Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
There is a group that is made up for people with gay friends and family, I was watching a program on it the other day in LOGO. I can't remember what they were called, Parents and Friends of ...something like that PFLAG I think?? I thought about joining to support my friends.
Yes, it's called PFLAG, and is a wonderful organization... they always march at our Pride parades, and it's so great to see all the supportive friends & family - including some people you'd NEVER expect to see at a Pride parade! Here's more info on it: http://www.pflag.org/

Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Spot on Sonicido, though I'm sure we can still extend the hand of friendship and tolerance to lawyers and other such professions and try to redeem them !
LOL... my sister is an attorney, so I appreciate that! She works in city government, assisting the Chief of Police and City Manager, so there are non-evil lawyer jobs too - they don't all work in a courtroom, which some people forget! Sorry to get off-topic, but if we're talking about tolerance, that should apply to lawyers too... hehe.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, I know I'll be shot down and villified but I'm stupid enough to do it. I guess. I am a Christian mom. Yes, most conservative Christians will tell you that practicing homosexuality is considered by their religion to be a sin. I personally would say the same. Yes, we can argue all day long and all night long ad nauseum about how stupid we Christians are to take the Bible that literally and how we "pick and choose" scriptures to believe etc. It's a discussion that's still going on over on the religion forum. But I just don't understand why believing a certain lifestyle is sinful constitutes "hating homosexuals" or being homophobic. I, for one certainly do not hate homosexuals. Far, far from it. I have great compassion for them. I have known homosexuals and I respect and love them as people. (I am being as honest as I know how to be about that.) Just because I disagree with their lifestyle does not keep me from honestly loving them as people. Their sexual preference is NOT the entire sum of who they are anyway.

However... and here it comes, I do not support legalizing marriage between homosexuals etc because I DO believe that practicing homosexuality is against God's Word. People ask, "Well, what do you care? Why does that affect you?" You're right. It doesn't. But I do think it affects society as a whole in the long run in that it "legitimizes" a behavior which I believe to be wrong in God's sight. And yes, as a society, we DO impose our collective morality on people by the laws we make. Despite my compassion, I can't change my convictions about this.
I would never expect anyone to change their convictions, but I hope you realize that your statements don't make too much sense... you understand it doesn't affect your life, and that it's a personal morality issue, right? While we do impose some moralities on the law, that's typically only when it can HURT other people - and even some things that hurt others (like drinking) are still legal. So where do the morality judgments end? Can we impose laws based on other "preferences", such as sexual fetishes, food preferences, clothing style, foul language (in personal conversation), interracial love, music, etc? Those are just some lame examples that come to mind, but hopefully you get my point... that just because some people find another's life to be "sinful", that doesn't necessarily mean it should be against the law.

Bottom line - gay marriage would not hurt you, nor would you even notice a difference in society if it were allowed. Homosexuality and gay couples will still exist whether or not it's legal, so the only thing you'd notice would be a ring on their fingers (which they can get anyway, and even have a civil ceremony to celebrate the union). Sorry to go off on this tired debate again, but I just can't fathom how people think this will affect their lives one bit.

P.S. Since you use the Bible as your primary "source", there are LOTS of legal things that go against the Bible... and that's what we mean, when you hear the argument about picking & choosing what to follow. We're all hypocrites sometimes, but to pretend you aren't is the real hypocrisy.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-11-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
I would love and support them, of course. I feel sad for the "Christians" who would actually believe that their gay child was committing a "sin" against God. Being gay is not a choice, it is what it is, like being left handed, or having blues eyes or blonde hair.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I would love and support them, of course. I feel sad for the "Christians" who would actually believe that their gay child was committing a "sin" against God. Being gay is not a choice, it is what it is, like being left handed, or having blues eyes or blonde hair.
Yes, you're absolutely right... some people take the word "preference" to mean "choice", but that just isn't the case. Just like I have a preference for chicken over beef, that's simply how I was born - no logical reason why, but I know what I like! Oh, and that's why I always use the term "sexual orientation" instead, since it's a more accurate description.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
I feel sad for "people" who think that someone having "beliefs" that they don't "impose" on "others" are doing something "sad".

Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I appreciate your stepping up to the home plate and offering your own perspective. I believe I understand much of what you've said, and the issue of how legalizing marriage has a larger implication to you, and perhaps other Christians, but as you may know, as much as I understand your position, I can't accept it as a reason to deny others, in this case, same-sex partners, all the benefits of union.

I don't want the issue to polarize, but if that is what it takes to bring equality to same-sex partners, I'll have to bear with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, I know I'll be shot down and villified but I'm stupid enough to do it. I guess. I am a Christian mom. Yes, most conservative Christians will tell you that practicing homosexuality is considered by their religion to be a sin. I personally would say the same. Yes, we can argue all day long and all night long ad nauseum about how stupid we Christians are to take the Bible that literally and how we "pick and choose" scriptures to believe etc. It's a discussion that's still going on over on the religion forum. But I just don't understand why believing a certain lifestyle is sinful constitutes "hating homosexuals" or being homophobic. I, for one certainly do not hate homosexuals. Far, far from it. I have great compassion for them. I have known homosexuals and I respect and love them as people. (I am being as honest as I know how to be about that.) Just because I disagree with their lifestyle does not keep me from honestly loving them as people. Their sexual preference is NOT the entire sum of who they are anyway.

However... and here it comes, I do not support legalizing marriage between homosexuals etc because I DO believe that practicing homosexuality is against God's Word. People ask, "Well, what do you care? Why does that affect you?" You're right. It doesn't. But I do think it affects society as a whole in the long run in that it "legitimizes" a behavior which I believe to be wrong in God's sight. And yes, as a society, we DO impose our collective morality on people by the laws we make. Despite my compassion, I can't change my convictions about this.

My point in responding here is simply this, I know that many on this forum are in sharp disagreement and as a society, we are as well, but I guess I just hope that I can somehow this morning at least put a dent in the so widely held opinion that Christians are somehow "against" homosexuals or hate them in any way.

As far as the parents of homosexuals children go, my heart breaks for you. As I said, earlier, I am a parent too. I know that as parents, we would do anything to not see our child in pain. Blessings on you today.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
But you ARE "imposing" your warped, religious "beliefs" on gays by disallowing gay marriage, insurance and or health decisions, tax benefits, etc... for gay people. They are treated like second rate citizens due to people with YOUR beliefs that gays are somehow sinning against some "gay hating" guy, with a white beard, sitting on a throne in the clouds! Who sounds sad now? It's 2007 for crying out loud, we aren't cavemen...live and let live!
This is exactly what I'm talking about. No longer is it acceptable for someone to have their own opinions. You just went on a rant bashing me and my beliefs in the same clueless fashion as most far left people such as yourself.

I clearly stated that I believed something as MY opinion. Not only would I not hold MY opinion against a child of mine if they turned out gay, I don't hold it against anyone I run into in life that is. I don't care if they legalize gay "marriage" other than I personally like "marriage" in the dictionary as a man and woman. I would prefer they come up with a creative term for their commitments, but if they don't want to and the word marriage is redefined as many other words have to suit the gay community, fine, I won't cry or lose sleep over it I can assure you. I had a gay neighbor in TX that I kept his dog for him when he was out of town, and he kept my dog for me. My best female friend from high school moved in with a gay guy after she left town and I went to stay with them several times visiting. I would be surprised if either of them had ANY clue what my belief is on the subject, because I don't impose my way of thinking on others the way you just did to me in your post.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 PM

99 posts, read 522,275 times
I would love him as i used to but will be a bit disappointed at the fact that i will not be able to play with my grand children

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
tnbound, i agree, i would not change my own views and moral stand on homosexuality, it is still a sin, but I would do as I always do, love the sinner hate the sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies