Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,684,228 times

Advertisements

Vey late last night AUM informed me that in all of the states that allow gay marriage, it was due to judicial activism and not the will of the people via a vote. In fact, in two states, California and Maine, both liberal states, the people overturned the judges wishes and declared that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Often times, those that support gay marriage point to Canada, Belgium, Sweden, etc where gay marriage is legal. My question is; does anyone know if it was made legal in these places by the will of the people via a vote, or by judicial activism like the states here? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,539,053 times
Good question.

Actually my cousin works for the Canadian government in the actual Parliament Building in Ottawa.

I will ask her tonight and get back to you when she responds. She of all people will know.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Good question.

Actually my cousin works for the Canadian government in the actual Parliament Building in Ottawa.

I will ask her tonight and get back to you when she responds. She of all people will know.
That's cool. Thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,796,546 times
Not in the US. Not once.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,360,608 times
The answer is on the internet you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage

Quote:
Court decisions, starting in 2003, each already legalized same-sex marriage in eight out of ten provinces and one of three territories, whose residents comprised about 90% of Canada's population.
In Canada - by court decree (government).

Quote:
The marriage bill passed the House of Representatives by a majority of 109 against 33 votes. The Senate approved the bill on 19 December 2000. Only the Christian parties, which held 26 of the 75 seats at the time, voted against the bill.
In the Netherlands - by their government.

Quote:
Same-sex marriage became legal in Norway on January 1, 2009 when a gender neutral marriage bill was enacted after being passed by the Norwegian legislature in June 2008. Norway became the sixth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage.
In Norway - by their government (marriage bill)

Quote:
Same-sex marriage became legal in South Africa on 30 November 2006 when the Civil Unions Bill was enacted after having been passed by the South African Parliament earlier that month.
In South Africa - by their government

Quote:
After much debate, a law permitting same-sex marriage was passed by the Cortes Generales (Spain's bicameral parliament, composed of the Senate and the Congress of Deputies) on 30 June 2005 and published on 2 July 2005. Same-sex marriage became legal in Spain on Sunday, 3 July 2005,
In Spain - by their government

Quote:
Same-sex marriages in Sweden have been officially recognized since 1 May 2009, following the adoption of a new, gender-neutral law on marriage by the Swedish parliament on 1 April 2009,[1] making Sweden the seventh country in the world to open marriage to same sex couples nationwide.
In Sweden - by their government

So there's your answer.

NO NATION ON THE PLANET HAS EVER ALLOWED GAY MARRIAGE TO BECOME LEGAL BY A VOTE OF THE PEOPLE.

THE GOVERNMENT HAS DECIDED IN EVERY CASE TO ALLOW HOMOSEXUALS TO MARRY.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 11-04-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not in the US. Not once.
I know, that was in my op. I'm talking about in the few "progressive" countries that I cited where it is legal. Did the people actually vote on it, or was it due to judicial activism?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM

22,108 posts, read 19,321,019 times
Err Maine was passed by the state Legislator and Governor not by judges...

New Hampshire was passed by both Houses of the State Legislature and signed by the Governor.

Vermont was passed by both Houses of the State Legislature, then vetoed by the Governor and was both Houses of the State Legislature voted to override the Veto.

Equal Rights should never be put up for a vote.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,926,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Err Maine was passed by the state Legislator and Governor not by judges...

New Hampshire was passed by both Houses of the State Legislature and signed by the Governor.

Vermont was passed by both Houses of the State Legislature, then vetoed by the Governor and was both Houses of the State Legislature voted to override the Veto.

Equal Rights should never be put up for a vote.
Agreed on that!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,572,836 times
No, but do you also call it "judicial activism" when it's conservatives who win a court case? My hunch is that you don't.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,856,622 times
In the UK when civil partnerships were brought in, most people were asking why it was not called civil marriage. People refer to it as gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies