Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
This makes me extremely proud. As a US Army Veteran I would and will do the same thing. Although I feel every American should want to preserve the integrity of the flag, the symbol this great nation, I don't expect anyone to. I didn't expect anyone else to when I raised my hand and took an oath, I wouldn't expect anyone else to take corrective measures to preserve the symbol of freedom.

I am a civilian now, but it doesn't make me any less proud of this country.

I stand by my word
. If anyone sees this in the Tampa/St. Pete area, feel free to Private Message me, I will gladly come on over and make an on the spot correction.
I'm not in your area but if I were I'd be glad to give you a hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Roy, when did you become the arbiter of what good behavior is for anyone?
There are numerous veterans and active duty members of Mexican descent.

Do you hate my German landlords for flying the American flag to honor my country?

Why is what another person does your business?
So are you saying the should be wearing the Mexican flag and not the American flag on their uniforms?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So are you saying the should be wearing the Mexican flag and not the American flag on their uniforms?
I don't think so, TIM.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Turns out I was wrong, it's not illegal to fly another country's flag above the US flag.
The Reno Police Department said in a statement Wednesday that while the U.S. Code establishes protocol for the display of the American flag in relation to other flags, the protocol “is advisory and is not a criminal statute.

“There is no sanction for violation of the protocol and is not enforceable by local law enforcement,” the statement said.
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Nation -- Reno police, ACLU join flap over Mexican flag

Also,

Veteran Removes Illegal [sic] Mexican Flag, May Be Charged

(^ "May" = typical infowars inflammatory hyperbole, but if that owner were to press charges that veteran could be charged with theft.)

Also, was he just walking around with that big Army knife, or did he go home and get it? It wasnt concealed right there, but....
United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Section 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and it is not widely enforced — indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Take all Mexican flags down and burn them.

They should not be allowed to fly in America.

He is a hero and we ALL need to start doing this.

No more Mexican flags. Time to put an end to it.
Does that go for Irish and Italian flags, because I would pay to watch someone take one down (and the resultant aftermath) in South Philly.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't know about Jon Carry but most veterans who didn't take part in the Winter Soldier meetings so long ago would do what this man did. I especially like how this video ended.

YouTube - American Veteran Removes US Flag from beneath Mexican Flag
As much as I hate to see that someone was flying Mexican flag over US, the first amendment would apply here, assuming a citizen involvement.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Section 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and it is not widely enforced — indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.
I say that one of the three people in that video was a citizen of the US and really think the other two were non-citizens and probably illegal aliens. I doubt that they didn't know the "rule" about how to fly those two flags. They were trying to show allegiance to the flag they preferred. Send them back home, I say.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
I kind of got the impression from that video that the mexican guy was baffled as to what was going on or more to the point, why. MR Brossert was it? should have explained to the mexican what was wrong with what he was doing.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Roy, when did you become the arbiter of what good behavior is for anyone?
There are numerous veterans and active duty members of Mexican descent.

Do you hate my German landlords for flying the American flag to honor my country?

Why is what another person does your business?
As an old soldier I just don't see letting those, probably illegal aliens fly that flag that way.

As for those of Mexican descent you mention I doubt if many of them would want to see that happening either. I know many people of Mexican descent of up to 5 generations who just don't take kindly to what most illegals want to do with flags and bringing their culture to push off on the Americans of Mexican descent with them.

If a German in Germany flies his flag it should be above that of anyone else. What is wrong with that? These guys tried their little trick and ended up without a US flag to fly.

When in Rome do as the Romans do. Take that and put the US in place of the Romans and you have what I see as the rule to follow to avoid having some old soldier cutting down your flag display.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Does that go for Irish and Italian flags, because I would pay to watch someone take one down (and the resultant aftermath) in South Philly.
I had an Irish friend in the Army who came from the toughest part of South Philly but that didn't make him liable to fly an Irish flag above that of the US. Maybe that was just too long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies