Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 PM

277 posts, read 368,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? Wow. If anything, it's sort of the opposite. Gay-identified neighborhoods are actually becoming less gay with each year that passes.
Truly. Oh well. The gay pioneers will have to look for the next ghetto to turn into the next fab and trendy 'hood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Really? Wow. If anything, it's sort of the opposite. Gay-identified neighborhoods are actually becoming less gay with each year that passes.
I know and that was exactly my point. Please read the whole post, which is making the point that those things that aren't specifically marked as gay-themed are actually straight-themed. I am criticizing the very same heteronormativity that you are. I thought you knew that about me by now, in spite of my recent ignorance about Kalamazoo and employment law, an ignorance I apologize for. I was criticizing, gently, I hoped, other straight people for having that attitude, thus the quotation marks.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
That's true. Remember Jerry Springer show and earn your beads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Exactly; they have Mardi Gras with the beads, baring of boobs and boobs dropping their shorts, you also have just married straights flaunting it with signs on their vehicle and tin or aluminum cans hanging from the back and honking their horns. That is a sort of parade.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 PM

What do you mean by that?

Quote:

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 PM

I would want tons of gays moving into my neighborhood...guaranteed to make the property values go up! :P

Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 PM

That is true. Refurbished houses, and beautiful lawns. Can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I would want tons of gays moving into my neighborhood...guaranteed to make the property values go up! :P

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What do you mean by that?
Maybe he means the corporate chains moving in like Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles, pushing out all the cute mom and pop gay establishments.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Oh please. The gays are being hired at the big franchises too. They add their own gay little touch to everything that they manage and supervise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Maybe he means the corporate chains moving in like Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles, pushing out all the cute mom and pop gay establishments.

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I know and that was exactly my point. Please read the whole post, which is making the point that those things that aren't specifically marked as gay-themed are actually straight-themed. I am criticizing the very same heteronormativity that you are. I thought you knew that about me by now, in spite of my recent ignorance about Kalamazoo and employment law, an ignorance I apologize for. I was criticizing, gently, I hoped, other straight people for having that attitude, thus the quotation marks.
I thought that maybe you were being sarcastic, but I didn't fully get it. Sorry.

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
As a straight white girl, even I can see that what this type of thinking reveals is that those things that specifically aren't gay bars, gay clubs, and et cetera are actually straight-themed bars, clubs, restaurants, comedy shows, camaraderie, and that there are somewhat constant complaints that "gay people" are taking over "our" neighborhoods.

No one has ever asked me why I was straight, and no one has ever commented on my straight lifestyle. Let me describe my straight lifestyle to you: I have a job that I love and so does he, and my partner and I occasionally squabble over stupid stuff like who gets the groceries more or who cooks more. There are logistics to be worked out, problems to be solved. My Chinese-American boyfriend sometimes ******* because he tends to take out the trash, but then he also compliments me on my artistic sense that has beautified our home. He says he could never have arranged things so comfortably or placed our accessories so pleasingly.

In spite of our squabbles, when we have the most fun we are like children together, lightly making fun of each other and playing. But when serious stuff happens, we listen, are supportive, and give advice. Both of us have seen the other's best angels and worst demons, and have concluded that we love each other both because and despite of them. We give each other pleasure when we focus on the miracle of enjoyment we take in simply experiencing each other's skin. I would imagine that all of this would be true of a gay couple as well, just as I would hope it would be true of any pair of loving human beings. There is no lifestyle here, there is rather merely love and life.
Every thing you said fits my partner and I. We are no different than our straight friends. We argue on who does the cooking, the recycling, shopping and housework. We do not go out to bars or clubs, we actually have very few gay friends. Our house is not different than our straight friends, there is no gay theme or anything that would tell wether we were gay or straight. We have a few straight friends that even after knowing us for years, do not seem to know we are gay. One couple that we have known for ten years only realized we were gay when I told them that we got married here when it was legal. The wife said that she knew all along and the husband seemed surprised. He apparently did not know. He was not upset, just surprised, it never crossed his mind that we may be a couple, even though we have been together for 30 years. I actually have a few straight male friends that I thought were gay and I was surprised that they were straight. I am a whole lot more butch than they could ever hope to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies