Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly4us View Post
I'm a Marine Corps Iraq Vet who just had his testicle taken out on Thursday for possible cancer. I'm being told that I'm going to need about 4 weeks off and my job offers me no sick or personal days. I rent an apartment and have been working a job paycheck to paycheck since the recession started. Although I am a class away from my undergraduate degree nobody is currently hiring anyone with only academic experience. Since I rent a place, I'm probably going to loose it and be another scraggly looking war vet on the streets. Though a much younger looking one. So to answer the question, you should get sick time to keep hardworking people off of the streets.
Why don't you talk to the landlord. Tell them the situation. Show them some type of medical record.

See if you can work out some type of payment plan for the rent for the next month. Or maybe 2 months if you need it.

You might have to pay a little extra but it would probably be worth it.

It costs a landlord a lot of money and time to re-rent an apartment. I'm thinking they would rather keep you in there than go through all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Better to be working, even under minimum wages, than not having a job.
Not always, if you're sick, as many Americans are, you can lose your job and go into bankruptcy further destroying your life and the lives of your family.

Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds
Illness and medical bills caused half of the 1,458,000 personal bankruptcies in 2001, according to a study published by the journal Health Affairs.
The study estimates that medical bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans annually -- counting debtors and their dependents, including about 700,000 children.

I'm aware that this is a 2005 article, but it hasn't gotten any better in the past decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I feel happy when I look at that pic you posted. Those companies give people a choice to buy their products or not or to work for them or not. They create prosperity. With government, there is only force, there is no choice.
Anything other than your opinion?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Anything other than your opinion?
That's a pretty simple concept. You are free to buy a product from a specific company or not. You are free to work for a specific company or not. If you choose not to do business with them they don't threaten you with monetary fines or jail.

Don't do what the government says and you face fines and/or jail time.

The only way government operates is by the threat of force. The capitalist does not need to use force.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
That's a pretty simple concept. You are free to buy a product from a specific company or not. You are free to work for a specific company or not. If you choose not to do business with them they don't threaten you with monetary fines or jail.

Don't do what the government says and you face fines and/or jail time.

The only way government operates is by the threat of force. The capitalist does not need to use force.
Anything but your opinion? Seriously, repeating something with no proof = opinion.

_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the above problem should be addressed in that case. Where I work, spontaneous time off is also a problem due to scheduling. I don't think the solution is to rescind sick time, or require a doctor's excuse for every absence. You don't want people clogging up dr's offices with bad colds and such so they can get an excuse.
My employer asks for a doctor excuse if you are sick for 3 days or more. I think that's fair. Last year, my supervisor told me to go home and not come back until the following week. I was sick as a dog, but had a few deadlines and my office door closes so no one would be affected by my sniffling and sneezing.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Considering the number of jobs that are the source of workers illness, its a win win deal for employers. There are toxic buildings with bad air systems, sitting for long periods of time, carpel tunnel, back pain, people get colds, flu , H1N1,and MRSA from the work place, not to mention the long term effects for people who work around toxic metals, dust, cigarettes, and Chemicals. Most employers are not required to tell you that there are health hazards associated with this job. There is or was a microwave popcorn factory were many workers needed heart and lung transplants after many years on the job. I can't think of many jobs outside of the field of athletic trainer not associated a health hazard no matter how small.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
This is why we need to move away from sick days vs. vacation days and just make one pool of Paid Time Off. If you're sick, you take days from your PTO bank. If you want to go on vacation, you take days from your PTO bank.

This also incetivizes people to not frivolously call in sick since PTO would roll over year to year (up to a maximum, of course). Sick days, for the most part, are use them or lose them.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
A friend of mine retired as a state employee. Since he never took many vacations or sick days he got checks for the time accrued. one was around $10,000. That is quite an incentive to not BS the system. Most jobs will let you accrue more sick days than vacation days.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I watch certain fellow employees get a virtual extra week of vacation every year by calling in sick, I am more and more beginning to think that company "sick pay" is a bad idea.
What would you do if you hired somebody- let's say a painter to paint your house. He says he will paint it Monday but then he calls you on Sunday and says he won't be able to come tomorrow because he is sick. But then on Tuesday he shows up demanding that you pay him.
Paying employees for being ill is pretty much the same thing in my view. A business pays people to work and not to be ill. Now, have I taken it myself? Yes. 3 days in the last 15 years. Once for a toothache and emergency dental appointment to stop the pain and once for the flu.
But others seem to have the idea that sick pay is like "extra vacation" time. They take it every year. If I ran a business, there would be no "sick pay". If you were sick, your options would be:

1. Use your vacation days
2. You can elect to put 1 hour of pay each 2 weeks into a "sick account" that will give you about 3 days every year in an account you can draw from if you are sick. You can save as many days as you wish and if you don't use them, you will get the money back when you leave or retire.
3. You can elect to purchase "sick insurance" that will pay you when you are ill and cannot work.
My job puts me into direct contact with diseases and funk. I have to go and look it up later because many times I have never even heard of it or have heard of it but don't know the ramifications of it. And there is always the possibly of coming into contact with it and taking it home to my child.

So, at this point in time, considering that the public has already figured out a way for me not to get paid overtime and essentially I work for free after 40 hours. I'm thinking you can just pay me the damn sick leave.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Netflix lets its staff take as much holiday as they want, whenever they want – and it works
Silicon Valley success story, Netflix, shows how a non-policy on holidays can provide the break you need.

So the company scrapped its formal plan. Today, Netflix's roughly 600 salaried employees can vacation any time they desire for as long as they want – provided that their managers know where they are and that their work is covered.

This ultra flexible, freedom-intensive approach to holiday time hasn't exactly hurt the company. Launched in 1999, Netflix now has market cap of nearly $7bn (£4.5bn). Meanwhile, its chief rival, the video rental chain Blockbuster, last month was delisted from the New York Stock Exchange.

Netflix lets its staff take as much holiday as they want, whenever they want – and it works - Telegraph

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anything but your opinion? Seriously, repeating something with no proof = opinion.

_________
Why should I provide proof? I don't see you providing any.

Please give me an example of a capitalist that forces someone to work for them or buy a product by threat of fine or jail.

Please give an example of a mandatory government program that does not include the use of fines/jail for not complying with it?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies