Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

by the obama administration - "not worth the paper it's written on"

Ok. When CBS News comes with a story like this (basically, the truth), you know the claim by the administration is pretty much bogus, WILL be checked and will likely be very embarrassing for obama.

YouTube - CBS: Administration's Trillion-Dollar 'Stimulus' Claims "Hard to Believe"

Quote:
Well, Katie, that report is going to claim that the stimulus has already created or saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, but if the administration`s first effort at counting stimulus jobs is any guide, tomorrow`s numbers could be hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
That must have been very hard for Katie to say.

This gov is becoming a joke and we are just suppose to be stupid and accept it

Does anyone on here actually think a gov official is going to come out and say yes we made a mistake with this stimulus it isnt doing what we thought it would do?

Or do we agree that they are going to say and do whatever to try and make it appear like its working or worked

Old 10-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Pure fantasy;

‘Jobs Created or Saved’ Is White House Fantasy: Caroline Baum - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
When the government distributes lucre or loot, people spend it. If your interest is national income accounting, spending other people’s money is great. Spending is a back-door way for government statisticians to measure what matters, which is the real output of goods and services.

But the government has no money of its own to spend; only what it borrows or confiscates from us via taxation. Oops.

“Government job creation is an oxymoron,” said Bill Dunkelberg, chief economist at the National Federation of Independent Business. It is only by depriving the private sector of funds that government can hire or subsidize hiring.
Which is exactly what the stimulus did.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The government only has one solution to any problem. And I mean the government as in ANY past, present, future administration.

Their one solution to ANY problem is to create a new bureaucracy for it and throw a lot of money at it and hope it fixes itself. Sometimes is works (FDR's programs IMO) but most of the time it doesn't.

The government rarely FIXES anything.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
On NPR this morning they were claiming 600k+ jobs save directly, with upwards of 1m with savings associated with the tax reduction included. Lets give the benefit of the doubt and say 1 million jobs saved or created. Wasn't the stimulus bill $800 billion? For those bad at math, that works out to $800,000 pre job saved/created. WTF did they do, create a bunch of new executive positions at Citibank?

BTW, I thought the link in the OP was well done, a touch of actual reporting, rather than the cheerleading I've come to expect from CBS.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM

432 posts, read 605,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government only has one solution to any problem. And I mean the government as in ANY past, present, future administration.

Their one solution to ANY problem is to create a new bureaucracy for it and throw a lot of money at it and hope it fixes itself. Sometimes is works (FDR's programs IMO) but most of the time it doesn't.

The government rarely FIXES anything.
how was YEARS of depression called fixing the problem? wasn't the war what got us out of the depression eventually? In my opinion and most other people who don't believe everything in the (gov't ran) school history books, is that FDR actually made the depression last a lot longer than if he did nothing at all...

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
how was YEARS of depression called fixing the problem? wasn't the war what got us out of the depression eventually? In my opinion and most other people who don't believe everything in the (gov't ran) school history books, is that FDR actually made the depression last a lot longer than if he did nothing at all...
I meant in the sense that it did create jobs and people were able to work and make some money. Many of those social programs created back then did help the people at the time. I agree it may have prolonged the Depression and I also agree it was the war that ended it, not FDR's programs. But at that time in history, his programs did create jobs and did benefit those people living back then. That did not happen with this stimulus program.

My grandfather told us stories of those jobs programs. You showed up, you got a job and you got money to buy food and keep a roof over your head. In very simplistic terms..it did work.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Old Joe confirms what we all know;

RealClearPolitics - Video - Biden: Job Stats "Not 100 Percent Accurate"

Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
A good way of dealing with Keynesian logic:

YouTube - Internet Arguments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies