Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,324 times

Advertisements

Today's young people are very surly and rude and disrespectful. Back in the 1950s and early 60s people still had manners and they helped people. Neighbors knew each other. Nowadays neighbors don't even know each other. Its like that where I live , and I'm from the South!

So its like society is lacking in manners and we're producing a new generation of delinquints who have evens less manners and so on and so on. Its our culture because of the 60s Generation Liberals- they ruined it for everyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,263,873 times
It's two different issues to some extent.

People don't know their neighbors today for a variety of reasons including: tv, internet, computer games, demise of the family homestead, frequent relocation, women working, busy schedules, not taking time for each other, etc.

The lack of socialization does lead to not learning manners, but there's more to it than that. We were taught both at home and in school, not to mention everyone else we encountered, what proper manners (and proper speech)were. There was a lot of value placed on learning correct behavior (proper handshakes, looking someone in the eye when speaking to them, not interrupting, respect for elders, showing respect by your dress, etc). And it wasn't unusual to have at least one stickler in the family who made sure you knew all this.

We need to renew our empahsis on things that are important if we want to pass them down. Some kids are reticent (ie, act surly), I think, because no one ever gave them the basis for how to act properly. Children now are raised as much by media as by family, and we all know what a depraived influence that can be.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,543 times
I think much of the blame goes to TV. I watch the 24 Hour Cable TV stations and they are always talking to people about the issue of the day. No one is allowed to speak for more than a few seconds. They are constantly being interrupted and screamed at. No one is given any respect. Young people see this on TV and copy this behavior.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:11 PM

164 posts, read 463,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Today's young people are very surly and rude and disrespectful. Back in the 1950s and early 60s people still had manners and they helped people. Neighbors knew each other. Nowadays neighbors don't even know each other. Its like that where I live , and I'm from the South!

So its like society is lacking in manners and we're producing a new generation of delinquints who have evens less manners and so on and so on. Its our culture because of the 60s Generation Liberals- they ruined it for everyone else
You realize that they were saying the same things about Today's Young People in the '50s and early '60s? I agree that neighborhoods aren't as close-knit, but I don't believe that people are any worse today. I know several teenagers and twentysomethings who are well-mannered and helpful, and lots of nasty people brought up in the days when "people still had manners."

Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
You realize that they were saying the same things about Today's Young People in the '50s and early '60s? I agree that neighborhoods aren't as close-knit, but I don't believe that people are any worse today. I know several teenagers and twentysomethings who are well-mannered and helpful, and lots of nasty people brought up in the days when "people still had manners."
Yeah, I am wondering why it is a given that today's teenagers are "surly and rude" across the board. I don't find that to be any more true than any other blanket generalization one could come up with.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Because Emily Post became obsolete in the early sixties. Somewhere along the way everyone became too busy to be very polite themselves, let along train the next generation.. Some of todays kids are being taught manners by their grandparents. I am a grandparent, but my kids passed on what politeness I taught them to their children.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,672,985 times
Ugh . . . I know I am going to get beaten up here but I say that it is a lack of values and morals, specifically Christian values and morals. I would also add that everything has gotten so fast paced that everyone is so caught up with what they have to get done and how fast they have to get it done that they dont have time to slow down and be nice.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,324 times
That's true a lot of folks today don't even go to church. Going to church doesnt make a you a Christian but it helps. Even in the Bible Belt church attendance isn't quite what it used to be, but its better than most areas.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
That's true a lot of folks today don't even go to church. Going to church doesnt make a you a Christian but it helps. Even in the Bible Belt church attendance isn't quite what it used to be, but its better than most areas.
To me it all starts in the home. I have always instilled in my son to say thank you and please, especially when he is a guest in someones home and to this day, I have parents constantly telling me what good manners my son has. He may have other faults and be rude to us, but at least he is respectful to others and even holds doors opened for strangers. That's my boy!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:01 PM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Ugh . . . I know I am going to get beaten up here but I say that it is a lack of values and morals, specifically Christian values and morals. I would also add that everything has gotten so fast paced that everyone is so caught up with what they have to get done and how fast they have to get it done that they dont have time to slow down and be nice.
I don't think going to Church (or Synagogue, as in my case) is necessary for learning respect & manners... doesn't hurt, but as "Puffle" said, it really begins at home. My parents brought us up with good manners, and I met plenty of rude/disrespectful kids at Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies