Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,318,155 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad I'm not in high school now; I'd be terrified for my life. I wish I knew more info about this - if this happened on school grounds I want to know why none of the adults noticed this was going on.

Gang Rape at homecoming dance (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/27/BAEA1AB71L.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

Quote:
Four police officers and several school security staffers were on hand at the dance. But two of the staffers, known as site supervisors, left at about 9 p.m. because of a "prior commitment" and because the police believed they had enough support to handle security, said Marin Trujillo, West Contra Costa Unified School District spokesman.

Quote:
The attack has raised questions about campus security. The school has surveillance cameras, but none is operable and a new system should be in place in the next few months, schools officials said.

Last edited by nat_at772; 10-27-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,142,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Right.

Watch how some conservatives will say she asked for it and then say she must continue with the pregnancy if she is indeed pregnant.

The people who stood by and watched should be punished as severely as the people who did the actual act.

There is NO EXCUSE for this.
Is there someone here who is more right leaning than I am? I want to see him/her. Now let me say that this act was one of the worst things I have heard about and from the bystanders as well as the perps. I know that when I was in highschool very few boys would have stood around watching something like this. However I graduated 59 years ago and things have changed drastically since then. I can promise you that 15 wouldn't have stood around, probably getting their jolies, watching 4 do that.

We have created these animals all by ourselves. They get trophies for getting 12th in a competition out of 12. They can't be physically punished for anything as we were when I was a kid. I knew I was going to get spanked at home if I got it in school and much worse. We have created a whole generation of "ME" only people and there were 15 of them watching 4 of them with no thoughts for the girl.

Ok, this conservative wants to punish all 19 of those boys. Maybe letting her mother or father use a paddle made for that purpose on them. It is time to get back to those days of punishment when it is called for.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,142,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm so glad I'm not in high school now; I'd be terrified for my life. I wish I knew more info about this - if this happened on school grounds I want to know why none of the adults noticed this was going on.
Just think Nataly, you aren't so far removed from high school and yet this is almost common today. You should be very happy to be old enough to have lived in the days when those schools were still places of peaceful enjoyment for most kids.

You are saying this as well as anybody else here and need to keep it up.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Just think Nataly, you aren't so far removed from high school and yet this is almost common today. You should be very happy to be old enough to have lived in the days when those schools were still places of peaceful enjoyment for most kids.

You are saying this as well as anybody else here and need to keep it up.
I just don't get kids....I think one of the main problems is that kids aren't afraid of anything anymore. They have these parents that take up for them even when they know they're wrong, the same parents who don't demand their kids respect them or anyone else and then they set these kids loose on the world.

Things like this just can't keep happening...kids should be safe at school.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,287,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know if there is a crime that they can charge the bystanders with - but clearly what they did (nothing) was immoral and shows a complete lack of human empathy. In my opinion, the bystanders and the rapists are less then human scum. Their names and faces ought to be shown so that the potential employers/coworkers/neighbors can know that these are 'people' not to be trusted.

And yes, they are 'teens'. So what? This isn't burglary and this isn't a case of smoking weed in the parking lot. This is a case of callousness and there is no 'maturing' that away.
Camping under this same logic which many on this board support then we are all guilty of being idle by-standards participating in immoral unlawful behavior and we should all be put in jail.

I'd make the argument these by-standards behavior is no more distasteful or intolerable than the person who allows another human being to be harassed at work, because of their gender, political affiliation, sexuality, race, or religious preference. If silence is to be interpreted as an omission of guilt associated with inability to act for what is "moral" then who here is innocent, when this logic is applied to all aspects of your lives? (not just the actions you have self defined as immoral and distasteful)

What's the difference in being a by-standard?

This is a horrific act to watch and I agree with the majority of the forum. However, it is interesting to read the basis of jail and imprisonment should be considered for condoning immoral behavior in silence. Basically everyone in this case believes that by silently condoning immoral behavior, they are against moral behavior, so this is perfect justification for imprisonment. The simple crime committed was those "good men/women" remained silent in the face of immoral "evil" behavior. If this logic is applied to all aspects of our lives than there are not enough jails to house the population. The entire world population is guilty of immoral behavior towards other human beings and by your logic since many remain silent they are condoning such horrible behavior. Since they are condoning through silence such horrible behavior they should be jailed. Just a heads up If you cannot see the simple point I'm making without attempting to accusing me of supporting such a horrible act then you'll just never get it!

Another thread that seeks to punish those we disagree through hypocrisy. This has nothing to do with the story only how I'm interpreting many of your responses and justification for punishment to the story.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,408,080 times
It reminds me of the case of Cheryl Araujo, whose gang rape became the basis of the movie "The Accused".

In this case, I really do hope that life imitates art and the bystanders are convicted. They were as much "participants" as the pigs who performed the acts, by standing there cheering it on.

Disgusting. I hope they all rot in hell.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It reminds me of the case of Cheryl Araujo, whose gang rape became the basis of the movie "The Accused".

In this case, I really do hope that life imitates art and the bystanders are convicted. They were as much "participants" as the pigs who performed the acts, but standing there cheering it on.

Disgusting. I hope they all rot in hell.
I remember that movie; didn't realize it was a true story though.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM

7,513 posts, read 11,302,814 times
We need to wait until more information comes out with this. I saw a lawyer on CNN talking about this and he said that it was very unsual for a rape to occur for as long as two hours in such a public area.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,509,832 times
This is so horrible. Let's put the partisan bickering aside on this one, I can't imagine there is anyone on the board that would be anything but horrified by this. What I am tired of is hearing the pathetic excuses from the parents of these animals, and I hope this case will be the exception.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
We need to wait until more information comes out with this. I saw a lawyer on CNN talking about this and he said that it was very unsual for a rape to occur for as long as two hours in such a public area.
I agree. I've been reading the different news stories but so far none of them seem to have additional information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies