U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,279,603 times

Advertisements

Saw a number of commentators on TV last night, some of whom were Senators and Representatives. They were talking about the new "Opt-out" provision Harry Reid has announced, that comes with the Government Option he has put back into the Senate's plan.

They said it was hard to get details on exactly how it worked, and they expressed frustration over that. They also said that from what they were told, states could "opt out" of receiving this new Government health care option... but not opt out of paying for it, even if they didn't receive it!

This is bizarre, to put it mildly. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe it. Who on earth would put something like that out as a viable plan? Expecially for the ENTIRE COUNTRY?

Has anyone heard any more details?

Is this new Senate plan really as whacky as that?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Saw a number of commentators on TV last night, some of whom were Senators and Representatives. They were talking about the new "Opt-out" provision Harry Reid has announced, that comes with the Government Option he has put back into the Senate's plan.

They said it was hard to get details on exactly how it worked, and they expressed frustration over that. They also said that from what they were told, states could "opt out" of receiving this new Government health care option... but not opt out of paying for it, even if they didn't receive it!

This is bizarre, to put it mildly. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe it. Who on earth would put something like that out as a viable plan? Expecially for the ENTIRE COUNTRY?

From what I understand, this is accurate. I think Reid is counting on a lot of minds not inquiring.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,889,003 times
What do you mean by "states paying for it"? Elaborate, and provide a credible link.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM

20,017 posts, read 15,722,248 times
paying for it as in the FEDERAL debt that is accumulated from funding a public option is not payable by citizens of these states that opt out.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM

66,443 posts, read 30,302,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
paying for it as in the FEDERAL debt that is accumulated from funding a public option is not payable by citizens of these states that opt out.
Not to mention the portion of the FEDERAL income taxes collected from residents of the opt-out states that goes to pay for it.

Glad to see so many catching on to this scam!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:42 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,279,603 times
Come on. This CAN'T be for real. If you "opt out" of something, that means you will have nothing to do with it... either paying or receiving. Right???

How could it not mean that?

Don't words have any meaning to these Senate Democrats?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Come on. This CAN'T be for real. If you "opt out" of something, that means you will have nothing to do with it... either paying or receiving. Right???

How could it not mean that?

Don't words have any meaning to these Senate Democrats?
You did not address my post. Here it is again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What do you mean by "states paying for it"? Elaborate, and provide a credible link.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You did not address my post. Here it is again:
A state can decide to not to participate if the citizens are not in favor of it. The citizens of that state and the businesses of that state still pay for it through their federal taxes despite their choice to not participate.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,847,217 times
Quote:

You highlight an ongoing problem with this Congress and this President: a sheer lack of details is partly to blame for the uproar this legislation has generated. Either Democrats have something to hide, or they're completely removed from the expectations of the average citizen.

You hit the nail on the head - inquiring minds do want to know, but it seems that the pencil-pushers' in DC don't want you to know - which I believe is by design.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
A state can decide to not to participate if the citizens are not in favor of it. The citizens of that state and the businesses of that state still pay for it through their federal taxes despite their choice to not participate.
1-Federal taxes are NOT a state issue.
2-Which taxes are we talking about?
3-Why is "state" so much more important to many than their "country"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies