Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,919 times

Advertisements

He is not a disappointment..he is a dangerous radical. The pied piper from hell... 3 more years and then ...he's out of here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Unemployment is now expected to rise to 10.2% for last month. Obama is not only extending the economic misery for us but is trying now to pile it on the backs of our grandchildren, who by the way, could have been conceived and born during the time Obama has continued to pass the buck.

.................................................. .................................................

High Plains,

I'll do my best to not seem insulting, but your post portrays alot of irrational thinking. Let me explain:

1. Obama inherited an economy that was literally off the rails when he took office. It was George W. Bush, not Obama, that began this whole series of bailouts of both the financial services sector and the auto industry. Mind you, I'm not saying GWB was wrong. I'm saying that is where the policies all originated. In fact, what few conservatives seem to understand is that Bush's actions are proof that both parties now recognize the absolute need at times for government intervention in the economy.

2. You blame Obama for "piling debt on the backs of our grandchildren". I have to read alot into what you say. You are entitled to correct me if you choose. What I'm hearing is that you think the economy would be better and we wouldn't have "10.2 percent unemployment" if we hadn't piled all this debt onto our grandchildren. Maybe you believe that if the federal budget was balanced that somehow our economy would magically get better? If you do, this is a most ignorant and unsupportable notion. When individual and corporate spending grind to a halt (as they almost had at the height of this panic in late 2008) there is no money in the economy to keep people employed. The only way to avoid a complete financial catastrophe is for the government to spend money in the short term to make up the difference. In effect, the bailouts and Obama's Fiscal Stimulus Package were the spending that made up this difference. Without this spending, unemployment would be much higher. As a benchmark, realize that at the height of the Great Depression in 1933, unemployment reached a level of almost 25%. That's what our policies today prevented and only deficit spending by the government averted this kind of cataclysm.

3. Blaming Obama for what has happened is silly. He is just one character in an entire drama. Yes, he currently is the President. Where were you when this country spent $1 trillion fighting that unnecessary war in Iraq? Did you vote for GWB in both 2000 and 2004? Answer me honestly, did you ever worry about your grandchildren having to repay that money? Obama has been in office a little over nine months. That war has gone on over five years.

4. The economy is turning around and I'm not making that up. GNP was up last quarter for the first time in a year. Its now rising at an annual rate of 3.5%. The stock market ( a barometer of investment) is recovering too and is routinely ending the day at over 10,000. Factory orders are up. Our nation's exports are up. Worker productivity is hitting a record level. Now, it is true that unemployment will probably rise a bit before trending downwards. Unemployment is a "lagging indicator" in the economy. When a recession ends, its usually the last thing to improve. All this is just 9.5 months of a presidency. Doesn't sound like Obama is doing too badly to me. What exactly did you expect?

What I really think is that you'd be opposed to Obama no matter what he did while he was in office. Therefore, my explanation is unlikely to change your mind. What would be nice though is if at least you had some self respect and could show some integrity and honesty in your posts.

Last edited by markg91359; 11-06-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
He let me and my parter down, we put him in office, he has dissed us and reminds of a taller Don Knotts, the change we need is not Obama but someone with some guts!
You didn't really believe in the "change" talk did you? That's like watching a television commercial for recruiting in the Army and then joining the army... you are bound for a LOT of disappointment... vote on who the person is and what their RECORD is... the most important thing is THEIR HISTORY... what they have done and what they have failed to do... believing in "rhetoric" talk like "Yes we can" and "Change" is really not something I buy into (but millions of Americans did... suckers!)... What would of really made the whole thing really funny was if Obama said during his acceptance speech... "To all those who listened and helped to change this country by electing me... SUCKERS!!"... that would of been priceless... but like other posters said... There was McCain and Obama.. both HORRIBLE candidates, its not like you could of made a "better" decision anyhow...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
What we need in the U.S. is an attitude change.
Our leader does not seem to be inspiring this attitude change
We don't seem to be willing to work together towards a collective attitude change on our own.
The change we are currently receiving is not what we necessarily need.
And I think that if the country's attitude pretty much stays the same way in 2012, many of us won't vote for him a second time.

BTW, I work in the financial profession, and he hasn't done Jack Squat about reining in the corruption - on the contrary, he's allowed his cronies to make millions off of this most recent stock bubble with all of the inside information they have.

Case in point ... many DC insiders bought AIG stock after the reverse stock split June 30th... the price dropped to 10, everybody got the green light to go in, and it quadrupled it's price in a month...

So, the taxpayers that supported the AIG bailout didn't gain anything, but Goldman Sachs got to survive in much better shape, his DC buddies made millions on "safe speculation", and the AIG directors will receive bonuses for having improved the stock performance, thanks to taxpayer money...

Yes, Obama has been doing a wonderful job changing Wall Street culture. He is not stupid, not only does he not bite the hand that feeds him, but he needs to give them a little more so that they can pay him back through political fundraising.

And yes, I voted for him...

Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Unemployment is now expected to rise to 10.2% for last month. Obama is not only extending the economic misery for us but is trying now to pile it on the backs of our grandchildren, who by the way, could have been conceived and born during the time Obama has continued to pass the buck.

.................................................. .................................................

High Plains,

I'll do my best to not seem insulting, but your post portrays alot of irrational thinking. Let me explain:

1. Obama inherited an economy that was literally off the rails when he took office. It was George W. Bush, not Obama, that began this whole series of bailouts of both the financial services sector and the auto industry. Mind you, I'm not saying GWB was wrong. I'm saying that is where the policies all originated. In fact, what few conservatives seem to understand is that Bush's actions are proof that both parties now recognize the absolute need at times for government intervention in the economy.

2. You blame Obama for "piling debt on the backs of our grandchildren". I have to read alot into what you say. You are entitled to correct me if you choose. What I'm hearing is that you think the economy would be better and we wouldn't have "10.2 percent unemployment" if we hadn't piled all this debt onto our grandchildren. Maybe you believe that if the federal budget was balanced that somehow our economy would magically get better? If you do, this is a most ignorant and unsupportable notion. When individual and corporate spending grind to a halt (as they almost had at the height of this panic in late 2008) there is no money in the economy to keep people employed. The only way to avoid a complete financial catastrophe is for the government to spend money in the short term to make up the difference. In effect, the bailouts and Obama's Fiscal Stimulus Package were the spending that made up this difference. Without this spending, unemployment would be much higher. As a benchmark, realize that at the height of the Great Depression in 1933, unemployment reached a level of almost 25%. That's what our policies today prevented and only deficit spending by the government averted this kind of cataclysm.

3. Blaming Obama for what has happened is silly. He is just one character in an entire drama. Yes, he currently is the President. Where were you when this country spent $1 trillion fighting that unnecessary war in Iraq? Did you vote for GWB in both 2000 and 2004? Answer me honestly, did you ever worry about your grandchildren having to repay that money? Obama has been in office a little over nine months. That war has gone on over five years.

4. The economy is turning around and I'm not making that up. GNP was up last quarter for the first time in a year. Its now rising at an annual rate of 3.5%. The stock market ( a barometer of investment) is recovering too and is routinely ending the day at over 10,000. Factory orders are up. Our nation's exports are up. Worker productivity is hitting a record level. Now, it is true that unemployment will probably rise a bit before trending downwards. Unemployment is a "lagging indicator" in the economy. When a recession ends, its usually the last thing to improve. All this is just 9.5 months of a presidency. Doesn't sound like Obama is doing too badly to me. What exactly did you expect?

What I really think is that you'd be opposed to Obama no matter what he did while he was in office. Therefore, my explanation is unlikely to change your mind. What would be nice though is if at least you had some self respect and could show some integrity and honesty in your posts.

The Obama Haters wouldn't embrace the truth about Obama's accomplishments even if they were smacked in their little heads with it.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:00 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Expectation always leads to disappointment. Believing ANY politician and their promises is just plain turning over your lifes decisions to unknown, unproven forces who will NEVER have the public good in mind.

Obama isn't the first to promise that he would onld do this or that. Every Political does and Americans just keep on swallowing it hook line and sinker. Then wonder why everyone is choking to death.
Not quite. A true expectation, that can be met, is usually not met with disappointment.

Obama OVER PROMISED....he did it to himself....he set himself up to make people think he would be the best thing ever.

He should have under promised and over delivered, instead, he over promised and is under delivering.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did 0bama pull the troops out of Iraq? - No
Did 0bama ban all earmarks? - No
Did 0bama put every pork barrel project online? - No
Did 0bama close GITMO? - No
Did 0bama hold healthcare discussions on C-SPAN? - No
Did 0bama end the status quo of partisanship, bickering and divisiveness? - No
Did 0bama close the revolving door for lobbyists? - No
Did 0bama ban lobbyists from being a part of his administration? - No
Did 0bama ban lobbyists from working on regulations or contracts directly? - No
Did 0bama allow all bills to be viewed on-line five days before signing them? - No
Did 0bama eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses? - No
Did 0bama tax the windfall profits tax of oil companies? - No
Did 0bama repeal the Clinton-era Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell (DADT) policy? - No

0bama, the president of NO
And how is that "transparency" working out for people?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

High Plains,

Well said. I also think there are many that fear that Obama WILL be successful in dealing with the massive issues we are facing. That idea scares them for some reason.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
What we need in the U.S. is an attitude change.
Our leader does not seem to be inspiring this attitude change
We don't seem to be willing to work together towards a collective attitude change on our own.
The change we are currently receiving is not what we necessarily need.
And I think that if the country's attitude pretty much stays the same way in 2012, many of us won't vote for him a second time.

BTW, I work in the financial profession, and he hasn't done Jack Squat about reining in the corruption - on the contrary, he's allowed his cronies to make millions off of this most recent stock bubble with all of the inside information they have.

Case in point ... many DC insiders bought AIG stock after the reverse stock split June 30th... the price dropped to 10, everybody got the green light to go in, and it quadrupled it's price in a month...

So, the taxpayers that supported the AIG bailout didn't gain anything, but Goldman Sachs got to survive in much better shape, his DC buddies made millions on "safe speculation", and the AIG directors will receive bonuses for having improved the stock performance, thanks to taxpayer money...

Yes, Obama has been doing a wonderful job changing Wall Street culture. He is not stupid, not only does he not bite the hand that feeds him, but he needs to give them a little more so that they can pay him back through political fundraising.

And yes, I voted for him...
I bolded your word "leader" as that is the big problem. Obama is not a "leader". He is president, but he is no leader. Big difference in the meaning of president and "leader".

Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM

921 posts, read 1,131,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
He let me and my parter down, we put him in office, he has dissed us and reminds of a taller Don Knotts, the change we need is not Obama but someone with some guts!
You all are going to crash this website with all of these "Obama Hate Threads"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies