Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,631 times

Advertisements

I'm a black female. I usually refer to myself as black to make a point, but why is this still important? Why do people still view race as biological and not a social construct? (which has been proven)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I really have no idea why some people find it important. It becomes more ridiculous with multiracial children. My children are not typically caucasian in appearance, but they are not typically anything, exotic if anything. People are always asking "what are they?". I know people mean no harm, but seriously if you have to ask what race a person is, chances are they are Heinz 57.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black female. I usually refer to myself as black to make a point, but why is this still important? Why do people still view race as biological and not a social construct? (which has been proven)
I have two riding buddies, one Hispanic and one black (I'm white), and the only time race is mentioned is when we poke fun at each other. We do that quite a bit - it's a biker thing.

On the other hand, I have a white friend whose nickname is "Hater." His walls are covered with Confederate flags, Nazi flags and other Aryan supremacy propaganda. So, while most of us have moved on, as long as people like "Hater" exist, race will be important.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Yeah .. The concept of race has been overblown out of proportion in our society. I can't wait for the day when we can put aside this superficial foolishness and begin to view folks in terms of their humanity. A person's race is just like a book cover, it's what's on the inside that determines whether the book is worth reading or not.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I have two riding buddies, one Hispanic and one black (I'm white), and the only time race is mentioned is when we poke fun at each other. We do that quite a bit - it's a biker thing.

On the other hand, I have a white friend whose nickname is "Hater." His walls are covered with Confederate flags, Nazi flags and other Aryan supremacy propaganda. So, while most of us have moved on, as long as people like "Hater" exist, race will be important.

And he's your friend?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:

Why do you choose to associate with friends such as "hater"? The company you keep can say a whole lot about you.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,631 times
Race does not even exist, this is what amazes me.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And he's your friend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress
Why do you choose to associate with friends such as "hater"? The company you keep can say a whole lot about you.
You'd be wise not to pass judgement based on the limited information given in an internet post. I deplore Hater's racial attitudes, but that doesn't blind me to his other qualities. And that's all it is; an attitude. He doesn't go around burning crosses or lynching blacks.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
You'd be wise not to pass judgement based on the limited information given in an internet post.
How so?

Quote:
I deplore Hater's racial attitudes, but that doesn't blind me to his other qualities. And that's all it is; an attitude. He doesn't go around burning crosses or lynching blacks.
Yeah, sounds like a great guy. I guess I should be thankful he doesn't have any bodies on him.........

Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
As long as I have been around I haven't managed to think of myself as white, but for some reason all kinds of forms I get to fill out ask what my race it along with whether I am Hispanic or not if I am white. I guess we need to get those who make out those questionnaires to stop using race as a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies