U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM

41,267 posts, read 24,979,603 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/us/30obama.html
Hot Air Blog Archive Did White House pressure NYT into changing Dover story?

Quote:
Originally, the New York Times reported on President Barack Obama’s visit to Dover AFB and the arrival of fallen serviceman by explaining that the White House wanted Obama to be seen as concerned and aware of the sacrifices made in America’s war policies:

Quote:
The images and the sentiment of the president’s five-hour trip to Delaware were intended by the White House to convey to the nation that Mr. Obama was not making his Afghanistan decision lightly or in haste.
Following that link now, the second paragraph quoted is nowhere to be seen. The Jeff Zeleny report contains no editorial announcement of changes after its publication, and no indication of any retraction.
Sounds like a photo op for the purpose of convincing the nation he is serious about Afghanistan.

The NYT article now reads;

Quote:
The image of the commander in chief standing on a darkened tarmac, offering a salute to one of the soldiers, highlighted the poignancy of a decision he is facing.
But the original is not quite down the rabbit hole;

http://hotair.cachefly.net/images/2009-10/nyt-dover.jpg (broken link)

Now....who would have been unhappy with the implications of the first?

Liz Cheney on the issue;

YouTube - Liz Cheney Speaks Out On Obama's Dover Photo-Op

Bush would go without the cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM

22,810 posts, read 10,473,436 times
"A small contingent of reporters and photographers was quietly called to follow him to Dover, where he met for two hours with members of 14 families."

I'll take this statement by the NYT as total vindication of my sentiments on this thread: Obama honors fallen Americans at Dover

Now, the naysayers were saying? In case you forgot, let me remind you:

AeroGuyDC:

The Narcissist In Chief. Un-freaking believable. The AP has been the lone photographer showing up at Dover for months, but Obama couldn't go show his gratitude without promoting it for the world to see by bringing along his own cadre of photographers. Every one of you that voted for this man are pawns to his arrogance. You should be embarrassed, and the sad part is you don't even recognize it.

Newtoli:

Obama did not "call newspapers from all over", he travels with a press pool like every other President does.

burdell:

SHOCKING! I'm sure no POTUS has ever traveled with reporters and photographers. Perhaps you'd like to supply a link establishing that so we won't think you're just another sour grape munching whiner?

So, again, the naysayers were saying? As I said before, every one of you that voted for Obama are pawns to his arrogance, and you don't even realize it.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 10-30-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM

31,385 posts, read 18,550,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"A small contingent of reporters and photographers was quietly called to follow him to Dover, where he met for two hours with members of 14 families."

I'll take this statement by the times as total vendication of my sentiments on this thread: Obama honors fallen Americans at Dover

Now, the naysayers were saying?
Considering the size of the press corps that routinely covers the President, the local media that would have flocked to Dover had this been a purposefully staged media events makes this group appear about as intimate as a clandestine tryst with an illicit lover.

So your vindication will have to wait a bit longer.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM

22,810 posts, read 10,473,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Considering the size of the press corps that routinely covers the President, the local media that would have flocked to Dover had this been a purposefully staged media events makes this group appear about as intimate as a clandestine tryst with an illicit lover.

So your vindication will have to wait a bit longer.
Not surprisingly, you missed the point entirely. The President should have taken the White House photographer, and thats it. But is that what he did? No, of course not. He called up a cadre of photographers to make sure that this event was captured, fully and completely, for the world to see. This has nothing to do with a speculative media-frenzy. This has everything to do with the narcissism that pervades the White House.

Now we see back-peddling from the New York Times, which only reinforces this notion.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM

13,032 posts, read 6,380,567 times
If he goes and attends at the arrivials of all the fallen as they are returned via Dover, and meets with all the families, I feel that he is showing respect and honor. If he attends just once, with a press contingent in tow to publicize the event, he's a freekin' parasite.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 4,053,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If he attends just once, with a press contingent in tow to publicize the event, he's a freekin' parasite.
How many times do you think Axlerod had him practice that salute in a mirror?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM

56 posts, read 76,765 times
I take it that Ronald Reagan's greeting of the returning military dead, with his wife at his side and photographers galore, was somehow different?

Those of you who are using the nation's dead to hone your political knives -- how can you not feel shame at yourselves?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM

12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylyh View Post
I take it that Ronald Reagan's greeting of the returning military dead, with his wife at his side and photographers galore, was somehow different?

Those of you who are using the nation's dead to hone your political knives -- how can you not feel shame at yourselves?
Oh, you have no idea. The other thread that was eventually locked was way worse.

Obama honors fallen Americans at Dover

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 PM

75,276 posts, read 36,449,990 times
Only 1 family allowed the press.

I also read that Bush went many times and didn't tell the press. Then again the press was not allowed to go to Dover.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM

9,043 posts, read 5,219,679 times
I stand by my opinion that this visit should have been private. Have some respect for the families of the fallen soldiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies