Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
they wont understand it. wait til highschool
They won't understand what? That some boys like other boys and some girls like other girls? Seems pretty simple to understand. It's no more complicated than the idea that most boys like girls or that most girls like boys.

Kids aren't as ignorant as most of their parents are, I daresay.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Huh? We're talking about human sexuality, and science. I fail to see how educating people is a bad thing, but I understand that many Americans believe in ignorance more than education, so I shouldn't be surprised if some share your opinion.
Timing is everything!

Eggs are people, yet no one is advancing the idea of teaching them sexuality.

I pity those who only have a sex-centered world view.

This kind of thing probably happens to all sexually abused children.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Why even bother sending her to school?

My taxes help pay for that piblic school education, if the goverment can give me a tax break by letting me homeschool, then I would.

problem is, if the goverment did that, they would soon find out how many people would either keep their kids at home and homeschool, or send them off to private schools.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, I teach her not to trust authority to include teachers, cops and the goverment.

the goverment is not there to be anyones friend, they are there to steal your money and give very little in return.
Well the topic at hand was tolerance and the viedo which was included made no mention of sex or anything like that. So if you were to teach her that what is in the video is wrong it would mean you are teaching her to hate.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
And I pity those who think that ignorance and misinformation is a good thing.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
They won't understand what? That some boys like other boys and some girls like other girls? Seems pretty simple to understand. It's no more complicated than the idea that most boys like girls or that most girls like boys.

Kids aren't as ignorant as most of their parents are, I daresay.

then I take it you would not mind having the bible being taught in school either to all children. after all children should be able to understand both sides of the equation.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

It's a compulsion and a neurosis and was considered a mental illness until it was taken off the DSM by a band of raging homosexuals who stormed a conference of the APA.
Just so you know, the decision to remove homosexuality as a mental disorder form the DSM in 1973 was based on sociological, biological and psychological research, as well as a paradigm shift in the field from psychoanalysis to more behavioral, cognitive, humanistic, and interpersonal approaches. Since 1973, hundreds upon hundreds of studies have been done on sexual orientation. No matter how you want to spin it, the research says homosexuality is a viable sexual identity.

Yes, social activism played a role in dropping the diagnosis via generating interest in exploring the questions via research. Gay protesters did arrive at APA meetings to be heard - I think your rather "colorful" description of the events is a bit off, to put it politely.

To answer the question, yes I believe sex education should be taught to some degree, in age-appropriate ways, from elementary school through high school. Yes, I believe that this should include age-appropriate information about gays and lesbians.

And purely my opinion:
I am horrified by the level of vitriol in your posts. I respect your right to your beliefs, I truly do. I strongly disagree with you, but it's no one's job to tell you what to believe. The thing is, I (unfortunately, IMO) know a few people who feel homosexuality is a sin - but they seem to have no problem keeping their beliefs to themselves or expressing their beliefs respectfully. They do not seem to feel the need to rant and rave in the way your posts do. I really am appalled.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 10-30-2009 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: clarify wording

Old 10-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well the topic at hand was tolerance and the viedo which was included made no mention of sex or anything like that. So if you were to teach her that what is in the video is wrong it would mean you are teaching her to hate.

kind of hard to teach her to hate something that while both of her older sisters are bisexual.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then I take it you would not mind having the bible being taught in school either to all children. after all children should be able to understand both sides of the equation.
The Bible isn't based on science. There's no "balance" in teaching the Bible in a public school setting.

I'm in favor of religious studies classes as an elective, but not as a required subject.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM

75 posts, read 125,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Timing is everything!

Eggs are people, yet no one is advancing the idea of teaching them sexuality.

This kind of thing probably happens to all sexually abused children.
Eggs are eggs. If you're talking about humans exclusively, then eggs are not humans, as they can not live on their own and have only 23 of 46 chromosomes. To say that they are even half a person would be a gross overstatement. They are non-living, and thus not people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies