Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

Yeah. They have a much better plan.
Just say NOOOOO!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yeah. They have a much better plan.
Just say NOOOOO!!!!!
Ummm Hello they have offered a plan and they have offered amendments and ideas all have been turned down by democrats

This thread is about the healthcare bill republicans are offering or putting forward.

Do you all realize democrats appear to be hypocrites when you try and say republicans are just the party of no. While they offer bills

Just because you dont like their bill doesnt mean they arent offering them

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
The Republicans' plan. . .
  • Does NOT forbid insurance companies from refusing to cover people with pre-existing conditions.

this kills me. How do you expect insurance companies to stay in business ??? !!!

I am no fan of insurance companies, but come on. What do you want them to do? How would accepting someone with a preexisting condition make any sense? you are basically asking them to flush their money down the toilet. In reality... you are asking them to raise everyone's premiums so they can accept pre-existing conditions.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I just wish more people would eschew burgers and fries. Then we wouldn't need such a damn complicated health care plan.

I mean, now McDonald's has a third-of-a-pound Angus burger. Does anyone really pretend not to know where this madness is leading?

I don't care if you're a Dem or a Repub: if you start eating third-of-a-pound burgers, you're going to need one helluva lot of healthcare. And at least two seats on every airplane trip you take.

My solution to the problem? Make it everone's patriotic duty to get healthy and stay healthy.

I pledge allegiance to the life
That I have been given to cherish
And to the body in which it lives
One bitchin bod, under skin.
With tight buns
And clear tubes
For all

Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
this kills me. How do you expect insurance companies to stay in business ??? !!!

I am no fan of insurance companies, but come on. What do you want them to do? How would accepting someone with a preexisting condition make any sense? you are basically asking them to flush their money down the toilet. In reality... you are asking them to raise everyone's premiums so they can accept pre-existing conditions.
That is one of the main reasons that health care reform is needed! How is someone who is sick supposed to get coverage if insurance companies can deny it or raise your premiums so high you cannot afford it? That is why you need a larger pool of people that includes healthy and unhealthy people. If your pool of premium payers is just the very sick the rates will be sky high and the coverage will be nill. If you balance that out with healthy people the rates fall and more people can be covered.

Are you suggesting that sick people either need to be very wealthy or just suck it up and hopefully die quickly? I work and have done so for nearly 30 years (had first job at 12). I earn a decent living but not decent enough to pay for my full healthcare out of pocket. My meds alone are $1800/month. This keeps me healthy enough so I can continue working and not be a drain on society. What are people like me supposed to do? I luckily have healthcare insurance through my employer. I didn't while on disability before I was finally diagnosed with this illness and put on medication. My premiums at that point were almost $900/month. They would be well over 2K a month now and I guess I could choose between a home or medication but why should anyone have to make that decision? This isn't a 3rd world country yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,623 times
The Republican plan DOES offer insurance to those with pre-existing conditions, through state mandated high risk pools. Guaranteed coverage, caps on the amount that can be charged as premiums.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I just wish more people would eschew burgers and fries. Then we wouldn't need such a damn complicated health care plan.

I mean, now McDonald's has a third-of-a-pound Angus burger. Does anyone really pretend not to know where this madness is leading?

I don't care if you're a Dem or a Repub: if you start eating third-of-a-pound burgers, you're going to need one helluva lot of healthcare. And at least two seats on every airplane trip you take.

My solution to the problem? Make it everone's patriotic duty to get healthy and stay healthy.

I pledge allegiance to the life
That I have been given to cherish
And to the body in which it lives
One bitchin bod, under skin.
With tight buns
And clear tubes
For all
I agree with this concept, but would go much further than making it a patriotic duty. The solution to the Healthcare problem is to aggressively work on the prevention side. Make it ecnomically adventageous to eat properly, exercise and teach your children to do the same by example. I find it hard to believe that programs, incentives and education in this cannot be developed on a national scale. There are several pockets of individuals and groups doing just that now. Establishing a co-ordinated national effort does not seem to me, to be too hard or complicated to do. It does, however, require leadership and a willingness to deal with FOOD, INC. There would be a great deal of resistance from the large food industry, similar to what we are seeing from the health ins. companies. The reality is not that it would be nice to do, it is more that, if we want to survive as an economic power in the world, we must do.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that sick people either need to be very wealthy or just suck it up and hopefully die quickly?
No, I am suggesting that people have insurance before they get sick.

I should have clarified. I definitely do not think that ICs should be able to:
Quote:
raise your premiums so high you cannot afford it?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Republicans have a much better plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Republicans have a much better plan - Other Views - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/1314865.html - broken link)

They had 12 years in control of both houses of congress. For six of those years, they had the White House, too. In that entire time, they didn't once mention this "plan."

Now, they're on the sidelines. But they're sure whining about the other guys' plan, which is being advanced through congress w/o any Republican assistance.

They had their shot and wasted it. The clock ran out on their "plan."

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
No, I am suggesting that people have insurance before they get sick.

I should have clarified. I definitely do not think that ICs should be able to:
In a perfect world people would have insurance before getting sick. Not everyone does and not everyone can afford it right now. This is bigger than just adults not being able to pay for insurance. If your child has asthma, diabetes, or other illness they also now have a pre-existing condition that will follow them into adulthood. Once they are off the parents health insurance plan how are they to afford coverage since they have a pre-existing condition? Being in a pool with other sick people (the high risk pool the repubs are talking about) isn't going to provide much in the way of savings since everyone in the plan is sick and getting tons of coverage. You need healthy people in the plan to help pay for the very sick. Before some whine about not wanting to pay to cover the sick if you have health insurance now that is happening. The only difference is the insurance company can kick you out once you cost too much to cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies