Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you explain this verse in the "Christian Bible"?

Deuteronomy 17:3-5 (New International Version)

3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky, 4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.
We are not under the old Jewish laws in Deuteronomy, which is what you randomly chose out of the Bible. We are under grace and Jesus has commanded us to love our enemies. Maybe you should read the New Testament starting in the Book of John. It will be an eye opener for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
we would not be there if it was not for bush, thats not shifting blame its credit where credit is due

War with Iraq was inevitable. It was simply a matter of time.

Letter to President Clinton on Iraq

Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Although I am pretty hostile to most any organized religions including the useless "Christian" churches and child chasing Catholic churches, the one religion that is the most barbaric in terms of its philosophy of mass bloodshed, oppression and killing is the religion of Islam.
It has become clear to me that this religion and its followers are blood thirsty jackals for the most part. And today when I heard that the killer at Ft Hood was a Muslim who had praised suicide bombers in the past, I said "no surprise there".
The Christian nutcases are a mere nuisance when compared to the Muslim nutcases. The Catholics might molest children but it takes real lust for blood to strap a bomb on a kid and send him to his death - which a Muslim can justify if he can kill a few Jews while blowing himself up.
Check out these barbaric Muslims.

YouTube - 38. Famous people who converted to islam ..

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
We are not under the old Jewish laws in Deuteronomy, which is what you randomly chose out of the Bible. We are under grace and Jesus has commanded us to love our enemies. Maybe you should read the New Testament starting in the Book of John. It will be an eye opener for you.
I did not "randomly choose" anything out of the Bible. I intentionally selected it to show the history of the Christian religion.

So it was acceptable to kill people who worshiped other Gods at some point in time?

Also, didn't Jesus say He came not to replace the law but to fulfill it?

And, why do we still display the ten commandments all over the place if they are considered obsolete?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I did not "randomly choose" anything out of the Bible. I intentionally selected it to show the history of the Christian religion.

So it was acceptable to kill people who worshiped other Gods at some point in time?

Also, didn't Jesus say He came not to replace the law but to fulfill it?

And, why do we still display the ten commandments all over the place if they are considered obsolete?
This passage was given to the Jews. There were no Christians until after Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Jesus came to fulfill the Ten Commandments by calling us to (1) love God with all our hearts and (2) love our neighbors as we love ourselves. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert at Jewish laws and/or customs as we are not under those laws.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
War with Iraq was inevitable. It was simply a matter of time.

Letter to President Clinton on Iraq

True we were bound too go after that oil eventually.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:

You do realize that the bible was not written by jesus right? Jesus was a jew. In fact the bible was written by people who did not even have personal contact with jesus, they were removed by at least a generation.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
This passage was given to the Jews. There were no Christians until after Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Jesus came to fulfill the Ten Commandments by calling us to (1) love God with all our hearts and (2) love our neighbors as we love ourselves. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert at Jewish laws and/or customs as we are not under those laws.

would not loving our neighbors as ourselves discredit this entire thread?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
You do realize that the bible was not written by jesus right? Jesus was a jew. In fact the bible was written by people who did not even have personal contact with jesus, they were removed by at least a generation.
Wrong, several New Testament books were authored by people who have had a personal relationship with Jesus including: John, Mark, James, Peter, just to name a few.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
would not loving our neighbors as ourselves discredit this entire thread?
This thread was started by a non-Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies