Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ive been in the workforce for 6 years out of college and its done nothing but strengthen my outright hatred of capitalism. I guess you can go multiple ways there.
I can understand how one can feel that way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
28 and I lean towards slightly modified Marxist communism.
How long before slightly modified Marxism becomes the whole thing? I think someone has misled you back there in college. I doubt you can have such a thing but maybe I am wrong.

I say this because the Soviet Union got as far as the part of Marxism that I just can't accept and stayed there for 70 years when people were led to believe that the government would wither and die once people had accepted Marxism. While I was in college, back in 1952, I made a heckling speech about communism thinking I would be heckled out of the room. I got clear through my communist pitch and not one question was asked so I had to try to convince all those 19 year olds that the system wouldn't work. It was hard but once I got them to understand what the Dictatorship of the Proletariat really was they began to see the light. That is just modified Marxism that they try to get people to believe will wither and die once the people learn to live with communism.

I would like to ask you how you manage to keep communism without an all powerful government to make people go along with the old from each according to his abilities to each according to his need. After a while those who work hard and earn more realize that they are being "had" and start backing off. The Soviets took all farm products for the government to sell in the cities at low prices and it didn't take the peasant farmers long to see what was being done to them. I wonder if it would happen as soon here as it did there.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Political view: anti-stupid

I have read many of your "old" posts and never saw so much anti-stupid in them although I always wonder what not agreeing with you brings to other posters.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
I am not American so US political definitions do not apply to me however:

Political stance: I don't believe in political ideology as it impeads critical thinking. I'm loosely a green, but don't support the green party (UK- but others around the world are much the same) for being anti science, wooly mindedly idealistic and ignoring overpopulation.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Late 20's.

Out of my know-it-all stage, was super liberal with some libertarian views. I have hung out with Conservatives after demonizing them all of my life and come to understand their views. They aren't evil.

I only hate the histrionic ones on either side.

I'm still pretty liberal, but I'm sure if I were living in an actual communist country I'd be singing the tunes of freedom a lot more than I have in the past. If that makes any sense.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Are you an old conservative or a young conservative?
Are you an old liberal or a young liberal?

Is anyone willing to share their age and their political leanings?

You can be vague and say you're in your 40s or your age falls within the number 40 and 55.
As late 60's "hippies" living on the beach in La Jolla, CA, my wife and I voted for McGovern! LOL Then, in 1972 we bought our first home, about 5 miles inland. Real responsibilities (home ownership) made conservatives of us. Our friends from the beach thought we had "gone off the "deep end" and joined the "establishment". I was about 30 years old then.

I have been a conservative ever since, realizing that a lot of our friends really didn't have any ambition to work and improve their lives. They thought "more things should be free" (French for, someone else should pay for it).

We worked hard. As a result, we were doing well. Many of our friends continued to live on the beach, not doing much of anything with their lives. However, I should point out that Ocean Pacific (OP) was begun by people that some of our friends knew at the time, as well as Gordon Surf Boards (a lot of my friends knew Gordon, who had a surf shop in "PB" — Pacific Beach). Now, everyone is familiar with the clothing line, "OP", and Gordon Surf Boards became well known as well.

Taylor Guitars, also started by former "hippie", Bob Taylor, of Lemon Grove, CA. if I remember correctly.

I think when people have to work hard for what they have, they tend to be conservative.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Hang on to these sentences and remember them.

I can almost promise that in 30 years, it'll embarrass you...
Not necessarily! I am more liberal now than when I was 19. If I could have voted for president in 1968, the year I was 19, I probably would have voted for Nixon. The first president I did vote for was McGovern in 1972. I have voted either for the Democrat or a 3rd party candidate ever since (for pres). I live in a state that has non-partisan municipal elections, and I have voted for a few Repubs for state wide offices.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Political view: Left libertarian

Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think that liberals are bascailly people that feel unsecure for some reason really. Otherwise why would they want to change anything. I would give alot for the world to be like when I was younger in the 60's. People ahve bascailly gotten more and more self center and poersnally greedy. It goes from wall street to entitlement street;all greed in wanting somethig for nothing.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not necessarily! I am more liberal now than when I was 19. If I could have voted for president in 1968, the year I was 19, I probably would have voted for Nixon. The first president I did vote for was McGovern in 1972. I have voted either for the Democrat or a 3rd party candidate ever since (for pres). I live in a state that has non-partisan municipal elections, and I have voted for a few Repubs for state wide offices.
Normally people do become more conservative as they get older and anyone who voted for McGovern was the height of a liberal. It sounds like you have been pretty liberal all your life...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies