Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't even want to look. It would just sicken me even further.

Have you read Amazon.com: Hostile Takeover: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government--And How We Take It Back (9780307237354): David Sirota: Books ?

I've always known many of the people in Congress were corrupt. I've always had opinions about politics from around the age of 7. My parents would say, "You should go into politics" and my usual reply was, "Nah, too dirty. Too corrupt."

It certainly sucks that a lot of our Congress has been bought and sold. The people barely even count. They could do a poll and 90% of Americans could agree with a certain bill but if Corporate America or Wall Street doesn't like it...good luck.
What gets me is it's considered normal. It's not normal, it's blatant bribery.

How does D Sirota suggest we take it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Wake Up America
Dennis Kucinich DNC Speech

YouTube - Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) Speaks to the DNC

Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What gets me is it's considered normal. It's not normal, it's blatant bribery.

How does D Sirota suggest we take it back?
It drives me nuts. It's acceptable. Is this an alternate universe? This stuff might have always gone on to a degree, but now it is out in the open, in our faces and shoved down our throats. Really, are we on our way to corporate fascism? The Supreme Court is going to vote on giving these giant mosters more power.

Will the Corporate Supremes Now Dance on Democracy's Corpse?

The Four Courtsmen of the Apocalypse are poised to finally bury American democracy in corporate money. The most powerful institution in human history -- the global corporation -- may soon take definitive possession of our electoral process. It could happen very soon.

While America agonizes over health care, energy and war, Justices John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Sam Alito and Clarence Thomas could make it all moot. They may now have the fifth Supreme Court vote they need to open the final floodgates on corporate spending in political campaigns.

Harvey Wasserman: Will the Corporate Supremes Now Dance on Democracy's Corpse?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
“We compromised on single payer by backing a public option, and now we are being asked to compromise the public option with negotiated rates. In conference, we will likely be asked to compromise negotiated rates with a trigger. In each and every step of the health care debate, the insurance companies have won. If they get hundreds of billions of dollars in new taxpayer subsidies, they get to raise their premiums, and increase their co pays and deductibles, while the public is forced to pay for private insurance, then the insurance companies win big.

“If this is the best we can do, then it is time to ask ourselves whether the two-party system is truly capable of representing the American people or whether the system has been so compromised by special interests that we can’t even protect the health of our own people. This is a moment of truth for the Democratic Party. Will we stand for the people or the insurance companies?”

Dennis Kucinich: Is the 2-Party System truly capable of representing the American people? « Dandelion Salad

Kucinich was definitely the best choice for President in the entire Democratic primary and one of 7 or 8 Democrats who were better then John McCain.

The only candidate that would have enacted real, measurable, meaningful grassroots change to the system of a military industrial complex followed closely by a medical industrial complex was Dennis Kucinich, Democrat from Ohio. The Senator from Illinois stood a distant second place

Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Kucinich was definitely the best choice for President in the entire Democratic primary and one of 7 or 8 Democrats who were better then John McCain.

The only candidate that would have enacted real, measurable, meaningful grassroots change to the system of a military industrial complex followed closely by a medical industrial complex was Dennis Kucinich, Democrat from Ohio. The Senator from Illinois stood a distant second place
I ain't no Liberal or nuthin', but I agree with you on this.

100%

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

You don't have to sell me on Kucinich. I supported him throughout the primaries. I still get his newsletter and always read it. You know, people get off on making fun of him, but he is a force to reckon with. I love hearing him speak and he is a true Statesman. I'll always believe tha the powers that be wanted him bumped out of the way very quickly. They eliminated him from a key debate on some asinine technicality. Kucinich iintroduced those articles of impeachment, so you know what would have followed if he had won the White House.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Damn Kucinich is pro fair-trade and also against the two-party system? I love this man.

kucinich.us - Kucinich on Fair Trade 2004

Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,104 times
No, as long as both parties willingly bend over to Israel, who cares what else they think. After all, that's the only thing important, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Don't you think it could become a problem if various parties started shacking up in this coalition or that one, as happens all the time in many European countries? If there's one thing we don't need here, it's a string of coalition governments, with some small, otherwise insignificant party turning out to pull the strings because they suddenly hold the key to a majority decision; things are already tied up enough as it is!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Damn Kucinich is pro fair-trade and also against the two-party system? I love this man.

kucinich.us - Kucinich on Fair Trade 2004
I love him too. I call his office and tell his assistants to thank him for me now and again and I'm not even an Ohio resident.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Kucinich is a lot more normal than old buzzard McCain/weirdo Palin team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I ain't no Liberal or nuthin', but I agree with you on this.

100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies