Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,822,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"I wonder if this event would have ever taken place if some of his fellow soldiers didn't discriminate against their fellow soldier."

So now it's his fellow soldiers fault? Specifically what did the thirty-one persons shot and/or killed do?
The people murdered or injured may not be the ones who the shooter may have accused of expressing negative personal remarks on him. At the time of the crime he was probably blind with hatred.
I don't doubt with him being Muslim did not cause some of his fellow soldiers to express their opinions of terrorists and see him as an outsider and a reason for the wars. Let's not be naive and not think with his name he did not suffer some discrimination. Just look at whom we are targeting in both wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,077,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I specifically said there was no excuse for what he did. That's not the purpose of this post. It's too see what reasons caused the crazy person to take the next step. His rank doesn't authorize him to silent patients and soldiers from making discriminatory comments. I've treated patients in the VA and have been called racist non-sense and there is nothing you can do about it.

And run of your mill terrorists are typically not
1. born and raised in the United States
2. Highly educated in the United States
3. CHOOSE to enter the U.S. military

Obviously a series of events set him off and caused him to change his views.

Yes something set him off...........ISLAM which produces your run of the mill terrorists.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,298,333 times
Quote:
So if we would simply do what the terrorists want they would leave us alone?

Yeah! Get out of the Middle East! We seem to be cruder than the oil.

Crude. Crude. Crude.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,588,106 times
We need to start paying attention to the signs. This seems to be a pattern of military..like that guy in Iraq at the beginning of the war that used a hand grenade to kill soldiers in Iraq. I mean supposedly this guy expressed things to other soldiers about his discontent with the war, about muslims fighting other muslims..that to me would have been a red flag. Call it profiling..I don't really care. Too bad. IMO.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,091,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Before the good ole boys think its cool to discriminate upon and harrass anyone who is Muslim, you might want to consider the events that took place.

Dr. Hassan was an American born and raised in the good ole South of Virginia and not in some ethnic enclave in NYC. He was educated in the United States. He went to American high schools alongside Joe and Mary Smith. He was taught the Pledge of Allegiance just like you. He celebrated the 4th of July just like you. His neighbors reported that he wasn't an extremist. He CHOSE to enter the military, he didn't have to. He could have taken out loans like most medical students and would have made more money and had a better lifestyle going that route but he obviously felt some duty to this country otherwise he wouldn't have entered the military.

Dr. Hassan's cousin and other family members reported that he suffered discrimination and anti-Muslim remarks in the military. That obviously led to a lot of anger in this individual. It's obvious something switched and he changed his outlook and wanted out of the military.

I'm not arguing that what he did was justified. Regardless of how one is treated, there is no excuse or justification to do what he did. He is obviously a sick individual. Unfortunately, not everyone who is a victim of prejudice and discrimination is strong enough and has enough sense and sanity to forgive and ignore those attitudes.

People say the war in Iraq doesn't lead to terrorists. They say this type of racism and discrimination doesn't lead to terrorism. Maybe that isn't the case. Perhaps, we need to take a different approach and not engage in activities that lead to hate and bitterness. I wonder if this event would have ever taken place if some of his fellow soldiers didn't discriminate against their fellow soldier.
So, since you KNOW that it was discrimination that led him to commit murder, why don't you enlighten us as to why he sympahized with suicide bombers in his own blog postings? Is it not possible to be discriminated against without sympathizing with the nation's enemies?

Funny how the left on this forum are quick to jump on the Perpetual Victim bandwagon just because a family member rushing to preserve the family name screams that he was persecuted by other military folks. Purely anecdotal.

This guy was disturbed far beyond disagreements over the war and military. He was a fruitcake waiting to explode. He found his outlet, and he exploited it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 11-06-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,091,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
The people murdered or injured may not be the ones who the shooter may have accused of expressing negative personal remarks on him. At the time of the crime he was probably blind with hatred.
I don't doubt with him being Muslim did not cause some of his fellow soldiers to express their opinions of terrorists and see him as an outsider and a reason for the wars. Let's not be naive and not think with his name he did not suffer some discrimination. Just look at whom we are targeting in both wars.
I would suggest to you that it is us, the United States of America, that is being targeted. Not the other way around. They brought the fight to us, so we took it back to them.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,177,613 times
Quote:
How much tolerance should I have for a religion prescribes death for its apostates and Christian evangelists?
I ask forgiveness in advance for being flippant- but some of those evangelists have it coming.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,589,626 times
Yes he's a clearly the victim isn't he.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,589,626 times
Really if things were so terrible for him in this country then why didn't he turn around and immigrate back to his own country? What made him leave his wonderful Islamic paradise or choose not to return to it? NO ONE FORCED HIM TO BE HERE IN THIS COUNTRY.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,854,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Is it likely he'll be tried and if convicted, be sentenced to execution?
That will happen for sure. If he dreaded the thought of being deployed, wait until he has to sit in a cell and wait for the firing squad...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies