Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,313,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I remember when economic good news was job growth. Now the lib economic good news story is slower job losses
Sadly, those days (what there was left of them) evaporated back in September of last year during the financial meltdown in the waning days of "Junior's" term (what a parting gift eh?).

The good news is - they WILL return.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The dow is still worth only 9 ounces of gold.
Perhaps fortunately, neither one of these things means very much to the economy.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I remember when economic good news was job growth. Now the lib economic good news story is slower job losses
Well, you've got to start somewhere, and in comparison to the freefall that carried into the beginning of the year, the current situation is a very significant, even if still somewhat tentative, improvement.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM

9,887 posts, read 10,815,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The pace of layoffs look like they are continuing to drop - and I stand by my prediction that they will be done (and hiring returning) by the spring.

Pace of Layoffs, Planned Job Cuts Both Show Decline - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/33616813 - broken link)

Ken
Really Ken, REALLY?? I dont know what you do here in Washington, but I can tell you things are just starting to really hit the skids here. Business is virtually at a stand still and companies that normaly can weather slow times are shutting down , closing their doors and not paying their bills, it aint going to turn around by spring no how!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Really Ken, REALLY?? I dont know what you do here in Washington, but I can tell you things are just starting to really hit the skids here. Business is virtually at a stand still and companies that normaly can weather slow times are shutting down , closing their doors and not paying their bills, it aint going to turn around by spring no how!
Yup, REALLY.

http://www.columbian.com/article/20091104/BIZ01/711049964/-1/BIZ (broken link)

I for one have noticed the store parking lots filling up (even before the offcial Christmas season began) - same is true at restaurants.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,271,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Perhaps fortunately, neither one of these things means very much to the economy.
I dunno. It sure seemed to mean a lot during the 70's recession when the dow was worth 1 ounce of gold, and during the GD when it was worth 1 ounce of gold. Ignoring gold doesn't make it go away, especially when a country buys 200 tons of the stuff.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I dunno. It sure seemed to mean a lot during the 70's recession when the dow was worth 1 ounce of gold, and during the GD when it was worth 1 ounce of gold. Ignoring gold doesn't make it go away, especially when a country buys 200 tons of the stuff.
Well, yeah, gold is always up when the economy is down. The question is - what does gold do when the economy RECOVERS.

It should also be pointed out that that SAME country (India) which just bought all that gold has DOUBLED it's holdings in US Treasuries in the last year.

What does that tell you?
It tells you that (like China) they have money to invest and they are investing it in many different things. It's not called a reliance on gold, it's called diversification.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Well, yeah, gold is always up when the economy is down. The question is - what does gold do when the economy RECOVERS.

It should also be pointed out that that SAME country (India) which just bought all that gold has DOUBLED it's holdings in US Treasuries in the last year.

What does that tell you?
It tells you that (like China) they have money to invest and they are investing it in many different things. It's not called a reliance on gold, it's called diversification.

Ken
Gold buying is up huge and US treasury buying is down as a recent trend. Good times!

http://www.treas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Gold buying is up huge and US treasury buying is down as a recent trend. Good times!

http://www.treas.gov/tic/mfh.txt
What are you smoking?

Even your OWN link shows foriegn holdings of US Treasuries are UP.
Last year in August: 2688.4 billion
This year in August: 3448.8 billion

You do realize that 3.4488 trillion dollars is greater than 2.6884 trillion dollars don't you? (by a LOT I might add)
What? Are you using some new kind of Palin math?
LOL

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
What are you smoking?

Even your OWN link shows foriegn holdings of US Treasuries are UP.
Last year in August: 2688.4 billion
This year in August: 3448.8 billion

You do realize that 3.4488 trillion dollars is greater than 2.6884 trillion dollars don't you? (by a LOT I might add)
What? Are you using some new kind of Palin math?
LOL

Ken
Not looking at one year trends. Was looking at very recent trend among Chinese and Indian holdings. India is reducing treasury holding and buying up gold. Same with China. Last year was a buying bonanza for treasuries because of perceived safety. Now that inflation will be king, treasuries are the LAST place you want to go.

BTW, here's some more green shoots coming your way.

Personal bankruptcies climb 9% in October - Nov. 4, 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies