Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times

Advertisements

No society will ever be better off by subjugating half the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?
It's not the cost of living rising, it's wages falling. It now takes two incomes to afford Chinese crap at SLAVEMART. That tells me the Middle Class is gone

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
I would have to say yes to the OP's question.

However ,to be fair, it isn't women working, but 2 members of households working.

I predicted this would happen when I observed the start of 2 income families in my area.( mid 60's) I recall one of the women who was the first hired on a factory assembly line that payed good wages

She stated it was unbelievable as her family had 2 very good incomes.
I recall thinking at the time that this would not last. As more and more families became 2 wage earner families, I predicted society would adjust to lower wages/wage increases and higher costs so that in the future 2 income families would be no better off than one income families were in the mid 60's.

Here we are---------45 years later-------and I think my prediction came true.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Now this is actually something I have thought about. Would there be increased wage jobs if there were less in the work force? I grew up with a SAH mom. BTW I have worked my entire life through raising two myself.

Actually it is the illegal immigrant population that has driven down wages. It would be better if mothers could stay home but not because they hurt the workplace but for the benefit of the family. Women are just as productive as men.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Since women comprise the majority of workers in the fields of health care and education, specifically primary or elementary education, there would be a huge deficit in 2 essential services.

WHO | Spotlight on statistics - <i>A fact file on health workforce statistics</i>

United Nations Statistics Division - Demographic and Social Statistics

Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,903 times
Off topic:

I think problems in society began when women stopped being selective about who they mated with and had babies with.

If deadbeats found it IMPOSSIBLE to obtain sex unless he stopped being one, he'd stop being one.

The old 50's dating guidelines for girls: "Play hard to get. You have something highly valuable and desired by the male sex." Gone and out the window.

Welcome to our society where all kinds of unqualified people become parents.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Default Agree or disagree: American society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace

Prima materia response:

YouTube - Honoring a Hero: Sgt. Munley

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?

This is one we agree on . The hand that rocked the cradle ruled our world , now they went to work and ruined it in some ways [ Not meant for the women that because of their erlier peers now have to work ] .

I'm an old woman and Ive seen the negative change take place over the years.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Disagree, the spousal social security payments would rapidly bankrupt the system.

Working spouses has resulted in significantly enhanced social security funding, without the link to proportionately higher subsequent payouts.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No society will ever be better off by subjugating half the population.

I use to love being ' subjugated '! I got to see ater my kids, have men treat me like a lady and most had respect for their mothers and sisters and other women . Not anymore ! Kids are mostly bossy little degenerants ,fat ,lazy and lost .

Women now get abused more than they did then . And society has gone to hell since they women left the men and kids to have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies