U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,163,575 times
I've never harmed anyone that was not actively harming me. You do not get to strike me with impunity, because I will stand up for myself--the only person I should stand up for.

By the way, I've already explained how I differ from a sociopath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,163,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not sure if this is directed at me, but since I was just discussing it:

I just edited my post to be more clear: most reputable studies find no causal link between violent media (including video games) and the likelihood of committing violent acts.
Yes, I was directing it to that post--and I agree. But some do blame such games for violent behavior. Violent music, as well.

In fact, I can remember them taking "House of the Dead" out of a place because the corporation felt it was "too violent". They also took FHM and Stuff off the shelves--but left Cosmopolitan, which talks about sex a heckuva lot more than either of those magazines.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 AM

3,388 posts, read 1,608,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, I was directing it to that post--and I agree. But some do blame such games for violent behavior. Violent music, as well.

In fact, I can remember them taking "House of the Dead" out of a place because the corporation felt it was "too violent". They also took FHM and Stuff off the shelves--but left Cosmopolitan, which talks about sex a heckuva lot more than either of those magazines.
Yeah, some people believe a lot of things that research doesn't support. IMO, it wastes energy and resources that can better better applied to actually addressing risk factors for violence. Thanks for pointing out where my post wasn't clear.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 AM

12,153 posts, read 10,052,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't think you can blame the school unless they have a policy that students can't leave events early or without their parents. I do wonder what happened to the Dad that she was suppoed to be meeting. Or did she plan on leaving the dance to meet up with this 19 year old the entire time?
I blame the school because I don't see how it's possible for something like this to go on for two hours and no one notice. I was in high school for four years and every time we had an event security and chaperones were constantly walking the grounds and no one left until the campus had been thoroughly swept. They had people outside so if you weren’t leaving or getting picked up, you had to go back inside. Now back then they were just making sure no one was in a car having sex, fighting or hanging out behind the gym getting high, but with the direction schools are headed in now you would think that the school would have had some sort of plan.

Maybe I was just blessed to go to a decent school.

I hope this event will enlighten them that maybe they need to step up their security measures if they're going to continue hosting events.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 AM

6,802 posts, read 4,633,653 times
Quote:
Then you're two things:

1) an idiot

and

2) freaking nosy.

Keep your nose out of what isn't any of your business.
The things I can call to mind to describe someone like you are legion, but if I HAVE to limit myself with only 2 1: a poser 2:utterly delusional >>>> It's all very touching, your little story about your abusive parents and how your childhood turned you into the rock you are today, that does not change the fact that the people who failed to help this girl are simpering cowards. The second somebody commits such a crime in within my sight, they MAKE it my business. I do not have it in me to ignore such acts. This was a child , being assaulted in a heinous manner. So, continue to live by your own craven code, I don't have it in me to be like you (thankfully) That such as you would find my outlook idiotic, well, can't say as that makes me feel less in any way.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 AM

12,153 posts, read 10,052,335 times
Ok let's all stop watching the TKramer show; I notice that he hijacks just about every thread he posts in talking about "his way of life"

5 arressted in Richmond High gang rape (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/BA621ABOF6.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

Quote:
The latest arrest happened at 11 p.m. Tuesday when a 17-year-old Pinole boy turned himself in at Richmond police headquarters, not long after officers went to his home and didn't find him, said police Lt. Mike Gormley.

Also arrested Tuesday night were a 16-year-old San Pablo boy and 21-year-old Salvador Rodriguez of Richmond
Police arrest 4 in 2-hour gang-rape of teen outside homecoming dance

Quote:
Dara Cashman, of Contra Costa district attorneys office sex crimes unit, says witnesses who failed to report the crime could be charged with aiding and abetting if police can show their actions aided or goaded the attackers.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM

47,400 posts, read 37,441,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Blah blah! In one ear. Out the other.

LOL! How do you know I never admit I am wrong? I do. Of course. Facts are facts. If I misunderstood or said something wrong, I will say sorry.

Also, I NEVER said all conservatives.

Sure, they have a right to their views. I never stopped them. But so do I.

I took the chance to explain my side. I posted it in a response to camping. You wanna whine about it still? Go on.

PS-Do you complain this much when conservatives say things like "hussein Obama" or "all liberals are just welfare leechers"?
As a matter of fact I do. I don't think any group can be lumped together. As for calling liberals welfare leechers, that would be totally unrealistic. Most of us have friends on both sides and many liberals (a lot of our friends) are anything but welfare leechers.

Nita

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 AM

6,802 posts, read 4,633,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Ok let's all stop watching the TKramer show; I notice that he hijacks just about every thread he posts in talking about "his way of life"

5 arressted in Richmond High gang rape (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/28/BA621ABOF6.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)
It has been asked, numerous time, just what is it that would make our youth so indifferent to something like this? I suppose if this were some kind of gang related thing, that could explain it, to a point. That dog don't hunt here though
Seems that not a day goes by that we don't hear about kids somewhere posting video of things like this on youtube etc, it's as if hyper violence is becoming trendy. The more base the act, the 'cooler' it is. When I was in school(oh so long ago ...it seems now) ganging up on someone, in any manner, was considered to be contemptable, now, it's the thing to do. The first inclination that seems to pop to mind these days, when something lke this goes down, is to pop open the video feature on the cell, and not so the police can use the video either, dollar signs are the motive. youtube has become a scourge. People blame this mentallity on a myriad of things, from lack of discipline in the home to video games, I don't know where the problem is coming from, but, a good solution would be to stop making this kind of thing out to be cool, somehow! This mentallity is a cancer, it needs to be cut out from the root up. Whatever caused it is irrelevant now, prevention is past, we need the cure.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 AM

47,400 posts, read 37,441,264 times
[quote=love roses;11375834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I share your view: that is what I was saying, I don't think there is any way to arrest these kids, it would never stand up in court.[/QUOTE

I guarantee you if my daughter ever stood back and let something like this happen, court would be the least of her worries. But, obviously, some of the parents at that school don't care and that's why they all displayed such winning behavior.
I completely agree, but the days of that type of parenting, especially in some of these areas is long gone..and you know what, I bet your kids wouldn't stand around and watch. Good behavior starts at home, kids know how far they can push the buttoms.

Nita

Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 AM

5,751 posts, read 4,429,669 times
Quote:
No, what that means is that you can't wait around for others to help you, or depend on other people--you have to take the initiative to take care of things without any help from anyone else.

When I go to work, no one helps me move the heavy freight--that can be anywhere between 50 and 150 pounds--I take care of it myself. But so do they, if they find themselves in a similar position. We don't have time to be "helping" each other, we have time enough to get our own jobs done and that's it! We waste time "helping" others, and our own work suffers for it.
What a baby. This doesn't even compare to what happened to this girl. Man, you are so totally F'ed up.

The girl couldn't take care of herself. She was beat unconsciously. You're so f'ed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies