Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I would hope not, as Clinton signed Glass Steagall away clear back in 1999 -- which, incidently, caused investment banks to come under the same Basel II Accord rules that central banks had to follow.

And .. if you would care to to notice, those PROPOSALS, were written clear back in 1980-something .. they are no longer mere proposals.

Glass Steagall kept investment banks safe from the rules of the Basel II Accord.
Lehman brothers started in the mid 1800's, and exploded in size around the 1980's and early 1990's during a merger and then split off from AMEX, during the time when the Glass Steagall act was law.

The repeal of the Glass Steagall had minimum affect upon Lehman Brothers because they did not open up bank branches, they did not offer checking accounts, savings accounts, cds. They did invested in banks true, but they ALWAYS did that, even before the repeal of the act. They often took equity in banks in exchange for fees to take banks public or as an alternative to charging commissions on brokering banks securities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well, to start, here are these;

Lehman Brothers Bank FSB, a Delaware-based thrift
Woodlands Commercial Bank, Utah
Lehman Brothers Bank became Aurora Bank and I dont know about Woodlands, but NEITHER one of these ae "Lehman Brothers Holding"..They are assets that Lehman Brothers INVESTED in.. Do you understand how seperate corporate entities are seperate companies and how company A can INVEST in company B?

Here is one example
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...52F79L20090317
Woodlands, which was earlier known as Lehman Brothers Commercial Bank, has been funded primarily by brokered certificates of deposit. As of December 31, it had total assets of about $5.4 billion and Lehman's equity of about $432 million, according to the filing.

Lehman BROKERED the deal to fund the Certificates of Deposits, they did not "OWN" the bank..

Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lehman Brothers Bank became Aurora Bank and I dont know about Woodlands, but NEITHER one of these ae "Lehman Brothers Holding"..They are assets that Lehman Brothers INVESTED in.. Do you understand how seperate corporate entities are seperate companies and how company A can INVEST in company B?

Here is one example
Lehman puts two bank units on market: source | U.S. | Reuters
Woodlands, which was earlier known as Lehman Brothers Commercial Bank, has been funded primarily by brokered certificates of deposit. As of December 31, it had total assets of about $5.4 billion and Lehman's equity of about $432 million, according to the filing.

Lehman BROKERED the deal to fund the Certificates of Deposits, they did not "OWN" the bank..
Well I guess the DBA Lehman Brothers doesn't mean much then, does it?

Quote:
Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB provides banking services. It offers savings accounts, home loans, mortgages, and residential and commercial real estate financing products. The company’s services include online banking, credit cards, and brokerage. It has operations in Jersey City, New Jersey; and Boston, Massachusetts. Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB was formerly known as Delaware Savings Bank, FSB and changed its name to Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB in June 1999. The company was founded in 1921 and is based in Wilmington, Delaware. As of July 1, 1999, Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB operates as a subsidiary of Lehman Brothers Bancorp Inc.
http://investing.businessweek.com/re...vcapId=1027562

Lehman Brothers, through bankrupcy, was forced to sell it's commercial banking operations.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek

Lehman Brothers, through bankrupcy, was forced to sell it's commercial banking operations.
Lehman Brothers was not a DBA..

And your link confirms my point..
The changes in the "name" and structure for Lehman Brothers Bank took place a week before the repeal of the Glass Steagall Act.

Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB a subsidiary of Lehman Brothers Bancorp Inc., and Lehman Brothers Bancorp Inc is a subsidiary of Lehman Brothers Holding Inc (and I wouldnt doubt there are a few in the middle)..

Subsidiaries are NOT the same companies, they are INVESTMENTS in these companies or taking equity in exchange for fees. Do you see the little "Inc" in the names, they are SEPERATE Companies, and not DBA's, they are Corporations. Do you see the DIFFERENT names.. I put them in bold for you..

Regarldess we are SOO off topic now that its laughable..

Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Regarldess we are SOO off topic now that its laughable..
I agree.

I hope others were as amused or otherwise entertained as I was.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. dba Lehman Brothers (Headquarters) - New York - New York - USA - D&B - AlacraStore.com

Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Mr Obama, where are the jobs? I am seriously getting desperate, almost 2 months unemployed and I am afraid I may be sitting at home for another year or two if I don't take action. I hate unemployment, I hate just sitting around doing nothing, I am thinking about relocating to another state and working ANY job because I can't stand this life anymore. Where are the damn jobs you promised, Mr Obama?
Recovery.gov
See if there's anything in your area.

Some money went to the states.
The states spent some of that money retaining teachers.
60,000 teachers in California, for example.

And I'm sure we had this discussion a year ago, but expecting the stimulus to replace all the jobs lost in the recession is not realistic. Its too little for that.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=1027562

Lehman Brothers HOLDING Inc is done as Lehman Brothers

You listed FAR MORE than just "HOLDING", do I need to go back and recap your postings which included Bank FSB, Bankcorp Inc, and numerous others?

Lehman Brothers Holding Inc, (aka Lehman Brothers) is NOT these OTHER companies.. They are DIFFERENT, subsidiaries, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COMPANIES.. Are you still in high school where you dont understand different corporations are different companies? I'll excuse your ignorance if you are..

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies