Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 06:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I feel you need to read more about women who HAVE indeed been successful in fending off their attackers. It is not only POSSIBLE, it's happened several times.

And at least one of those ex-girlfriends I speak of is disabled, and walks with a cane--which she would beat you with, if you attacked her.

http://handi-capablekarate.com/about.html (broken link)
If she can do it--anyone can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
God helps him who helps himself. I believe charity must begin at home.
God?
You who would walk by as a person was getting raped or stabbed talks about God?

Oh the irony....

This is all too familiar to what I thought...just confirms it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
God helps him who helps himself. I believe charity must begin at home.
I feel so sorry for you. You have such a pitiful existence TK

Several years ago, a car with a woman and her two young children somehow crashed into a canal here in Phoenix. The car was upside down - under water. Two gentlemen on their way home from work (separately) slammed on their breaks and ran to the scene - both looked at one another - never said a word to one another - and dived into the fast moving (and cold) water.

Both worked together - breaking windows - and got Mom out first - and too the surface where others had gathered and helped get mom out of the canal. They went down and grabbed the kids.

Somehow though, one of the men got his pants caught on something and could not break loose.

The other man got the kids to the surface and to other rescuers. He went back for the other guy - but could not find him.

The body of the one man was found, later that day, in a drainage guard.

He had risked his life, as had the other man, to save the lives of people they did not know. Both of these men were treated as heroes - and still are here.

Somehow TKramer I have an image of you, shrugging your shoulders, saying it is not your problem, and walking by - leaving 3 people to die - even though they could have lived if only you had helped.

If I said what I really wanted to here, the Mods would give me an extended "time out" - and rightfully so. Just know, I, and I bet a lot of others, are thinking it

Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Ok, I think we can all agree that what happened is horrendous. It's horrendous that something this hideous happened & no one cared enough to call the police, yell, scream, try to pull them off her w/the help of others, etc. I could give two figs what is legal or not, it's called compassion, sympathy, empathy for someone who is in obvious need of assistance. By the way TKramer, you never answered the hypothetical regarding your grandmother. Would you care to answer that or are you shying away from it because the thought is so painful you'd rather shut yourself off? I'm happy to see that most people on this thread do not have the thought process that you do, that is what makes a society, a community. It is what makes kids grow up into respectable admirable adults, adults that others can look up to. Adults who do good in this world. There is no good in someone who could give a sh*t about a person who is a victim of violent crime, there is no good in someone who refuses to get therapy & move past something that has haunted them thru their life causing them to end up a non-feeling, locked up individual. That is no way for someone to live.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I do not understand how someone could stand by and do nothing to help. If I didn't do the right thing I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I do not understand how someone could stand by and do nothing to help. If I didn't do the right thing I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
See, that's the difference between you, me & a whole bunch of others compared to some. I feel bad for not helping someone get their car out of the snow for gods sakes! I saw a homeless woman being harassed by a bar owner & I said something to him. I saw a dog get kicked by it's piece of crap gutter rat owner & I gave him a piece of my mind. These aren't violent situations of course but at least I had the courage to say something. Our mayor was just attacked a couple months ago because he saw an escalating domestic situation on the street & went up to the guy while dialing 911. The guy turned on him. What a piece of crap that guy is! Of course now our mayor is considered a hero for trying to help the woman. Do you know how much more crime & violence would occur if people decided to cop that "shrug, it's not me why should I care" attitude? I can't even imagine.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I think TKramar is just messing with us to be provocative. Kind of pathetic if you ask me considering the subject matter, but not worth expending any more energy on.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think TKramar is just messing with us to be provocative. Kind of pathetic if you ask me considering the subject matter, but not worth expending any more energy on.
Yes, this is true. I've seen his views on other things & quite frankly, why get upset about it?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Actually, it is the way he REALLY is I'm afraid

Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
I do have honor--where it applies directly to me. I take pride in my work, for example, and do the best job I can, not because of my compensation, which I'd get no matter how "hard" I worked, but because my honor requires it of me.

I have to say that I am a bit scared that you are walking around. You have ZERO empathy for other human beings and that is the first trait of a killer. I am floored that we have people that think as you do. You claim that you were abused by your parents and no one helped you. Should that not be enough for you to want to help others. Would you do nothing if you knew a child was being abused, just walk the other way while their parents abused them? If you say yes you are truly a lost and most certainly NOT a person of character or value. Simply working hard and not breaking laws do NOT make you a person of character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies