Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

I live on the civilized European continent.
Trucks and busses all have governors on them to limit driving to 8 hours without a 1-2 hour break.
There are truck stops along all highways in Europe so that truckers can be rested and safely back on the road.
People couldn't drive more than 8 hours if they tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Trucks and busses all have governors on them to limit driving to 8 hours without a 1-2 hour break.
There are truck stops along all highways in Europe so that truckers can be rested and safely back on the road.
People couldn't drive more than 8 hours if they tried.
That's what we need here, authoritarian control.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Good to know. Welcome to my iggy bin.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many Canadians and Europeans think that the United States cares what they have to say in regard to our issues.

Pay attention to your own countries, god knows you have enough problems of your own to deal with.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Are you trying to claim this whole thread is about the fact that Obama ISNT doing something?

That is a complete 180 from your other postings which claimed that Obama "settled the lawsuit", "wrote memos", and various other arguments about how OBAMA DID something, now that its proven he hasnt, your claim is that by him NOT doing something is actually doing something. Lets go with that.. Since Obama hasnt withdrawn troops from Iraq, people arent getting shot, since Obama hasnt legalized gay marriages, I guess gays will cease to exist, since Obama hasnt created jobs, I guess people dont need work.

Seriously, how far do you want to continue spinning your own thread?

I got that part.. It was a stupid "rule".. but Bushs' accomplishments isnt the topic here, Obamas are.
Oh, God. I said Emanuel, not Obama, wrote memos and all this stuff happened under the Obama Admin whereas it wouldnt have under the Bush Admin.

The law works by removing/avoiding putting into place bad laws as well as by passing good ones.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I don't care if it was the Obama administration or a lawsuit. Driving hours must be limited for the safety of all the users of the highway. .......
One needs to examine other drivers as well.
Are you getting enough sleep? Apparently a lot of people aren't, and the result is dangerous. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that approximately 100,000 police-reported crashes annually involve drowsiness and/or fatigue as a principal causal factor. Those crashes result in an estimated 1,500 fatalities and 71,000 injuries each year, and an annual monetary loss of approximately $12.5 billion.
Drivers.com: Falling asleep at the wheel

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
One needs to examine other drivers as well.
Are you getting enough sleep? Apparently a lot of people aren't, and the result is dangerous. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that approximately 100,000 police-reported crashes annually involve drowsiness and/or fatigue as a principal causal factor. Those crashes result in an estimated 1,500 fatalities and 71,000 injuries each year, and an annual monetary loss of approximately $12.5 billion.
Drivers.com: Falling asleep at the wheel
Clearly we need government controls in effect here. We need to be civilized like our European cousins.

I say that 0bama personally tackle this issue and mandate all cars have GPS tracking devices so government can monitor consecutive hours every American is behind the wheel, monitor our driving habits, and give us a warning that they will shut off our engine if we appear to be sleepy, fatigued or just driving too long. 0bama - "do it for the children".

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh, God. I said Emanuel, not Obama, wrote memos
But you also claimed that the actions taking by judges and the DOT were "Obama", now you are claiming that Emanuel, who actually does work IN the Obama administration is NOT Obama..
Quote:
all this stuff happened under the Obama Admin whereas it wouldnt have under the Bush Admin.
It DID happen under the Bush admin.. TWICE..
Quote:
The law works by removing/avoiding putting into place bad laws as well as by passing good ones.
And OBAMA did not remove a bad law, or pass a good one (pertaining to the topic). The DOT did due to a lawsuit in COURT.
Quote:
And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic!
Which obviously involves Obama non accomplishment accomplishments!!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
But you also claimed that the actions taking by judges and the DOT were "Obama", now you are claiming that Emanuel, who actually does work IN the Obama administration is NOT Obama..
No, see my posts at page 1.

Quote:
It DID happen under the Bush admin.. TWICE..
It was vacated - TWICE- under the BA, and the BA kept the rule in place. I think I posted this TWICE actually.

Quote:
And OBAMA did not remove a bad law, or pass a good one (pertaining to the topic). The DOT did due to a lawsuit in COURT.
"The Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) have agreed to abandon their defense". The lawsuit was brought during the OA.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I don't care if it was the Obama administration or a lawsuit. Driving hours must be limited for the safety of all the users of the highway. Private trucking concerns would have the drivers operating 24 hours per day if it increased profits.
Your interest in safety is noted, but most people forget that truckers are limited to 10 hours per day while airline pilots are limited to 16 hour days. Yep, I said 16 hours. This, of course, does not mean that airline crew rest requrements are necessarily unsafe; just pointing out the difference. Personally, i'd rather meet a truck on the road on his 10th hour of driving then I would be a passenger in an airliner making an instrument approach in snowy conditions on his 15th hour. (I'm a pilot myself and I have no reservations about saying that at all).

Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Clearly we need government controls in effect here. We need to be civilized like our European cousins.

I say that 0bama personally tackle this issue and mandate all cars have GPS tracking devices so government can monitor consecutive hours every American is behind the wheel, monitor our driving habits, and give us a warning that they will shut off our engine if we appear to be sleepy, fatigued or just driving too long. 0bama - "do it for the children".
I hear you.

Big rig drivers apparently are no different than private passenger driven vehicles where fatigue is concerned. Should not both be regulated,...following the topic to its logical conclusion. The stupid GPS idea has been floated already to tax one's use of the highway system/gas taxes since there is less fuel sold and less taxes collected.

The government is not the "all-knowing" entity that some think. Yep,..what we need is MORE regulations......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies