Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is what I am talking about. If your parents can instill some pride in you, other parents can do the same also. Where is the programs on that in schools? The programs to wait? All they do is teach the biology of it and pass out condoms.

All I know is society is getting dumbed down on sex and it is proven with all the pregnant teens. If our society in the past could teach kids to wait and most did, they can do it again.
It had nothing to do with 'pride'. It had to do with responsibility to myself and my family. My parents told me I could have as much sex as I want, but I had to be smart about it. My parents also taught me about biology and how sex worked at a VERY young age. I had my first period when I was 11, and that's when I got my first VERY frank sex talk from both of my parents. I was able to ask as many questions as I wanted and they explained everything in detail.

Sex Ed in school was a joke because of the education I received from my parents, but I knew that the vast majority of my classmates never experienced that. At least they got that much. It's ridiculous that parents think of sex as taboo and are afraid to talk openly about it with their children.

I actually had a girl try to explain to me that the only way to get pregnant is to swallow semen. She never swallowed, so she could never get pregnant. This was a 16 year old girl. I also had two other girls tell me that 'god' puts a seed in your belly, and would NEVER let you get pregnant if you weren't ready. Parents need to man up and quit being so embarrassed about sex.

And kids in yesteryears didn't wait... I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, please) that the teen birth rate was actually HIGHER 50+ years ago. My grandmother was pregnant at 15.. she was sent away for 9 months to 'boarding school' by force. Nobody in the family talked about it, which is how it happened back then. There was just as much teen pregnancy if not more, it was just taboo and hidden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My grandmother was pregnant at 15.. she was sent away for 9 months to 'boarding school' by force. Nobody in the family talked about it, which is how it happened back then.
Yes, and it certainly does seem that young girls these days do not go off to live with an aunt in a distant city for eight or nine months nearly so often as they used to. Perhaps it has something to do with the breakdown of the family...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You have a highly romanticized, Norman Rockwell-like image of our society in the past. Sex is not something just recently discovered. The prudish taboos of generations gone by did nothing, and in an age when birth control was simply not available, a horrible price was paid by many among the young people of those days.
They are paying a horrible price now. It's called AIDS and all the other sexually transmitted diseases.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,108 times
[quote=Yeledaf;11585180]Choose one yourself. Knock yourself out.

Have another drink Yeledaf. The world is watching you and knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies