Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He ain't through taking your money yet. He has at least 3 more years to get all his supporters a new Chevrolet and a spare foreclosed home owned by one of his banks. He still needs to nationalize one of the oil companies for that free gas.

Watch his next campaign... he then will campaign that he still has goals to fulfill like supplying more free benefits. He will convince his supporters there is more to be taken from the wealthy.

He may even need a 3rd term.
You're a real estate agent and you'll deny that the $8000 credit to first time home buyers is helping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Get rid of NAFTA
I've seen this a few times... Ya'll realize that there are parts of NAFTA that GREATLY benefit the U.S., right?

Do you realize how over-a-barrel (pun intended) we'd be if we cancelled NAFTA and let the Canadians shop their oil exports around?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
cobine the fact that 1 in 5 noe dropout of high school then the stats of even having a skill worth hiring seems to say alot.It hard to make it in a 21st cnetury society with a early 20th centruy ability is the reality.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Does anyone realize that in Obama's budget for 2010 that he will spend more money on welfare recipients then the "entire" Iraq War cost?

To me that is just ridiculous.

To me it just proving he wants people to be weak and without. People who rely on the government like this have no choice but to get in line and follow the leader.

His agenda is playing out good for him.

He knows that if you rely on the government for everything he can control your every move. Exactly what he wants.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
You're a real estate agent and you'll deny that the $8000 credit to first time home buyers is helping?
I'd choose him/her over anyone else if I knew that. Telling it like it is and sparing me the salesman hoopla gets you the sale everytime!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Does anyone realize that in Obama's budget for 2010 that he will spend more money on welfare recipients then the "entire" Iraq War cost?

To me that is just ridiculous.
Do you realize that more people died of lyme disease in the U.S. than died in the Iraq War?

Did you know that we import more barrels of oil than there are tons of ice in the Arctic?

Did you know that the Swine Flu virus was planted by E.B. White and George Orwell ???

(Wow that's kinda cool!!! I can throw out any number of statistics or statements without EVER having to show a link, or prove it!!! FUN!!! )

Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
I really don't see anyway to prevent this unless the job market picks up tremendously with varied jobs for skilled and unskilled workers. I don't think this particuar report has anything to do with traditional families, deadbeat Dads, people on Welfare etc. First off, you can qualify for food stamps and be working but fall under the federal poverty level for your family size. Second, this report includes people that may need food stamps for 6 months or even 2 months due to being laid off from their job so I doubt that a working person that falls on hard times due to unemployment would qualify as "welfare culture" and would pass this onto their children.

I think this report is really letting people know that 50% of children and 90% of African-Americans will at one point in their lives fall under the federal poverty level and that in itself is more of a cry for alarm than how many will receive food stamps, IMHO.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Food stamps are about supporting agribusiness by providing a market for food and the fact that the program feeds childern is completely incidental. If the food was purchased with food stamps and then thrown away the program would work just as well. Most "welfare" programs work in this manner.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Stop electing democrats and stop electing republicans who think government spending is a good idea.

Start electing people who believe in real free markets and build an economy that hires lots and lots of people.

DEMAND that each person have the basic understanding that they own the responsibility for themselves. That the government is not the answer to all their woes.
Real free markets would have 80-90% of U.S. kids on food stamps while the kids of the top 10% thrive.

Thanks but no thanks.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes I speak from personal experience. I have known two women on food stamps.One had a child from a local rock band member who has sex with so many women he literally didn't recognize her a few weeks latter. The other woman decided she wanted to have a child and said "I'm going to go to the club and find the best looking man I can find and have sex with him unprotected". She ended up having two children from two different random men. Both of these women grew up in middle class homes but became very downscale after making these choices. Just goes to show that poverty is often the result of poor personal decisions, not random chance.
Okay. What does this have to do with welfare and food stamps? In your example, one woman was motivated by sex, and the other by pregnancy. You claimed that welfare provides an advantage for "bad men." Do you think rock musicians would get laid less if we do away with food stamps? I'd agree that welfare may enter a woman's mind when desiring to have a child, but that doesn't provide any advantage to "bad men." Indeed, since child support is enforceable regardless of the circumstances, not telling a partner that she might get pregnant would make the woman bad. All that's happened here is a few random guys got laid. It doesn't make them "bad," and there is no advantage given to bad men.

Women are attracted to men for many reasons, but choosing a "bad man" over a "good man" because she can fall back on food stamps is not a reason I've encountered.

Quote:
I loved back in 1994 when Newt Gingrich said that if parents can't afford children the kids should go to an orphanage instead of going on welfare. I almost cried in joy when he said that. He was my hero until recently when he supported the RINO over the true conservative in NY-23. I dont think of him the same anymore.
And you guys have the nerve to call Obama a dictator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies