Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
MSSQL is the database backend obviously, one only need to know how to connect to the ODBC for MSSQL using .cfm, primarily using the <CFINCLUDE> tags etc. Web programmers dont need to know database programming and vice versa, one only needs to know how to connect to the data to pull out and display or update table records.

Many refer to Cold Fusion as .cfm because when someone says "Cold Fusion", a common response is, "Right, you know nuclear fusion", and yes, I've had people not know the difference.

We're talking about the LINKS from GOOGLE, and Yahoo, not alexa..
You posted ALEXA data to "prove" that site visitors to that poll came from certain websites. Your Alexa data is BS.

My company does all their sites in CF. No one I have ever come across calls it .cfm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
On my primary website which I built and sold off, I created the initial website with an access backend, then turned it over to "real" programmers who convered the code into MSSQL while I worked on meta tags, keywords, link exchanges. I can build a site for "generic" use but not a chance my programming skills would support high traffic. It would crash in a heartbeat with just the type of volume cd gets..
It sounds like you got out of the "coding" side a while ago.
Only a guess based on you knowing cold fusion, and mentioning meta tags (which aren't used for ranking in google - display only). At one point meta tags were used in rankings, but that was years ago.

And CD's forum may be customized, but I'm pretty certain its built on a standard php forum.

Assuming it pays for itself, I'd throw it on a dedicated server and not worry about the traffic levels. One of my hosts regularly puts more than 2,500 websites on a single machine.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You posted ALEXA data to "prove" that site visitors to that poll came from certain websites. Your Alexa data is BS.

My company does all their sites in CF. No one I have ever come across calls it .cfm.
I posted data from the LINK.. Do you have any other "data" to dispute it or are you just pretending that the data that Alexa gets, which comes from OTHER sources is wrong.

Good to see people still use CF, but yes, many I know that programmed in it calls it .cfm, probably because we contracted the work out it sped up the process to find qualified programmers. When I started looking for programmers I'd tell people "Cold Fusion" and the non stop response was,
"I can do it in x language". Maybe its just habbit that I now call it .cfm all the time because I used to put it in my ads to get rid of all of emails from people wanting to change the programming language..

Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Again, you cannot get link specific Alexa data. You can only get domain specific data. So the information you posted was related to npr.org, not the specific poll.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
It sounds like you got out of the "coding" side a while ago.
Only a guess based on you knowing cold fusion, and mentioning meta tags (which aren't used for ranking in google - display only). At one point meta tags were used in rankings, but that was years ago.

And CD's forum may be customized, but I'm pretty certain its built on a standard php forum.

Assuming it pays for itself, I'd throw it on a dedicated server and not worry about the traffic levels. One of my hosts regularly puts more than 2,500 websites on a single machine.
Site was sold numerous years ago and I have not followed up on the "technology". Meta tags are still included on sites because they are used for the other search engines. No one knows for sure if Google uses them or not but all is known is that they shy away from them due to the abuse that used to be done to manipulate the placing on the search engines.

The Meta tags are used though for a description displayed though, and yes, cd appears to be build on php which I know nothing about.

I still have my webservers and host several sites but they are just "hobby" sites or for the other businesses I'm involved in. The last one "internet" company took me 7 years to build and sell off and I'm in no hurry to repeat the process..

The meta tags for this page is
<metaname="keywords" content="haha,NPR,poll,backfiring, haha!!! NPR poll is backfiring!, cities,forum" />

<metaname="description" content="Originally Posted by pghquest MSSQL is the database backend obviously, one only need to know how to connect to the ODBC for MSSQL using .cfm," />

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
FOX is NOT NEWS who cares what they say

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Site was sold numerous years ago and I have not followed up on the "technology". Meta tags are still included on sites because they are used for the other search engines. No one knows for sure if Google uses them or not but all is known is that they shy away from them due to the abuse that used to be done to manipulate the placing on the search engines.

The Meta tags are used though for a description displayed though, and yes, cd appears to be build on php which I know nothing about.

I still have my webservers and host several sites but they are just "hobby" sites or for the other businesses I'm involved in. The last one "internet" company took me 7 years to build and sell off and I'm in no hurry to repeat the process..

The meta tags for this page is
<metaname="keywords" content="haha,NPR,poll,backfiring, haha!!! NPR poll is backfiring!, cities,forum" />

<metaname="description" content="Originally Posted by pghquest MSSQL is the database backend obviously, one only need to know how to connect to the ODBC for MSSQL using .cfm," />
I'm not so impressed that you know how to get to the source of the page.

Meta tags are used for display only on google.
Its been that way for years.

Google Code: Web Authoring Statistics: Metadata
Quote:
Next we have two name values: keywords, which these days is mostly useless
Quote:
The keyword meta tag is ignored by Google in all pages, whether dynamic or static - the meta description doesn't count for ranking, only for a potential snippet.
Quote:
For Google:
Meta description - can be displayed as snippet, but is not used for ranking or determining keywords.
- must be unique for each page.

For Google & Yahoo:
Meta keyword - not used.
Of course, they could go back to using it.
But the keyword meta tag is legacy and only there to make website owners feel warm and fuzzy because they latched onto a computing term people repeated for years, "meta tags".

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not so impressed that you know how to get to the source of the page.

Meta tags are used for display only on google.
Its been that way for years.

Google Code: Web Authoring Statistics: Metadata

Of course, they could go back to using it.
But the keyword meta tag is legacy and only there to make website owners feel warm and fuzzy because they latched onto a computing term people repeated for years, "meta tags".
I'm going to back out of this conversation at this point because we've moved so far away from the topic and it appears you are just responding for the sake of arguing, especially since we AGREE.

I said they were used for displays, and that the general consensus is that they are not used on Google. That doesnt mean there isnt thousands of other search engines that do use them and they should be ignored..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I'm going to back out of this conversation at this point because we've moved so far away from the topic and it appears you are just responding for the sake of arguing, especially since we AGREE.
1. I'll believe that when I see it (you discontinuing a losing argument)
2. We don't agree on anything - you were still using incomplete data at best to forge your argument.

Quote:
I said they were used for displays, and that the general consensus is that they are not used on Google. That doesnt mean there isnt thousands of other search engines that do use them and they should be ignored..
That is another thing that dates you ("thousands of search engines"). There aren't more than 3 search engines worth wasting time on.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
1. I'll believe that when I see it (you discontinuing a losing argument)
2. We don't agree on anything - you were still using incomplete data at best to forge your argument.

That is another thing that dates you ("thousands of search engines"). There aren't more than 3 search engines worth wasting time on.

I didnt say there was thousands "worth ones time" I said there was thousands, in fact there are tens of thousands. Are you denying this? There was ALWAYS a handful of a few search engines with the primary traffic being driven from, the names may have changed over time but the numbers havent. Used to AOL, Yahoo, msn, even dmoz, now its not..

Are you denying that google uses tags for DISPLAY only, something I SAID? Sure looks like you agreed on this fact.

Have a good evening because you are saying you dont agree, even though we both said they are for display only.. Maybe in your world thats a disagreement, that would explain so much, but in mine, that sure looks like a consensus.. Lets not even discuss the fact that my primary site was SOLD.. Why would I not be "dated"? I moved from internet to arena football, to now investments.. That doesnt mean the whole world turned upside down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies