Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times

Advertisements

Agreed, Memphis. The state should have no part in the union of two consenting adults. There should be no tax benefits from it, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I have a question for you if I may ask -

Why do gays care so much about a government recognizing their marriage?
Man, it must be so nice to be in the majority and take things like that for granted.

I think it's less about government recognizing it than society recognizing it, but like it or not, our laws represent who we are as a society, what we accept, and what we don't.

Quote:
I'm straight, and currently not married, but when I do get married, I am not going to care or need a government certificate claiming that I am married.
Of course not. You're in the majority as a heterosexual, and so you take that option for granted. Also, I would guess that your position is unusual. Most heterosexuals who live together as a couple long-term do choose to get married. Maybe your question should be directed toward heterosexual couples: Why do so many of them get married?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Okay, I know that Leslie Stahl isn't exactly a Harvard scientist, but this is one news story that explores the idea that hormonal levels may be a factor in determining sexual orientation.

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - 60 Minutes - CBS News

This Wikipedia article also discusses the subject:

Prenatal hormones and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,372,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Okay, I know that Leslie Stahl isn't exactly a Harvard scientist, but this is one news story that explores the idea that hormonal levels may be a factor in determining sexual orientation.

Why, when the idea of gay marriage comes up, do we always have to rehash the "choice vs. nature" arguement?

It shouldn't matter if its a choice or if you were born that way. Gay marriage is a civil rights issue. If marriage is a religious based ceremony, then the state shouldn't be participating. If marriage is a union of two adults living together, then it shouldn't matter what your sexual orientation is.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:02 AM

And even if it is caused by some hormones prior to birth, why does that mitigate your civil rights, etc?

Sorry, AUM, but I think a better answer to ManGAD's question about why gays care about marriage is that being married will help with little matters like inheritance, medical power of attorney, child custody...you know, potentially catastrophic situations in which married couples now enjoy automatic legal protections but gays can get screwed pretty quick.

AZ,

Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,284,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I've seen that episode. It doesn't exclusively point to hormonal changes as the potential cause behind homosexuality. They claimed it's possibly due to several factors including hormone levels. In short it's multifactorial.

You might find this interesting. This is an abstract from the the Journal of Endocrinology, a reputable medical journal.

Forty-two members of a Lesbian organization volunteered to participate in a study designed to seek organic abnormalities. Urinary levels of oestrone, oestradiol, oestriol, pregnanediol, 17-oxosteroids, 17-hydroxycorticosteroids, testosterone and epitestosterone were determined. No consistent pattern of hormonal abnormality emerged. Thirty-seven of the subjects completed the Eysenck Personality Inventory and 39 completed a questionnaire. The mean neuroticism score for the group was significantly higher and the mean extraversion score was significantly lower than in the normal population. This finding of dysthymia was reflected to some extent by the high incidence of past psychiatric treatment for anxiety and/or depression.

HOMOSEXUAL WOMEN: AN ENDOCRINE AND PSYCHOLOGICAL STUDY -- GRIFFITHS et al. 63 (3): 549 -- Journal of Endocrinology

Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why, when the idea of gay marriage comes up, do we always have to rehash the "choice vs. nature" arguement?
I think it was just a side discussion that some of us find interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And even if it is caused by some hormones prior to birth, why does that mitigate your civil rights, etc?

Sorry, AUM, but I think a better answer to ManGAD's question about why gays care about marriage is that being married will help with little matters like inheritance, medical power of attorney, child custody...you know, potentially catastrophic situations in which married couples now enjoy automatic legal protections but gays can get screwed pretty quick.
You're right, stan. I was speaking for myself, really. He sort of asked me to answer his question as a representative of all gay people, and that's impossible for me to do.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 AM

Well, it's not like what you said isn't true. When it's not an issue, it's hard to understand why it is an issue for others.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This finding of dysthymia was reflected to some extent by the high incidence of past psychiatric treatment for anxiety and/or depression.
I can certainly relate to that part. When you grow up in a society that tells you there's something fundamentally wrong with you and is often hostile about it, it's hard to not end up with some form of anxiety or depression.

Thanks for the info, though. It's good that we have people here who do care about real science.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, it's not like what you said isn't true. When it's not an issue, it's hard to understand why it is an issue for others.
And yet the question is asked on this forum repeatedly - probably every day. I certainly understand how it's not possible to know what it's like to be someone different, but it's too bad so many of them are hostile about it. Their attitude is essentially: "What's wrong with you? It's not a problem for me, so it shouldn't be a problem for you." They're lacking in empathy, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies