Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
What's been done in the name of open-mindedness and "equality"!
Please don't talk about bigotry. You open yourself up to too easy a shot. As Michael Novak has so succinctly pointed out, "the only
socially-acceptable form of bigotry left in America today is the bigotry against religious people". And your posts just fit in line with that, of course.
Since the Yes on 1 campaign was funded primarily from out-of-state religious groups (who enjoy tax exempt status I might add), I have a hard time buying into the idea that any bigotry they are experiencing is really hurting them.

The fact of the matter is that religious organizations have now realized they cannot control their parishioners through fear of God/hell so now they have become a lobby organization to control people by influencing the state/federal laws.

Whenever someone comes along and calls foul on this practice, they are accused of bigotry towards religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Whenever someone comes along and calls foul on this practice, they are accused of bigotry towards religion.
And religion and the Bible have been used to argue against expanding freedoms for minorities in this country throughout history. It's even been used to argue against giving women equal rights, including the right to vote. Pretty sad.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Since the Yes on 1 campaign was funded primarily from out-of-state religious groups (who enjoy tax exempt status I might add), I have a hard time buying into the idea that any bigotry they are experiencing is really hurting them.

The fact of the matter is that religious organizations have now realized they cannot control their parishioners through fear of God/hell so now they have become a lobby organization to control people by influencing the state/federal laws.

agreed
religion is a choice.. being gay is not...
so what's really bigotry here?...
Mormons believed anyone with black skin was not as valiant in the pre-existant war in heaven..therefore giving them the curse of dark skin... absurd isn't it? that pemis of their faith is why anyone african american could not hold the highest powers in their faith... to speak out against that are you being a religious bigot?? or are their beliefs bigotted?
is speaking out against neo nazi's bigotry? they chose it just like jim and sally chose to follow the bible and all it's hog wash...
if that's what you want to believe... great... but if that belief is the foundation for imposing something as public policy by means of destroying the foundations of the constitution (equality).. people have a right to be outraged and speak out against those beliefs...
beliefs can change and are not an inherent part of your being.. you chose them.. totally different issue to someone who is a particular color or sexuality.. that can't be changed.. If you think it can.. that is an opinion not fact.. if you think otherwise take your case up with every major medical association...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Exactly. Just look at the History of Religion in Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And religion and the Bible have been used to argue against expanding freedoms for minorities in this country throughout history. It's even been used to argue against giving women equal rights, including the right to vote. Pretty sad.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:

Actually the homosexuals spent more out of state money than the anti-homosexual marriage groups...

Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see it that way. I'm not in favor of legally restricting anyone from marrying.
Does that include Brother and Sister? Father and Daughter? Human and Animal?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Does that include Brother and Sister? Father and Daughter? Human and Animal?
Obviously not. Why ask silly questions like that?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Obviously not. Why ask silly questions like that?
No, it is NOT obvious. Your statement, specifically was; I'm not in favor of legally restricting anyone from marrying.

You said ANYONE. Are not Brother / Sister etc "anyone"?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, it is NOT obvious. Your statement, specifically was; I'm not in favor of legally restricting anyone from marrying.

You said ANYONE. Are not Brother / Sister etc "anyone"?
I assumed that intelligent adults would understand that I wasn't suggesting ANYONE should be allowed to marry ANYONE ELSE, including animals. I was wrong. Forgive me. In the future, I'll have to remember that some people will make assumptions that seem ridiculous to me unless I clarify every word to the nth degree.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I assumed that intelligent adults would understand that I wasn't suggesting ANYONE could marry ANYONE ELSE. I was wrong. Forgive me.
YOU said "anyone" - words mean things. Thank you for your clarification of your position.

BTW, I do have friends who are also clients who are Father / Daughter who are a couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies