Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

GM Plant To Reopen In Joe Biden’s Hometown Of Wilmington,Delaware…The Bailouts Were All About Cronyism | Infidels Paradise

Imagine the odds that this happens to be in Joe Bidens home town..

And to sell the new vehicles that will be produced, taxpayers will have to subsidize them..

The U.S.-made car will cost $48,000, closer to $40,000 after federal tax rebates, the company says.

I thought the cash 4 clunkers was over, but it appears we are just continuing subsidizing the big corporations.

Is this really a long term solution for anything? Cant american produce anything of quality and sell it without taxpayers subsidizing it?

Dont get me wrong, I'm glad to see a factory opening up, but does anyone think its a coincidence that its GM, a government owned company, opening up a factory in the vice presidents home town, using taxpayers money finance the creation and opening of the warehouse ($528.7Million) and then subsidized by the taxpayers to help push the final product out the door.

To further expound upon this..
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo...n-delaware.php

This is proof positive that our efforts to create new jobs, invest in a clean energy economy and reduce carbon pollution are working," said Energy Secretary Steven Chu.

Is it really working if the taxpayers and not the freemarket or investors are financing ALL OF IT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM

432 posts, read 605,059 times
so it only took what.. over $100,000,000,000 ... over $300,000,000,000 ... do I need to go on?

to make GM actually open another plant? Wow! if we give every business $100,000,000,000 of taxpayer money, every business might be able to open another branch!!!!!!!! We will all be prosperous then!!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Educate yourself on how much Japan and Germany subsidize their auto industries and create massive tariffs to protect their market share.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no free market. If our industry is going to compete globally, putting them out there to fend for themselves without any government support is automatically a major disadvantage.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Educate yourself on how much Japan and Germany subsidize their auto industries and create massive tariffs to protect their market share.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no free market. If our industry is going to compete globally, putting them out there to fend for themselves without any government support is automatically a major disadvantage.
I dont need to educate myself on other countries subsidizing their industries. Everytime they begin to, unions stand up and start yelling for protectionism and increased tarrifs..

So you think its ok that we do this while protesting other countries doing it?

At least Bush increased tarrifs to even the playingfield when this took place with steel, he didnt jump up and buyup the steel industries and then subsidize the sales of the products.
USATODAY.com - Bush imposes steel tariffs
Ok, this might not have been the best move, but surely neither is buying up industries and then making the taxpayers pay for the losses either.

Talk to me about education when you can tell me why you think its ok for us to do it, but not other countries..

and btw, before you think its a "Republican thing".. Obama JUST imposed tarrifs on tires a month ago because they were being subsidized by the Chinese government
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_284271.html

So we can subsidize the auto industry, but Chinese cant subsidize TIRES (and why hasnt this made the news?)

Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
"Production is scheduled to begin in late 2012. Fisker Automotive anticipates
Project NINA will ultimately create or support 2,000 factory jobs and more
than 3,000 vendor and supplier jobs by 2014, as production ramps up to full
capacity of 75,000-100,000 vehicles per year. More than half will be
exported, the largest percentage of any domestic manufacturer.

"The modernized Wilmington Assembly plant was selected for its size, production
capacity, world-class paint facilities, access to shipping ports, rail lines
and available skilled workforce."

Fisker Automotive to Buy U.S. Assembly Plant to Build Affordable Plug-in Hybrid Cars | Reuters

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times
Sounds like Ford is at a disadvantage trying to compete with Government Motors and it's deep pockets.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont need to educate myself on other countries subsidizing their industries. Everytime they begin to, unions stand up and start yelling for protectionism and increased tarrifs..

So you think its ok that we do this while protesting other countries doing it?

At least Bush increased tarrifs to even the playingfield when this took place with steel, he didnt jump up and buyup the steel industries and then subsidize the sales of the products.
USATODAY.com - Bush imposes steel tariffs
Ok, this might not have been the best move, but surely neither is buying up industries and then making the taxpayers pay for the losses either.

Talk to me about education when you can tell me why you think its ok for us to do it, but not other countries..

and btw, before you think its a "Republican thing".. Obama JUST imposed tarrifs on tires a month ago because they were being subsidized by the Chinese government
Obama Imposes Tariffs On Chinese Tires

So we can subsidize the auto industry, but Chinese cant subsidize TIRES (and why hasnt this made the news?)[/QUOTE]
It has been in the news and as a matter of fact, on more than one or two threads here on CD. What's the problem you are having with higher tarrifs on Chinese tires?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Sounds like Ford is at a disadvantage trying to compete with Government Motors and it's deep pockets.
those greedy ***** at Ford? Screw them, they don't want taxpayer money, they can leave America then..

Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It has been in the news and as a matter of fact, on more than one or two threads here on CD. What's the problem you are having with higher tarrifs on Chinese tires?

It makes tires for American consumers more expensive.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
It makes tires for American consumers more expensive.
So? That's all that it boils down to for you, save a few bucks on a damn tire. Doesnt matter that the Chinese have broken trade agreements and spit in our faces as they continue to "consume" us. Just to save a few bucks on a tire...gheez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies