Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

Basically its the whatever turns you on society come true. If it feels right do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM

43 posts, read 50,449 times
Everytime there is a serial killer or gang shooting in California that makes it less safe in Rhode Island? Just wondering.

There are lots of reasons that we have high crime rates in some cities in America, and freedom is one of the top reasons. We give freedom to everyone and everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty... and that just so happens to be pretty good conditions for criminals to want to live. LOL, but anyway this country is far to large and diverse to really make such sweeping judgements.... I'm not sure if you are American or not, but I think you might be scary away the tourists... and I don't suggest they go to visit Compton if they plan a trip.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
It is constant. Murders, serial killers, rapes, gang rapes, tortures, and just about every other sick and sadistic thing you can think of.

I mean it is not like Canada has a higher rate of rape or a fairly large city in Australia (over a million people) has more serial killers per capita than any place on earth or any number of horrible things happening around the world.

Only America has problems.

These days. When I hear about US kids shooting up thier school, or serial killers with houses full of bodies, or people randomly killing others just for the thrill, it does not surprise me anymore. It is just normal culture in the USA.

The American murder rate is lower than it was from the early 70s to early 90s. Much lower. There was a time when huge sections of cities like New York were virtually no-mans'-land, now New York City is the safest large city in the US. Also, even America's worst cities like Compton, Newark, Camden, Detroit, Baltimore, and so on have seen worse days as well.

There are a lot of reasons why the USA is like this. One can only speculate as to the reason why American society has become so dysfunctional. But the fact is, American society on the whole is incredibly violent and twisted these days.

No, it is not a fact. It is a fact (as in that it is verifiable through statistics and not because I said so) that America has been much more violent in its recent past. In fact, it is quite possible that several periods before than (like the 1840s to the 1870s) were possibly even more violent if you were to include immigrant slums like Five Points and Little Hell in the major cities, although rural areas and non-slums almost certainly were less violent.

Of course some of you will say "Oh no it isn't" or "Every place has crimes like that". Well, America is twisted. And America is one of the most dangerous and murderous places on Earth. In spite of it's wealth.

The American people are the most violent and twisted people on earth, second only to the Brazilians, South Africans, Colombians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Sierra Leone, Rwandans, Northern Irish, Yemenis, Somalis, Afghans, Bahamians (yes, the Bahamas has a higher murder rate), Iraqis, Russians, Guatemalans, Serbs, Mexicans, Albanians, Congolese, Croats, Swazis, Liberians, Venezuelans, and about a dozen other countries.

But other than the majority of the world, America is easily the most violent.

Oh, you can also add British, Canadian, and much of mainland Europe if you include rape and non-fatal assaults as well.

Lately i've been living and traveling in lots of other countries. And the USA has some of the meanest people and most dangerous streets of all the countries i've been to. Including lots of the "third world countries". There are only a few places, some of the poorest countries on Earth, that felt more dangerous than the USA to me.

I'm willing to beat you either haven't been to those places or you stayed in the tourist areas. If you have been to Mexico, did you go to the slums of Mexico City or Juarez or to the southern border regions? Because CancĂșn and the touristy parts of Tijuana aren't that scary. Have you been to the shanty towns of any South American city? How about most of Africa?

Lately things have gotten really bad in the USA. One the news, there are constant stories of murders and rapes. People in the USA seem to have a twisted, carnal, animal urge to so sadistic things to others. Lots and lots and lots of perverts and people with sick desires.

In other words, your view is shaped entirely what you watch on TV. Murder has gone down, but coverage has gone up. Granted, in the past few years, there has been a spike in murder, but it is nothing compared to the virtual nightmare that was the late 60s to late 70s.

And when you walk the streets in the USA. It just feels wierd in most places. There is a tension in the air, lots of places are downright dangerous, and it's just not a peaceful society by any stretch.

That's odd. Because I've felt rather safe in most parts of the US. Granted, I wouldn't want to find myself in Camden or Chicago housing projects or Gary or East St. Louis virtually at anytime, but those are the minority. It is also well established that the majority of violence in the US takes place in a select few areas, namely the kind that I have just mentioned. Statistically speaking, the majority of America is as safe or safer than any Western European area.

So, what's happening? Why are Americans doing such twisted things? Why so many wierdos, psychos and sociopaths? What do you think we can do to change this?

Last year a Canadian who was born in China stabbed a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus to death. After that, he cut off the man's head and taunted his fellow passengers with it. He then spent the next few minutes hacking off pieces of the body while eating them.

Australia has no shortage of serial killers and freak murders. Plenty of real-life crime shows down under have weekly details of some scumbags who kidnap a girl, take turns raping her over and over again and then smash her head in. That is virtually every real life Aussie crime show.

Russia has had how many serial killers in the past 30 something years? Even during the Soviet years, a number serial killers flat out got away with it because the Soviet system thought of serial murderers as purely a Western (and especially American) trend.

Meh. I know it doesn't matter what I say. You're going to live in your fantasy land regardless.
My text is in bold.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,187 times
I wish that we would put more effort into identifying abnormal people/children who have no conscience, or guilt. Most people do not go around killing other people in a cold blooded fashion. I also think that it is wrong to interview these convicted freaks on TV. I have to wonder how many people admired Tim Mc Veigh, or Ted Bundy, Or Jeffrey Dahmer as they "'splained" themselves to a big haired interviewer.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
The vast majorities of countries on that list are either engaged in wars with other countries, in the midst of civil wars or teetering between rival factions. That has nothing at all to do with American serial killers, serial rapists, pedophiles or mentally ill people committing crimes. That's off topic and irrelevant to the discussion.
It is not uncommon in parts of Africa for children to be kidnapped, dismembered, and their body parts sold to witchdoctors.

Yes, some of those nations are war zones. But some are basically like living in a cross between Mad Max and Apocalypse Now.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Quote:
It is constant. Murders, serial killers, rapes, gang rapes, tortures, and just about every other sick and sadistic thing you can think of.

These days. When I hear about US kids shooting up thier school, or serial killers with houses full of bodies, or people randomly killing others just for the thrill, it does not surprise me anymore. It is just normal culture in the USA.

There are a lot of reasons why the USA is like this. One can only speculate as to the reason why American society has become so dysfunctional. But the fact is, American society on the whole is incredibly violent and twisted these days.

Of course some of you will say "Oh no it isn't" or "Every place has crimes like that". Well, America is twisted. And America is one of the most dangerous and murderous places on Earth. In spite of it's wealth.

Lately i've been living and traveling in lots of other countries. And the USA has some of the meanest people and most dangerous streets of all the countries i've been to. Including lots of the "third world countries". There are only a few places, some of the poorest countries on Earth, that felt more dangerous than the USA to me.

Lately things have gotten really bad in the USA. One the news, there are constant stories of murders and rapes. People in the USA seem to have a twisted, carnal, animal urge to so sadistic things to others. Lots and lots and lots of perverts and people with sick desires.

And when you walk the streets in the USA. It just feels wierd in most places. There is a tension in the air, lots of places are downright dangerous, and it's just not a peaceful society by any stretch.

So, what's happening? Why are Americans doing such twisted things? Why so many wierdos, psychos and sociopaths? What do you think we can do to change this?
Much of today's parenting is atrocious. That is why I think about 75% of Americans of child-bearing age should get a vasectomy or tubal ligation ASAP, they are not willing to or capable of raising children properly.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 AM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Well, there are 300 Million people in the US. There are bad apples in every barrel.

Quote:
These days. When I hear about US kids shooting up thier school, or serial killers with houses full of bodies, or people randomly killing others just for the thrill, it does not surprise me anymore.
Its not common for these things to occur at all.

Quote:
I blame parents who don't lead by example and let their kids run amok-they don't teach their kids values, ethics and accountability.

People of all political leanings are guilty of this.

Quote:
Brazil has more murders than the US. Rio de Janeiro alone had 5700 last year. That's more than America's 10 Biggest Cities combined.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Exactly. In the USA they are constantly finding houses full of bodies, and murder suicides. It's become a typical nightly news story. It's become rather normal.

But of course lots of people just act like it isn't happening. Even though it is happening for us all to see.
It's not normal to find houses full of bodies in the US and I feel safe pretty much everywhere I go, except the inner city at night.
I feel sorry for you.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,617 times
There are serial killers and other criminals of which you speak in every country. Seriously, its more a function of the numbers and living in society in general than anything else. Some people are just going to be, well, broken. As population density and poverty increases across the country and the world, you will see more and more of this type of violent crime. Its like any group of animals in a cage, increase the population in the cage, and stress levels go way up.

The USA is waayyyyy more tolerant than Asia, where you are, and thats a fact. Get to know some Koreans and Japanese. They are the epitome of racist, for the most part (cultural generalization, of course). The only real tolerant cultures are the first world western countries. And thats because they have to learn to be due to the effects of immigration on society. Most countries, with singular gene pools, tend to fight tooth and nail against foreigners. France is a good example, right now, of a western country having problems. Whereas England is much further along, out of a history of necessity. There will be groups of racists everywhere, though.

For all of America faults, it remains a very easy and progressive place to live, relative to the world. Even though its going broke. I would venture that if we didn't have such a liberal immigration policy, that it would be a much much easier place to live. Increasing the population, especially unnaturally, hurts everyone.

Social programs go a long way to alleviating crime, even though I know conservatives don't like to hear that. I'm a libertarian myself, but also a pragmatist. As population keeps increasing in the cage, it is really the only thing that will keep us from eating each other alive. The ideal solution is a lower population density, but the band-aid is social programs. Theres really no way around it. However, I'm against social programs that enable supporting children that people can't afford.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,180 times
Quote:

I think it is because of the Federal Government. Our entire society is taught by its example that it is both rational and just to treat people however we wish as long as it suits our personal interests.

We are a nation of preferential law, where people are simply subjects of special interests. We are a nation of people who use government force to punish each other arbitrarily.

Is it really a wonder that so many initiate force arbitrarily upon their neighbor when that is precisely how our government functions? It really is not a surprise to me at all. We are a nation of tyrants in both the political and social sense. No wonder we have so many megalomaniacs and psychopaths running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies