Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,273,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Well, the US is going to have to be prepared for that. At some point in time, we are going to have to bite the bullet, and hunker down for a rough go while the budget gets balanced, and we put ourselves in a position to enact tariffs, and get the economy turned back around.
Yeah, this is true. Regardless of party affiliation, I don't think ANY politician has the stones to say what most logical Americans KNOW is the truth: That we are in for a long hard road to dig this country out of the mess we're in....

It includes, yes;

-Raising Taxes
-Cutting spending

What's funny is I think both parties realize that we need to cut spending and then get in office and realize (how they didn't realize earlier is beyond me) that they CANNOT cut spending without pissing somebody off!!!

I was discussing this with a neighbor of mine who is a Republican and I brought up Clinton balancing the budget. His response was, "Yeah, but it was at the expense of the military!!!".

And that's kind of the point. It HAS to be at the expense of SOMEBODY, right?

It's mindboggling how everyone realizes we need to sacrifice, but yet nobody is WILLING to sacrifice....

(Time for a third party YET?? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph107 View Post
Each household should have gotten $8000 in cash in February , but he decided to give it to burrecrats in DC and call it a stimulus plan.
You have to legalize drugs before giving every household a check like that, or else you will just funnel a bunch of money to the black market and most of it will go out of the country, tax-free of course.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times
EXAMINER EDITORIAL HOT ZONE: How many more jobs will Obama kill? | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/EXAMINER-EDITORIAL-HOT-ZONE-How-many-more-jobs-will-Obama-kill-69368047.html - broken link)

EXAMINER EDITORIAL HOT ZONE: How many more jobs will Obama kill?

Quote:
But businesses aren't investing in new jobs, they are instead hoarding cash, waiting for the next shoe to drop in Washington on such issues as health care reform, cap-and-trade, and federal taxes, spending and deficits.
This is basically what I've been saying all along. Business and individuals understand the massive tax hikes coming down the pike from obama and the dems/libs. There is NO WAY they can implement their radical spending and expansion of government WITHOUT those taxes.

That is forcing business tighten the belt and also the most important factor, the consumer.

The consumer is not spending. Until that changes, you will continue to see job losses.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,181,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol Coming from you that means ummmmmm nothing

Hey how do you like your stimulus spending? Hows that working for us? Are you happy with the fraud happening with it?

I am sure you like how Obama is basically paying back folks that voted him in office.

Ok, first thing, the "stimulus bill" is not doing what I suggested in my post. As I said, we need mass temporary federal hiring. Please point out to me where that was contained in the stimulus bill? If you guessed, no where, you are correct.

Ironically, 1/3 of the stimulus bill went to tax deductions.......which did absolutely nothing, as I pointed out, yet you some how think would be the solution to everything.

We do NOT need to be handing people cash rebates, tax reductions, tax rebates on new home purchasing, tax deductions to private employers, giving blank checks to states to spend as they wish, or simply offering money through government contracts to private employers. All of this, which the stimulus bill was full of, is hog wash.

By the way, if you want to talk about fraud, why dont we start with defense spending under Dubbya.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,735,028 times
The greatest "bamboozle" in history of the world is that people have been brainwashed to believe that when the government steals from its people it is doing them a favor. That people have been brainwashed to believe that when the government destroys freedom it has somehow helped them. That people have been brainwashed to believe that it is "just" to use government force to oppress their neighbors. That people have been brainwashed to believe that it is better to be a quaranteed pauper than to face the results, good or bad, of being free. We little insects who dwell under the shadow of our tyrants boot, how enlightened we truly are.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM

146 posts, read 154,790 times
Obama is doing the opposite of Clinton what happend during clinton years.

In 90s government spending was very much under control and as a result we had a solid economy with an optimistic future.

Now our government wants to be a middle man to everything, spending is way out of control. Businesses know this so they are hoarding cash due to the political uncertainty they face.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,326,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think it would encourage hiring big time, but it would also increase deficits, and Republicans would raise hell about that.
As a small business owner, I can tell you that hiring will not take happen until consumers start spending. We are not in business to make the unemployment numbers look good. We exist to make money.

Right now profits are due to to operational cuts. Cutting the number of employees, hours, benefits, etc. Profits are not coming from increases in profit margin and definitely not sales volume.

In regards to the deficit. We need to make cuts and create policies that make fiscal sense. Too much money is being spent on our millitary empire, taxes, and health insurance. We need fiscal policies that put discretionary income back in the pockets of the middle class. There are too many policies that are based on principle and not fiscal prudence.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM

146 posts, read 154,790 times
the whole democrat concept that the economy will get better when we take money away from consumers is so backwards

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,273,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The greatest "bamboozle" in history of the world is that people have been brainwashed to believe that when the government steals from its people it is doing them a favor. That people have been brainwashed to believe that when the government destroys freedom it has somehow helped them. That people have been brainwashed to believe that it is "just" to use government force to oppress their neighbors. That people have been brainwashed to believe that it is better to be a quaranteed pauper than to face the results, good or bad, of being free. We little insects who dwell under the shadow of our tyrants boot, how enlightened we truly are.
Yup, right on cue.....

Both parties use government to "destroy freedom" by your definition.

I see that one party takes money and tries to use a lot of it to re-invest and actually help Americans get health insurance, and provide a financial bridge to those out of work until they can find work, etc... Yes, I hold my nose and accept it. I dont' think anyone should need 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.

On the flip side, I see another party who "destroys freedom" by investing heavily into our military and uses the military time and time again to the benefit of a select few corporations and industries. They also pass bills that are misnomers like the "Patriot Act" that kills "freedom" worse than ANYthing that I've seen in my lifetime...

I finally realized myself, that until a viable third party that will stop the nonsense comes along I will go with the side that "destroys freedom" by re-investing in this nation AT HOME and it's people rather than further building up the military and creating wars abroad and pissing off the world to the benefit of those who are already disgustingly wealthy.

They both spend like drunken sailors. The best option is the one that spends most of the money within our borders on things that benefit MORE people.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,939,495 times
Welcome to Obama's vision of a new America...Hows all that hope and change working out for you...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies