhead is considerably reduced compared to for profit corporations.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz affair View Post
The program is not in the red- the premium payments cover part of the plan, as well as do state and federal monies. The Plan was started by a Republican Governor.

The plan is not for profit- so its overhead is considerably reduced compared to for profit corporations.
So, the plan depends on state and federal tax dollars... while state and federal tax revenue is declining. Good luck with that.
Revenue Outlook Still Gloomy For Connecticut, Other States | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices-regional-local/13222850-1.html - broken link)
IRS tax revenue falls along with taxpayers' income - USATODAY.com

Maybe they can start rationing care with group doctor visits like Massachusetts! Or, have patients who can't get medical care resort to using the emergency room for minor health care needs. That won't cost much.

"Massachusetts, the proud model for likely Obama-Kennedy reform, is trying a new answer for the problem of a severe doctor shortage: group appointments.

Deluged with demand from newly insured patients, doctors have no room on their appointment schedules for all the new patients. At Holyoke Medical Center, it takes 4 months to get an appointment. A patient with chronic Lyme disease can’t find a single primary physician in three towns who will accept a new patient, so she goes to the emergency room, recounting her history to a different intake nurse, for all medical needs, including her regular prescriptions..."
Massachusetts resorts to group visits with the doctor « AAPS News of the Day

There's much more in that article... Reading the MD's comments at the bottom is very enlightning, as well.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-28-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Independent Democratic Sen. Joe Lieberman said Tuesday that he would back a Republican filibuster against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's health care reform bill if a government-backed insurance plan remains in the package.

The announcement is a blow to the Democratic leader and signals that he does not yet have the votes to advance the bill. While Reid needs just 51 votes to pass the package, he needs 60 votes to crush a filibuster.

"If the bill remains what it is now, I will not be able to support a cloture motion before final passage," Lieberman told reporters, adding that he's willing to vote to bring the bill to the floor for debate.

Lieberman Announces Opposition to Health Care Bill With Government Plan - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/27/lieberman-announces-opposition-health-care-government-plan/ - broken link)

It looks like Harry Reid has some work to do.
I would make him back it up and do it, wonder how long he can actually last.
ROTFLMAO,
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies