Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I've heard that Bush initiated this so he is also to blame. I have no qualms about that!

The one that signs it into law is to blame! D*mn it is sickening that we have a leader *cough*choke* that is sooo lame.

Waaa Bush made me do it! Boo hoo Waaa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I wonder what other countries' immigration policies are concerning folks with contagiouis diseases anyways?
On the HIV issue, we're joined by the wonderful countries of:

Saudi Arabia, Libya, Armenia, Sudan, Russia, Brunei, Columbia, Fiji, Iraq, Moldavia and South Korea.

US ban on HIV positive travelers to be lifted - but not yet! | Positive Life NSW

Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,448 times
Karfar you do realize that not only sex can give you aids? If you have an open wound like a cut or something and an HIV positive person spits on you/licks you/god forbid pees on you, you can catch it. I do not think we s hould stop them from visiting, I do however think we should not allow them to immigrate here. We have enough problems with our healthcare costs, no need to raise them higher.

I will leave the original up, just adding clarification. I believe that they should be allowed to immigrate if they can prove they can provide their own healthcare costs or someone sponsors them that can provide healthcare costs for them.

Last edited by Ciaerin; 10-31-2009 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: clarification.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Karfar you do realize that not only sex can give you aids? If you have an open wound like a cut or something and an HIV positive person spits on you/licks you/god forbid pees on you, you can catch it. I do not think we s hould stop them from visiting, I do however think we should not allow them to immigrate here. We have enough problems with our healthcare costs, no need to raise them higher.
If you would've read my other posts, you would see where I address that. I am not so stupid as to not know the basics, thanks.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
If you have an open wound like a cut or something and an HIV positive person spits on you/licks you/god forbid pees on you, you can catch it.
OH yes, and that happens every day - constantly, in fact! Why - I was just on the bus today when some guy from Egypt - who looked like he had HIV - unzipped his pants and started peeing on a paper cut on my index finger. Guess I better go get an HIV test!

HIV is transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk. It's not transmitted by urine or saliva. Please get educated - and stop spreading ignorance.

How is HIV Transmitted?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
OH yes, and that happens every day - constantly, in fact! Why - I was just on the bus today when some guy from Egypt who looked like he had HIV unzipped his pants and started peeing on a paper cut on my index finger. Guess I better go get an HIV test!

A note for the uninformed: HIV is transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk. It's not transmitted by urine or saliva. Please get educated - and stop spreading ignorance.

How is HIV Transmitted?

Ummm per what I have read while sitting in my doctors office it can be transferred in any bodily fluid. And I have heard of people with HIV/Aids purposefully trying to infect others. Sorry Unidentified, I can not be as cool and informed as you.

oh and
Quote:
[SIZE=1]• [/SIZE][SIZE=1]People cannot become infected by "dry" kissing. Although there are trace amounts of HIV present in the saliva of an infected person, there are no documented cases of HIV infection from kissing. There is a slight risk from deep or French kissing, especially if there are cuts or sores in the mouth.[/SIZE]
Quote:
[SIZE=1]HIV can not be transmitted by a kiss. Experts are not completely certain about HIV transmission through deep, prolonged, or "French" kissing. While scientists believe it is remotely possible, there has never been a known case of HIV transfusion through kissing. Most scientists agree that transmission of HIV through deep or prolonged kissing may be possible, but would be extremely unlikely.[/SIZE]

I was wrong about the urine. For that I apologize.

the above quote can be found here....

stophiv.com - How HIV Is and Isn't Transmitted (http://www.stophiv.com/facts_myths/transmission.html - broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Ummm per what I have read while sitting in my doctors office it can be transferred in any bodily fluid. And I have heard of people with HIV/Aids purposefully trying to infect others. Sorry Unidentified, I can not be as cool and informed as you.

oh and

I was wrong about the urine. For that I apologize.

the above quote can be found here....

stophiv.com - How HIV Is and Isn't Transmitted (http://www.stophiv.com/facts_myths/transmission.html - broken link)
So what's your point then?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
So what's your point then?

My point was that I made a retraction. I am able to say when I was wrong on something. My other point was, we do not need more people raising the costs of healthcare. I agree we should allow them to visit, but the only way they should be able to immigrate is if they have a sponsor that can foot their medical bills for life.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Ummm per what I have read while sitting in my doctors office it can be transferred in any bodily fluid.
It can be found any all body fluids, but that does not mean it can be transmitted through all body fluids. From the CDC:
Saliva, Tears, and Sweat

HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

HIV and Its Transmission | Factsheets | CDC HIV/AIDS (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm - broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Very true Unidentified. Although it has not been shown, caution is the word of the day imho. I do not believe they should be treated like lepers, I do however believe that it is safe to protect yourself completely if you are in contact with someone infected. This does not mean a plastic bubble, or no shaking of hands etc... just use caution and protection. Treat them like people imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies