Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Arizona, Big NO, here
I have to agree with this..I just moved from New Jersey 15 months ago. My property taxes on my tiny NJ home were 6 thousand a year. Here in arizona...2 thousand. GO Phillies! Just needed to say that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I have to agree with this..I just moved from New Jersey 15 months ago. My property taxes on my tiny NJ home were 6 thousand a year. Here in arizona...2 thousand. GO Phillies! Just needed to say that
Go Phillies, Game 1 tonight

Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Trying to hijack the thread into another of your pointless voucher-promotiung monologues? Don't want to pay taxes? Go live in an area that has really lousy services. That's the price of admission.

Meanwhile, DC public schools vary considerably by neighborhood. Not very surprisingly, affluent upper Northwest neighborhoods tend to have quite a number of very good schools, and the still down-in-the-dumps corners of Southeast don't. The school system, like the rest of the city in many ways, is still in recovery from the decades when everything here was run by Congress and the population of the city was 80% Black. That was not a good combination. The city has had ANY form of home rule at all only since 1973, and it took a while to get anything actually functional into operation after that. There once were a number of model schools in DC. Folks moved here from around the country to attend them. Then things fell on hard times, and the city is working now to make its way back. Hacks who want to use the DC schools as fodder for their unrelated personal political battles are no particular help.
A little touchy there, saggy? All I said was that high tax dollar spending does not necessarily mean an area's schools are good. Washington, D.C. isn't the only example of that; Chicago's and Detroit's schools also spend a lot and are quite lousy. Due diligence is required.

You make the classic mistake of equating high taxing body spending with high quality services, and are now very touchy on being called out on that.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Arizona. Home with 1 acre tax on property : Simple town/ gateway to Tourist attraction 375 dollars.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Friends live in Bluffton, SC and pay less than $800 on a $250,000 home. Here in IL, the taxes on that home would be ~$5,000.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Would you ever leave your town/city because of taxes?

How does it compare to your list of factors that would make you consider moving? Is it at the top of the list? The bottom? Somewhere in the middle? (Consider that taxes are separate from cost of living.)

I ask because I read a story this morning about wealthy people leaving Manhattan because of taxes but the funny thing is that they are being replaced by poorer people. That is obviously not good for the city because it's less revenue for more services. But, I don't want you to consider the question from the town's/city's perspective, just your own. Where would taxes rank on your list for wanting to leave the town/city where you live?
I did, I left California because of taxes, fees, regulation, and a slew of other political processes that increased the cost of living to unreasonable levels.

As for the last question, they rank extremely high (top of the list). High taxes are a sign of irresponsible government and if taxes are raised high, you can count of the fact that numerous other issues will simulate the hike. In California where I lived, higher taxes came in the forms of state, property, licensing increases for vehicle, building, business, etc... It came in the form of usage penalties for electricity use and environmental fees and regulations. It came in the form of state assisted program taxes, special taxes on products (paper bags combined with the removal of plastic) and the list goes on and on.

So many people think "taxes" are simply one bill, one assessment, but if you truly wish to see the level of money you pay in "taxes" or rather government payout, then you need to add up all of the factors. When you do, reaching 40-50% or more tax becomes a reality for many.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
So you know this from your own personal experience?
Hmmm. Let me ask you, first, if you have ever been to Bulgaria, and second, what sort of faith you have in the notion that Bulgaria actually exists?

One of the principal reasons why the human species no longer lives as cavemen did is that we learned how to accomplish exchanges of information between knowledgeable individuals. If we all relied exclusively upon that which we had personally seen or done, we would still be living in the Dark Ages. As many right-wingers would seem wont in fact to do. But do proceed of course tell me how many flat-screen plasma TV's you personally believe those living on welfare typically have...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A little touchy there, saggy? All I said was that high tax dollar spending does not necessarily mean an area's schools are good.
In a thread about the effect of perceived high taxes on relocation decisions and a post in particular concerning the relationship between state and local revenues collected and services provided down at the lower end of the scale. The fact that the word "schools" has appeared in a thread is neither a signal nor a justification for launching yet another public-schools-suck diatribe.

Quote:
You make the classic mistake of equating high taxing body spending with high quality services, and are now very touchy on being called out on that.
You know, I was pretty sure that I was calling attention to the common association between low services and low taxes. You seem to have rewritten that somewhat in an attempt to make it more suitable to your purposes. And as you should have learned by now from the frequency with which you've been hammered for it, BS is about the only thing I'm actually touchy about...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
In a thread about the effect of perceived high taxes on relocation decisions and a post in particular concerning the relationship between state and local revenues collected and services provided down at the lower end of the scale. The fact that the word "schools" has appeared in a thread is neither a signal nor a justification for launching yet another public-schools-suck diatribe.
And yet... YOU are the one who brought schools into the discussion, AND associated lousy schools with low/no taxes.
Quote:
Don't want to pay at all? Look for some place that has lousy schools, no culture, crumbling roads, spotty police, fire, and ambulance service, no libraries, run-down parks, and where you are going to be relying on well water and a septic system. Chances are that you might save a few bucks by living in a place like that.
Now, you're whining because your faulty logic has come back to bite you in the butt.

Quote:
You know, I was pretty sure that I was calling attention to the common association between low services and low taxes. You seem to have rewritten that somewhat in an attempt to make it more suitable to your purposes.
What I posted is suitable to anyone's purpose. Why isn't it in everyone's best interest to actually confirm the fact that high levels of spending equate to high levels of services? Everyone knows you can't make the assumption that one necessarily assures the other. Well... except maybe you.

Quote:
And as you should have learned by now from the frequency with which you've been hammered for it, BS is about the only thing I'm actually touchy about...
That 'claim' exists only in your wounded ego, and the only BS here is yours.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Now, you're whining because your faulty logic has come back to bite you in the butt.
*chuckle* I could do without all the things he claims, the only one that may seem I may need is misleading as well. My father had a heart attack and died, the company who provided the ambulance sent a bill for 10k. So much for providing for public service ehh? I would have to say that fire and medical can go to hell as well, at least with a private company I know I can take them to court if they try to pull one over on me. If it is the state, tough as they stick it to you because they are exempt. Yeah, public services can... excuse my french... but they can stick their services up their rear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies