Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not exactly, things like national healthcare for one was not in the original movie for sure and I dont recall the controlling of the media either..
As helen pointed out.. you are wrong.. see her post

Also health care was not something that was a problem in the U.S then.. at least not at the levels we have today.

Something you are all forgetting.. the U.S is not the only country the V's are in And um.. there is not a problem about accessing or the need for "Universal Health Care" in other countries in the world.. THEY ALREADY HAVE IT. S
Another important fact you all seem to overlooking and completely ignoring although I've now typed it twice.. is that when talking about health care it was more in reference to the CURES that the V's had that could heal ALL HUMAN BEINGS.. as again, this show is NOT just taking place IN AMERICA They are not tackling a world problem of access.. they are giving the cures for diseases .. and they are offering it to everyone, not solving a political problem / issue per say.

And.. yes, there was a form of controlling the media LOL. aS a matter of fact i was watching a scene from the old one where one of the characters was complaining about getting the news about the V's from the same ONE individual constantly Pretty similar to how Anna, the V leader in this movie, has single out Chad, the reporter, as the ONE individual that she will only speak to and correspond with. Why? Because he did what she instructed and didn't ask any questions that painted them in a negative light. Oh.. and btw, in the original anyone saying anything negative about the V's were taken away.. that would include news reporters etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This show is sure to get Obamamaniacs panties in a twist. As an old timer, I vaguely remember this show. It was very popular when it was on, though, and now they've updated it and I think it's going to be really controversial, politically speaking.

"Imagine this. At a time of political turmoil, a charismatic, telegenic new leader arrives virtually out of nowhere. He offers a message of hope and reconciliation based on compromise and promises to marshal technology for a better future that will include universal health care. The news media swoons in admiration...The public is likewise smitten, except for a few nut cases who circulate batty rumors on the Internet about the leader's origins and intentions. The leader, undismayed, offers assurances that are soothing, if also just a tiny bit condescending: "Embracing change is never easy.""

'V' aims at Obamamania -- chicagotribune.com

Uh, except the new leader is a totalitarian lizard from space who looks just like us but wants to eat us and have the aliens take us over. But even though most are totally taken in, there is a pocket of resistance.

Conservatives and Libertarians, I think we finally got us a show.

V which stands for Visitors with air at 8PM ET, tonight (Tuesday), on ABC.
That's a silly analogy, V was made in the 1980s

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
I think the Obama analogy is on the money.....

1. Visitors come out of nowhere. Promising peace.

2. Visitors are attractive and say all the right things. They inspire with good speeches.

3. Visitors want only good things said about them in the press. Media did that for Obama and still does.

4. Freedoms are slowly being taken away by Visitors for the people's "own good".

5. Visitors promise healthcare for all.

6. Young people sign up for volunteer organizations that seem amazing like the volunteer stuff Obama is pushing now.

7. Young people mindlessly love the Visitors like they did Obama...because they seem "cool".

Instead of naming this show "V", they should have named it "O"!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
In the 1983 miniseries, which I just happened to watch last night, the aliens did provide free healthcare on their ships to those humans who had been injured in the faux scientist uprisings. So there you go--free healthcare. Of course, not unproblematically, those people ended up as food. Oops!
Wow, Free healthcare being discussed back in 1983, who would have thought.

I stand corrected..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM

The Tea Party people are th resistance.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
The Tea Party people are th resistance.
Talk about silly, all they are is lackeys of the Corporate Fascists

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Talk about silly, all they are is lackeys of the Corporate Fascists

Whatever...

What about my list of similarities...

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly -- New TV Show "V" Mocks Barack Obama, Obamania -- FOX News

Look at this!!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Whatever...

What about my list of similarities...
What about them?
They are the SAME things that were there in the 1980's version - LONGGGGGGG before Obama was President.

You can read into the show whatever you want - but the fact is those things were in the storyline decades ago.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
What about them?
They are the SAME things that were there in the 1980's version - LONGGGGGGG before Obama was President.

You can read into the show whatever you want - but the fact is those things were in the storyline decades ago.

Ken
Not really the same thing. There was no Presidential candidate back then who fit this script perfectly! Reagan didn't do any of these things. Obama is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies