U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2009, 03:38 AM
 
25,351 posts, read 37,514,449 times
Reputation: 13270

Advertisements

Many people have stood for hours in line and all they received was a person telling them they didn't have enough H1N1 shots and to come back another time.

Last week 19 people died in the US. 5 people died in a small country that fits 3 times Florida. (The Netherlands)...

Although many people don't want to jeapardize anything and are refusing the H1N1 shot, others are desperate to get it for their children.

Yesterday I saw images of Dem., one of them being Hillary Clinton who bashed Bush for not having vaccin's on time in 2004...again what a hypcrite situation now a Dem. is the president and he declared an emergency...but not enough vaccin's....

Maybe this government should stop pointing their fingers to others but point them to them self and take resposibility!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 AM
 
30 posts, read 53,703 times
Reputation: 23
.. Last week 19 people died in the US. 5 people died in a small country that fits 3 times Florida. (The Netherlands ..

If your statement is for scaring people than it is a valid one.. Otherwise it is a very poor statement.
Fl has a population of 18 milion and the Netherlands 16 milion. (16 milion 3 times as dense gives a lot of change of pasing the flu so 5 people is no a lot and a few of them were very very ill). So if this statement is for backing up your claim it is better to come up with another one.

And only 3 of the 5 were confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,632,414 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonte View Post
.. Last week 19 people died in the US. 5 people died in a small country that fits 3 times Florida. (The Netherlands ..

If your statement is for scaring people than it is a valid one.. Otherwise it is a very poor statement.
Fl has a population of 18 milion and the Netherlands 16 milion. (16 milion 3 times as dense gives a lot of change of pasing the flu so 5 people is no a lot and a few of them were very very ill). So if this statement is for backing up your claim it is better to come up with another one.

And only 3 of the 5 were confirmed.
Your response doesnt answer the OP question. The OP asked why no one is screaming now vs when Bush was president, he didnt ask anything about The Netherlands..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 AM
 
19,183 posts, read 27,751,244 times
Reputation: 4000
Such complaints as were raised in 2004 were over the fact that despite having been warned in 2001 of increasing vulnerabilities in the supply chain for seasonal flu vaccine, the Bush administration had done nothing to create backups or alternatives in the event of a glitch occurring. In 2004, a major UK supplier had to trash an entire run of vaccine because it had become contaminated by bacteria. A significant shortfall in vaccine supplies resulted because no plan to deal with such an eventuality had been put in place. Given the many other examples of lack of proper planning within the Bush administration, it was inevitable that they would come under some criticism for this example as well. That situation was of course materially different from this one. No one knew beforehand that H1N1 would by its nature take a few weeks longer to culture than the average flu virus does...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,632,414 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Such complaints as were raised in 2004 were over the fact that despite having been warned in 2001 of increasing vulnerabilities in the supply chain for seasonal flu vaccine, the Bush administration had done nothing to create backups or alternatives in the event of a glitch occurring. In 2004, a major UK supplier had to trash an entire run of vaccine because it had become contaminated by bacteria. A significant shortfall in vaccine supplies resulted because no plan to deal with such an eventuality had been put in place. Given the many other examples of lack of proper planning within the Bush administration, it was inevitable that they would come under some criticism for this example as well. That situation was of course materially different from this one. No one knew beforehand that H1N1 would by its nature take a few weeks longer to culture than the average flu virus does...
So your telling me that people complained about Bush not planning while excusing Obama for not planning? How does this answer the op other than just another partisan spin excuse for failure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
Reputation: 38690
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Such complaints as were raised in 2004 were over the fact that despite having been warned in 2001 of increasing vulnerabilities in the supply chain for seasonal flu vaccine, the Bush administration had done nothing to create backups or alternatives in the event of a glitch occurring. In 2004, a major UK supplier had to trash an entire run of vaccine because it had become contaminated by bacteria. A significant shortfall in vaccine supplies resulted because no plan to deal with such an eventuality had been put in place. Given the many other examples of lack of proper planning within the Bush administration, it was inevitable that they would come under some criticism for this example as well. That situation was of course materially different from this one. No one knew beforehand that H1N1 would by its nature take a few weeks longer to culture than the average flu virus does...
Sorry I don't buy that, but I don't buy it is the government's fault either. I think we have to get real and stop blaming everything on someone else or the government...I am certainly not an Obama supporter as everyone knows, but I don't blame him and I don't blame Bush back in 2004.

I do think what the OP was getting at is legit. He is using a comparison.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 AM
 
30 posts, read 53,703 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your response doesnt answer the OP question. The OP asked why no one is screaming now vs when Bush was president, he didnt ask anything about The Netherlands..
That is pretty obvious... It is only a comment on a fact using for backing up the OP first post. This fact is not valid and therefore compromising his post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 AM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,155 posts, read 16,886,010 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Such complaints as were raised in 2004 were over the fact that despite having been warned in 2001 of increasing vulnerabilities in the supply chain for seasonal flu vaccine, the Bush administration had done nothing to create backups or alternatives in the event of a glitch occurring. In 2004, a major UK supplier had to trash an entire run of vaccine because it had become contaminated by bacteria. A significant shortfall in vaccine supplies resulted because no plan to deal with such an eventuality had been put in place. Given the many other examples of lack of proper planning within the Bush administration, it was inevitable that they would come under some criticism for this example as well. That situation was of course materially different from this one. No one knew beforehand that H1N1 would by its nature take a few weeks longer to culture than the average flu virus does...
Of course, that explains everything. Clearly, it was Bush's fault that in '04 an entire run of vaccine in the UK was contaminated by bacteria and had to be scrapped. It was a Bush conspiracy, don't you know?

Since you mention "lack of proper planning". Take an honest look at Obama's adminsitration for a real example of indecision and failure to plan properly for anything. Take your pick, and the lack will be glaring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,632,414 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry I don't buy that, but I don't buy it is the government's fault either. I think we have to get real and stop blaming everything on someone else or the government...I am certainly not an Obama supporter as everyone knows, but I don't blame him and I don't blame Bush back in 2004.

I do think what the OP was getting at is legit. He is using a comparison.

Nita
I think you have come to the point here.

People arent blaming Obama because its simply not his fault, just like it wasnt Bushs fault in 2004. People on the left seem to always need a villian, and when there isnt one, they lie to make up arguments and pretend there is one and then seem shocked that others just dont "see the bad guy" that they made up in their own little world. Given time, I expect someone to blame this one on Bush also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
 
25,351 posts, read 37,514,449 times
Reputation: 13270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you have come to the point here.

People arent blaming Obama because its simply not his fault, just like it wasnt Bushs fault in 2004. People on the left seem to always need a villian, and when there isnt one, they lie to make up arguments and pretend there is one and then seem shocked that others just dont "see the bad guy" that they made up in their own little world. Given time, I expect someone to blame this one on Bush also.
You nailed it...that is so far the only thing missing...blame everything on Bush.

I don't like the blaming game either...sometimes things just don't go the way as any one wants it to go. Neither Bush or Obama wanted people to die, I don't believe and Dem. or Rep. wants people to die due to the vaccin not being there...but the hypocricy to blame Bush in '04 as Hillary did and now the Dem. are in charge and nothing has been said....Hopefully it is because they realize that blaming any one is just stupid and a thing a loser would do...but we will only know when a Rep. president is in a similar spot and the De. start the blame game again or have they grown up and stop that stupid game?

Btw. We don't let our kids have the H1N1 and we won't blame any one other than our self for that...but our reason is that we got very sick over the Summer and although we weren't tested for swine flu or any other flu, we had all the symptoms of the swine flu, and all of us got the regular flu shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top