U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,657,270 times

Advertisements

Here is the site -- Take Back Your Time

Oct. 24th was Take Back Your Time Day, but obviously, i'm a bit late posting this.

I have to say, i like the general message this group is espousing.

Opinions?!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
My artist brother said to me forty years ago that is was time, not money, that really counted.
Hey, I just now realized he was/is right!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,657,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
My artist brother said to me forty years ago that is was time, not money, that really counted.
Awesome!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Default Work to live

The thing I most regret and, admittedly resent, is having spent so much time working to earn enough money to live comfortably when the Blessed of Mammon live on their unearned inheritances.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 AM

17,016 posts, read 11,383,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The two major commodities in life are time and money. When you are young, money is more important than time. When you are old, time is more important than money. You come to realize that taking days off here and there is more important as you age. Hopefully you have not missed too much when you have come to realize this.

We live in a society which has erected the "goal posts" of retirement as a brass ring that, when one finally grasps it, everything will be great in our lives. In fact, if one has not "lived along the way", a retirement is empty, as one would have few hobbies or interests to pursue with all the extra time.

MANY Americans are now going to have to work much longer than they anticipated. I, for one, could "retire" today. However, work helps organize your life and offers a purpose more important than leisure. One should, given these modern "delayed retirements", take more time off along the way. What am I doing next week? Taking vacation. What does it cost me in income? About $25K (pre-tax). Who cares! I am keeping my plan to reduce my income, partly as a reaction to Obama's tax increases, and partly as a plan to simply have more leisure time. That "leisure time" for me involves working on my farm, as physical labor is an escape.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 03-12-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM

25,336 posts, read 16,284,785 times
I agree with the op. The government takes upwards of 50% of my income in the form of federal income taxes, property taxes, state income taxes, FICA taxes, fuel taxes, excise taxes and fees. If it weren't for government confiscation and redistribution of earned income, I could put in a lot less time working. There was a reason that most families got by on one income through the 50s...less greed on the part of government.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,565,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Taking vacation. What does it cost me in income? About $25K (pre-tax). Who cares! I am keeping my plan to reduce my income, partly as a reaction to Obama's tax increases, and partly as a plan to simply have more leisure time. That "leisure time" for me involves working on my farm, as physical labor is an escape.
Yeah, sure. No one here believes you.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM

10,339 posts, read 7,596,357 times
I appreciate the message of the website:

To quote:

--We're putting in longer hours on the job now than we did in the 1950s, despite promises of a coming age of leisure before the year 2000.

--In fact, we're working more than medieval peasants did, and more than the citizens of any other industrial country.

--On average, we work nearly nine full weeks (350 hours) LONGER per year than our peers in Western Europe do.

--Working Americans average a little over two weeks of vacation per year, while Europeans average five to six weeks. Many of us (including 37% of women earning less than $40,000 per year) get no paid vacation at all.

And we're the only developed in the country that I know of without paid maternity leave laws.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM

17,016 posts, read 11,383,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, sure. No one here believes you.
That is funny. Fortunately I do not need the accolades of anonymous people (or anyone for that matter) to substantiate reality. Any general "data" about me is readily available to anyone who has a computer and an ouce of curiosity.

The fact that "you do not believe me" is comforting and hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM

27,244 posts, read 15,033,121 times
I'm a bit of a workaholic myself; and I work for a company that encourages that. As my son prepares to leave for college this summer; it occurs to me that perhaps I should have taken more days here and there and perhaps not spent week-ends wondering (in the back of my mind) when I was going to fit that extra work in.

As I have gotten older, I've tried to find more balance ~ but, in order to get ahead in a big corporation - extra hours are pretty much required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or