Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I appreciate the message of the website:

To quote:

--We're putting in longer hours on the job now than we did in the 1950s, despite promises of a coming age of leisure before the year 2000.

--In fact, we're working more than medieval peasants did, and more than the citizens of any other industrial country.

--On average, we work nearly nine full weeks (350 hours) LONGER per year than our peers in Western Europe do.

--Working Americans average a little over two weeks of vacation per year, while Europeans average five to six weeks. Many of us (including 37% of women earning less than $40,000 per year) get no paid vacation at all.

And we're the only developed in the country that I know of without paid maternity leave laws.
Have you ever seen the homes of the average European family? They don't have these McMansions like many Americans do. They are also less obsessed with big-screen TVs, having the latest gadgets, giant SUVs, etc. I'm not saying one lifestyle is superior to the other, but if you want that lifestyle, many times you have to work your tail off to get it. So, I guess my point is that for a lot of people, working so much is a conscious choice.

For me personally, I work long hours to make sure I have enough money to retire and put my kids through school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I used to work four ten hour days and get a three day weekend. It was great. Only thing better is working from home like I do now. Good thing that alien ship crashed and gave us fiber optics.
I've done both of those things. Worked 3rd shift 9pm to 7am 4 days a week some years ago. And my last job was in a home office. The home office takes some getting used to after being used to an office environment for years. I never realized just how quiet it was in my house until then. But I think it would be fantastic if any job that could be worked from home was allowed to be worked from home. It's a really big improvement in a person's quality of life.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I wouldn't mind working a few extra hours a week if that meant I could have a three day weekend instead of two.

And yet Democrats would have us believe that Americans are "too lazy" to do the work that illegals do, such as mowing the lawn or washing dishes.

The fact of the matter is that Americans have such little free time to themselves that the last thing they want to do is waste it mowing their lawn or doing chores. It's easier to pay someone else to do it and spend what little free time you have watching (or playing) football with your kids.
How much tv does the average american watch per week?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Have you ever seen the homes of the average European family? They don't have these McMansions like many Americans do. They are also less obsessed with big-screen TVs, having the latest gadgets, giant SUVs, etc. I'm not saying one lifestyle is superior to the other, but if you want that lifestyle, many times you have to work your tail off to get it. So, I guess my point is that for a lot of people, working so much is a conscious choice.

For me personally, I work long hours to make sure I have enough money to retire and put my kids through school.
If you choose to work longer and get compensated for that, that's fine. But these days many people are forced to work longer just to maintain the same standard of living. I've worked exempt jobs with mandatory overtime and no additional pay. Sometimes they'd buy us lunch. Of course, when they did they expected us to work at our desks through our lunch hours as well as working late.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If you choose to work longer and get compensated for that, that's fine. But these days many people are forced to work longer just to maintain the same standard of living. I've worked exempt jobs with mandatory overtime and no additional pay. Sometimes they'd buy us lunch. Of course, when they did they expected us to work at our desks through our lunch hours as well as working late.
How do they force someone to do what they don't want to do?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I've done both of those things. Worked 3rd shift 9pm to 7am 4 days a week some years ago. And my last job was in a home office. The home office takes some getting used to after being used to an office environment for years. I never realized just how quiet it was in my house until then. But I think it would be fantastic if any job that could be worked from home was allowed to be worked from home. It's a really big improvement in a person's quality of life.
It is quiet during the day that's for sure. No kids running around screaming. lol

Still got the dogs to deal with though. I am at the point I get mad when I gotta go in for meetings now. LOL

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree with the op. The government takes upwards of 50% of my income in the form of federal income taxes, property taxes, state income taxes, FICA taxes, fuel taxes, excise taxes and fees. If it weren't for government confiscation and redistribution of earned income, I could put in a lot less time working. There was a reason that most families got by on one income through the 50s...less greed on the part of government.
And Obama wants increase taxes on the American people again. He wants to enslave us to the government even more.

We downsized and retired because of that very reason. What is the point if the government takes it away. Why do I want to work my azz off to support people who never worked a day in their lives anyway.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Here is the site -- Take Back Your Time

Oct. 24th was Take Back Your Time Day, but obviously, i'm a bit late posting this.

I have to say, i like the general message this group is espousing.

Opinions?!....
The 'movement' is flat out wrong...If you look at legitimate sources you would know that Americans on average work less per week today than we ever have before. This movement has a giant donate button on the site and doesn't cite a single piece of research to back themselves up? Sounds like a scam to me, especially when they are blatantly wrong.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The 'movement' is flat out wrong...If you look at legitimate sources you would know that Americans on average work less per week today than we ever have before. This movement has a giant donate button on the site and doesn't cite a single piece of research to back themselves up? Sounds like a scam to me, especially when they are blatantly wrong.
LOL, they either lost their job and are on UE or welfare. We have the highest number of welfare recipients in history but the liberals and democrats won't tell you that.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, they either lost their job and are on UE or welfare. We have the highest number of welfare recipients in history but the liberals and democrats won't tell you that.
One more graph to show how dumb this movement is. The data states that we are working less hours today than ever before while the GDP/hours worked ratio (adjusted for inflation) continues to rise.

Long story short, we are working less than ever today and have never been more productive, but I am supposed to donate my money to a 'cause' rallying against this? Someone in Seattle is sitting back laughing as he watches these donations pour in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies