Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes the shooter is alive.

That was revealed in the press conference minutes ago.

Officials: Fort Hood shootings suspect alive; 12 dead - CNN.com
Thanks for the link..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,124 times
I just read about this. I have a cousin at Fort Hood, thank God he is OK.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Here you have it:

"Hasan ...had suffered harassment from fellow soldiers who questioned his loyalty to the US and commented on his Middle East ethnicity"

Source: Major Nidal Malik Hasan: Soldiers' psychiatrist who listened to stories from front line | World news | The Guardian
Hmmm as a vet I feel qualified to give a rebuttal to this.
A Major in the US Army. No enlisted will not harrass him because that means disiplinary action. You see in the military that won't fly.
Ok fellow officers harrassed him? Hmmm possible but very doutful. Shun him I can believe.
His loyalty was called into question? Geee I wonder if they had a reason?
Suicide bombers are like a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers? Lets see these heroic suicide bombers are killing our troops. I don't think glorifying them will produce a positive attitude from your peers.
Sounds like maybe just maybe he was creating a hostile enviroment for himself.
No sir. He does not get a free pass for his actions. He was not a 12 yearold nerd being picked on by the jocks. He was a Major in the US Army. In other words he had power to stop. or correct any harrassment.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I just read about this. I have a cousin at Fort Hood, thank God he is OK.
I know. A couple of boys I used to babysit for (they're obviously grown up now) are stationed there awaiting redeployment--for awhile I was worried about. The chances are slim that on a base that big that you would know one of the victims, yet there are twelve families and countless friends who are reeling with grief right now. I'm happy to hear your cousin is safe and sound.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Reading the thread from beginning to end is saddening; people guaranteed it was a terrorist attack, and the thread became open season on Muslims and gays. Is there no shame? The voices of reason were attacked...mob action via text. It seems that the shooter broke under stress, and clearly had access to a semi-automatic weapon. This is a time for grieving, not engaging in wild speculation. As one poster noted, there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world; if they all wanted to end Western civilization, they'd have done it by now. Rather than focusing on repeated deployment and expressing both concern and caring, too many chose this time of horror to attack everyone but abortion providers, and that may show up yet. Tonight there are families dealing with sudden and unexpected loss, or pacing and drinking bad hospital coffee as they wait for news of their injured loved ones. Those facts have been ignored except by a brave few; LML and diva360 have been eloquent, as always, in trying to remind posters that when they say "31 injured," there are many more who hold them dear and are praying for their recovery. And for the 12 dead, there are many who will never be able to touch or talk to their loved ones again. There are no do-overs with death. Our posters from other parts of the world are shocked by our lack of civility, and with good cause. Some of the sentiments expressed...guaranteed to be true...have shown only a willingness to indulge personal hatreds to a shameful degree. That is part of what makes others hate Americans, not our freedoms and wealth. I think of the words of Theoden in LOTR: "What can men do against such unreasoning hatred?" It applies to Muslim and Christian alike. Maybe there are answers to be found in thoughtful discussion instead of spontaneous (and erroneous) attacks. Have mercy on the soldiers, the families, the friends; it's a time for sober thought. No matter who we worship (or don't), the energy of our thoughts can help the victims.

Oh how I wish they would let me rep you but they won't. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not just for your kind words about me but for your reasoned, sane, compassionate words about this horror and those who are living through it. I don't know why it is so hard for people to understand that there are hundreds of posts on this forum where they can complain about the president, the democrats, the republicans, gays, muslim, immigrants, etc. etc. Is it too much to ask that this one thread be used for expressing concern and compassion for the fallen and their families? Why must the poison of hate toward things not even involved in this tragedy overshadow the terrible, terrible loss so many have suffered today? Thank you for understanding that.

I've just received word that a young 19 year old girl from this area was shot in the stomach during this massacre. She is in the National Guard and was awaiting deployment to Iraq. We don't know her condition beyond this. Please say a prayer for her.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh how I wish they would let me rep you but they won't. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not just for your kind words about me but for your reasoned, sane, compassionate words about this horror and those who are living through it. I don't know why it is so hard for people to understand that there are hundreds of posts on this forum where they can complain about the president, the democrats, the republicans, gays, muslim, immigrants, etc. etc. Is it too much to ask that this one thread be used for expressing concern and compassion for the fallen and their families? Why must the poison of hate toward things not even involved in this tragedy overshadow the terrible, terrible loss so many have suffered today? Thank you for understanding that.

I've just received word that a young 19 year old girl from this area was shot in the stomach during this massacre. She is in the National Guard and was awaiting deployment to Iraq. We don't know her condition beyond this. Please say a prayer for her.
I'll do it for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:34 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
And here come the apologists!!!! Didn't have to wait long now did we??? AAHHHAAAA!!!!
"It seems that the shooter broke under stress" The fing Muslim psychiatrist broke under stress!!!
Love the The Bored of The Rings quote. How bout this one, "It's a big wide world Charlie Brown"...Comes to mind
Did you read the OP, or listen to any coverage? I make no apologies for an act that heinous; many of our servicemen and women are highly stressed due to redeployments. I believe it's been discussed on the forum. There is no room for snide remarks...people are dead. They were our children, spouses, nieces and nephews, friends and co-workers. They were cherished, and tonight the heart of Texas is hurting. I'm sorry that you're unable to grasp the tragedy of it.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm as a vet I feel qualified to give a rebuttal to this.
A Major in the US Army. No enlisted will not harrass him because that means disiplinary action. You see in the military that won't fly.
Ok fellow officers harrassed him? Hmmm possible but very doutful. Shun him I can believe.
His loyalty was called into question? Geee I wonder if they had a reason?
Suicide bombers are like a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers? Lets see these heroic suicide bombers are killing our troops. I don't think glorifying them will produce a positive attitude from your peers.
Sounds like maybe just maybe he was creating a hostile enviroment for himself.
No sir. He does not get a free pass for his actions. He was not a 12 yearold nerd being picked on by the jocks. He was a Major in the US Army. In other words he had power to stop. or correct any harrassment.
One of the most sensible posts yet about Major Hasan. Rep +1.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Houston, I really don't know anything about military law. Do you think there will be a swift trial as compared to if this was a mass shooting in a mall or whatever that would go to civvie court?
I don't know how swift it will be, they are not held to the civil laws as we are.....I just know you have Officers judging you and not a jury of your twelve peers..

When I was in the Army, we were to afraid to be bad...LOL

The military does have the death sentence...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
And here come the apologists!!!! Didn't have to wait long now did we??? AAHHHAAAA!!!!
"It seems that the shooter broke under stress" The fing Muslim psychiatrist broke under stress!!!
Love the The Bored of The Rings quote. How bout this one, "It's a big wide world Charlie Brown"...Comes to mind

Yep there we go. I leave for a short time and we have the apologists and the lecturers wagging their finger at how people should react and those that express anger are accused of not caring about the dead or the families. Please! There is anger because people are thinking about the dead and the families or will our emotions be controlled too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies