Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post

Of course he had to apologize because so many people are so either partisan or stupid as to claim to not understand what the man meant.
Actually, he had many in his own party, including House Leader Hoyer calling for an apology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
You know what? I like Grayson's statement, period. I know what he meant, I agree with him, and I think he made a very direct statement which most adults should understand; however, for those of you with such delicate sensibilities, I think you're missing the forest by looking too closely at this tree.

Would you rather have a "polite" Joe Leiberman-type representing your interests in Congress, or would you rather have an Alan Grayson representing your interests in Congress? Which of those two do you think works primarily for corporate interests?
Is it ok for a cop to yell at you simply because he pulled you over for speeding?

Do you think a person with power should be able to insult those they have power over? Do you think that wont lead to corruption and more power going to the persons head.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ok I'll assume you do approve of at least him going after legitimate issues concerning tax payer money and abiding by the Constitution.

So what's more imporatant to you?

The fact that he IS fighting for an accounting of tax payer money and Constitutional rights, or the fact he says outrageous statements?

In my opinion we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. Those Congressmen who take on the system are as rare as hen's teeth.
I approve of anyone of either party going after legit issues long as they are abiding the constitution.

What is important to me is that our elected reps remember they work for us. They are elected by us for us.

Like I said its not about him fighting its about the choice of words he used to fight with.

I think our elected officials have forgotten they work for us. I think they tell us whatever they think we want to hear to get elected and get to dc and forget that. I think its time that we start to actually hold them accountable for their actions. As I am held accoutable for mine. I have a problem with them lying to us

Do you think a cop that pulls you over for speeding can cuss at you?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
WASHINGTON — The Florida Democrat who said Republicans want sick people to "die quickly" is apologizing again for his inflammatory rhetoric, this time for insulting a senior Federal Reserve adviser using a derogatory term for women.

Amid growing criticism from across the political spectrum, Rep. Alan Grayson said late Tuesday it was inappropriate for him to call Fed adviser Linda Robertson a "K Street wh*re" during an interview last month on the "Alex Jones Show," a syndicated talk radio program.

The Associated Press: 'Die quickly' Democrat kicks up new controversy

I don't understand the appeal of this guy. I don't even understand how he became a Congressman. As a Democrat, he doesn't speak for me, that's for sure. I think he's an embarrassment to the party, and I hope he has a serious challenger in his next primary election.
It was a very close election and he only won because he spent a lot more money on the campaign and there was a taint of corruption around the Republican incumbent in that district.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I approve of anyone of either party going after legit issues long as they are abiding the constitution.

What is important to me is that our elected reps remember they work for us. They are elected by us for us.

Like I said its not about him fighting its about the choice of words he used to fight with.

I think our elected officials have forgotten they work for us. I think they tell us whatever they think we want to hear to get elected and get to dc and forget that. I think its time that we start to actually hold them accountable for their actions. As I am held accoutable for mine. I have a problem with them lying to us

Do you think a cop that pulls you over for speeding can cuss at you?
Cuss me a citizen? No. But could a cop cuss out another cop? Yes. Or could a cop cuss out someone else in the Departement is was hack for Enron brought in to do PR work?That would be OK with me.

But you didn't answer my question.

Given the fact that Grayson has a potty mouth would you trade him for a Congressman that cozies up to lobbyists and the status quo?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Funny comment coming from a East Capitol Street prostitute.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Given the fact that Grayson has a potty mouth would you trade him for a Congressman that cozies up to lobbyists and the status quo?
Why do you assume that it has to be one or the other? Seems to be that Grayson could be just as effective (probably more) without the "potty mouth". As noted, you were pretty happy with his grilling of Bernecke. He didn't have to resort to name calling or profanity to get his message across.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Why do you assume that it has to be one or the other? Seems to be that Grayson could be just as effective (probably more) without the "potty mouth". As noted, you were pretty happy with his grilling of Bernecke. He didn't have to resort to name calling or profanity to get his message across.
Of course it doesn't have to be one of the other.

But Grayson "does" make these outlandish statements. And he "is" a standing Congressman.

Would you want him replaced with a genteel talking, mild mannered Congressman who does not take on the corruption and defend Civil Liberties?

If you could snap your fingers and make it so?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Is it ok for a cop to yell at you simply because he pulled you over for speeding?

Do you think a person with power should be able to insult those they have power over? Do you think that wont lead to corruption and more power going to the persons head.

Interesting question: "Is it ok for a cop to yell at you simply because he pulled you over for speeding??

Well, my guess is that YOU would think it was perfectly okay for a cop to yell at a person he/she pulled over for speeding if it turned out that the person speeding had just robbed a bank, or was leaving home after beating his/her family senseless, etc., etc.....or drunk, or non-cooperative....on and on.

Do you think that people who have power never insult those over whom they have power? Like, for example, the cop? Jade, you must live in a very innocent world.

And, NO, I do not think that Grayson had "power" over the lobbyist.......my opinion would be that most lobbyists have a lot of power over politicians.......they helped BUY that power in fact. I think Grayson could say what he did because he isn't "owned" by corporations or their lobbyists.

A lobbyist is DIFFERENT from You, Jade. They have much, much, much more power than you have.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Actually, he had many in his own party, including House Leader Hoyer calling for an apology.
So what? You don't think there are stupid, manipulative Democrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies