Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I understand what you are trying to say, but it honestly it irritates me when people go into that "must have mother and father" spiel. As a person who experienced the loss of a father through death at a very young age, I often encourage people to remember that in some cases, people simply do not have a choice in the family structure in which their children are raised. Not to sound corny, but I really do believe that it takes a village. As long as children have positive role models and a strong support system, they can be raised in a variety of different ways and still turn out well.

Also, I don't know how up to date you are on current music, but love and romance really have not gone anywhere.

A parent dying is not the same thing ! A parent that is alive and dosen't care for is kids is worse in the long run .

I see no romance in rap crap and very little in the other music. Most country music is about cheating and rock is abot looking for sex more so than romance .

They are still some good romantic songs , just not enough .

Take a good look at the songs blacks use to sing compared the the filth they mostly sing now . Motown ruled and had bands like the Temptations, Marvin Gay ,All Green, Percy Sledge BBKing, and many others . These men looked and dressed like men not some poor kid with his 200 lb older sibblings pants on showing hs private parts and crack of his butt !

These songs were familiy inspiring on the most part, not kill a cop, rape the white B--ch and kill the crcckers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

After that little diatribe then you followed it with this Chopra saying, which was exactly what I said.
You said no such thing remotely close. Your entire premise is that the personal choices of feminists are "relative" ... in that what is right for them personally is right in and of itself.

Quote:
Sorry, you don't control the world. People have the right to make their own choices. You may not agree with them. Tough.
Not when their choices affect others ... when that happens, others have a say in those decisions, and if you can't grasp that ... tough!

Quote:
How do you know feminists don't accept personal responsibility? Do you have a poll or a link? Or is this just your hunch as you seem to have so much disdain for feminism. Irrational disdain at that.
I have eyes and can see ... because I can read ... and I have read the self centered opinions of the "feminists" here and elsewhere, which leaves little room for misinterpretation. The I-ME-MINE attitude is very clear.

Quote:
Yes, sadly are still a lot of women who do not understand the concepts of feminism.
Ah yes ..silly little women, they just don't understand, according to whom? You? Sounds to me like YOU are the one women should worry about. How casually you dismiss their views as inconsequential and ignorant.

Of course the possibility that YOU are wrong and that THEY simply REJECT this selfish and depraved mindset that demonstrates such narcissism is just not possible, aye?

Quote:
Wow, I wonder what she would think if she read this?
She did read it, and thought it to be 100% correct.

Quote:
Whose opinions about men is jaded? Contrary to popular belief, feminism is not about men. At all. I think that it what ticks so many men off. It's not about you. There is no resentment from me, no jaded views. Feminism is about women. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the tennets of feminism, and I would suggest you do some more reading.
Let me redirect your faltering attention span to some comments in this thread:

Now, everyone go read the thread on Fort Hood's hero. I am so glad she wasn't at home cooking dinner for some dope who couldn't feed himself or doing "womanly" work like cleaning a toilet...

Then read some history about the great contributions to this country women have made DESPITE being told they are nothing more than breeding/cleaning cattle.

and:

"mothers should not sacrifice their children in order to have a career that they also aren't very good at."

Men do.

AND: true equality comes when women CAN be mediocre, even lousy, and still keep their jobs...just like men.

(What an enlightened attitude ... striving for mediocrity to lousy, while labeling men as such. As I have contended ... a race to the bottom!!!)

And:

Oh that's simple!....those "unimportant, low paying" jobs are reserved for women, minorities and the elderly(racISM, sexISM, ageISM)....they just aren't good enough for the Royal Male!!!

and:

Citing a few incidents of unfairness towards males does NOT erase thousands of years of oppression of women.

and:

And, if only those "clear thinking men" could keep their pecker in their pants we wouldn't see all the sex scandals associated with
"clear thinking men " in power....

(here, apparently, the other END of the connection is conveniently ignored)

This two income myth is lame...people can make it on one. They just can't have all the crap they want.

(here we have shear denial ... problem? What problem? )

and:

I can do just about anything as well as or better than a guy. In fact, I'm a better driver, I make more money, I can fix more things, I'm better educated, I can speak more languages, I'm more well-traveled, and I'm smarter than 99% of men in this country. To say I should shut up, give up my six figure salary, and sit at home so some guy like you can have his ego stroked again like 'the good old days' is beyond ludicrous.

(if you were to look up delusions of grandeur; narcissism in the dictionary, you'll likely see the connection. But this isn't about men? This is prime time penis envy, including the male moniker of the female poster)

and:

Sons, just sons. Girls are less desirable!

My Three Sons, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I think the only TV "family" in the 50s to have a girl was "The Danny Thomas Show", b/c DT had a daughter IRL.

and:

It is cruel to women to leave them at the mercy of the men, who cheat at will because they know their jobless wives cannot just leave them.

(the poster obviously is unfamiliar with the man who works 80 hours a week to support his family, only to find out his wife has been sleeping with the unemployed next door neighbor)

It is cruel to women to relegate their sole purpose in life to the bearing of children and child-rearing. Not everyone will feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that their life's work has been summed up to this.

(Tell it to God, if SHE wanted men to raise the children, SHE would have given HIM BREASTS. Or, how about just don't have them if you think raising them is BENEATH YOU?)

I'll stop here with the examples.

Quote:
Feminism is about women seeking equal opportunities when relevant, respect, and fair treatment, particularly under the law. Your wife would not be where she is today without the history of the feminist movement.
My wife succeeded because of her skills and work ethic, of which she has an abundance, and not because of Ms. Magazine, or some government quota requirement. Women have enjoyed a place in the US Navy long before that wretched con artist/communist/CIA provocateur Gloria Steinem slivered out of her nest. Ooooh ... the face of feminism has a very dubious background ... you should educate yourself.

And maybe you have a healthy foundation for your advocacy of women's rights, to which I would not, nor have I ever argued against. I think ALL PEOPLE have inalienable rights, and no one should be unfairly treated. But that is a different matter than clinging to a fallacy that all people are EQUAL in ability, or that ALL roles are interchangeable between men and women.

And maybe your claim is true (for you) that this is not an issue about men. But many of your feminist sisters have made it quite clear that for them, this is a WAR .. and MEN are the enemy.

Which goes right back to my fundamental point from the beginning ... that the feminist movement of the 1960's and 70's was a carefully designed strategy to re-engineer middle class America, destroy the family structure by pitting women against men, inflate the cost of living by doubling the work force, and facilitate the abandoning of the children to the clutches of government indoctrination camps, otherwise known as the public school system for their mental development and values.

And for those women who received benefits of this, the societal costs as can be easily calculated now, was much too high, including the costs to themselves. Many clear thinking women fully recognize this now.

Of course, to you, these women just don't understand. I contend that they DO understand something that apparently you don't.

Throughout the Animal kingdom, nothing is more fierce than a mother protecting their young .... not even a powerful male predator seeking food will pose the type of danger that a mother bear poses should you stumble upon her and her cubs.

ONLY in the human animal it seems that such instincts can be overcome by simply dangling a MS. MAGAZINE in front of their faces, to which they'll run off chanting "Let poppa bear worry about the babies, I AM WOMAN, and SEE ME ROAR in the boardroom.

And it is this you consider progress and success.

What it is, is an explanation as to why a large segment of the population are now drooling, babbling idiots who cannot form a coherent thought of their own, let alone make a rational decision based on right and wrong.

And oh what a lovely world we have right now ... don't we? Paradise!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
A parent dying is not the same thing ! A parent that is alive and dosen't care for is kids is worse in the long run .

I see no romance in rap crap and very little in the other music. Most country music is about cheating and rock is abot looking for sex more so than romance .

Take a good look at the songs blacks use to sing compared the the filth they mostly sing now . Motown ruled and had bands like the Temptations, Marvin Gay ,All Green, Percy Sledge BBKing, and many others . These men looked and dressed like men not some poor kid with his 200 lb older sibblings pants on showing hs private parts and crack of his butt !

These songs were familiy inspiring on the most part, not kill a cop, rape the white B--ch and kill the crcckers .
Or even family-producing when I think of certain lyrics by Marvin Gaye

Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:

I've read your posts, and you have a very solid view, which I believe only comes with knowledge and experience. I dare say many here simply are too young and have no real recollection or experience of better times.

The music you refer to is one element of this full scale assault that many are clueless about. But this is no accident ... and not a sign of the times .. it is the creation of the times through the mechanisms of hollywood and the music industry that manipulates public opinion ... TV is a classic example, as was mentioned earlier, and the contrast between "Leave it to beaver" versus Beavis and Butthead is such a clear example.

We've become a crass society based on the bombardment of such things, and truly are in a race to the bottom. The girls today dress like street hookers, only their services are free ... they don't respect themselves enough to even charge. The boys are effeminate in large proportions, and apathy rules the day. There seems to be no intrusion or indignity imposed on us capable of summoning a response, from naked body scanners to endless wars to politicians blatantly lying through their teeth.

The social engineers behind all of this have understood that women are the driving force in American society ... responsible for most financial decisions and purchases, (and morality) and that to direct the course of society, one must direct the course of women.

If you can destroy the morality of women, they will take the men along for the ride. And if they can convince women to abandon their own children, they have successfully captured the soul of the nation, as without control over these women, they have no control, and they know this.

I doubt they ever imagined how easy the task would be in the beginning.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
These expanded posts are getting boring. Heres the bottom line in my view...

Common sense rules. Eliminate waste in time spent with the eccentric feminist.
All they want to do is argue and wreck peoples day some how, misery loves company.

I have never seen a peaceful normal comment from an eccentric feminist. They are forever on
red alert ...DESTROY, DISMANTLE , TAKE OVER.

If anything after reading this thread who can tell who the eccentric feminist are in real day to day life? So , in order to make sure I do not contribute , will avoid...

1) lady real estate agents, 2) lady lawyers, 3) lady dentists, 4) lady cops ect ect

I think this is all we men and good ladies can do, to send a message to the extreme feminists. They are trouble and lastly........

NEVER, NEVER..... HIRE A WOMEN TO MANAGE OTHERS, (without 6 month trial )

Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Also they don't work half the hours we do and they get long vacations we don't get .In fact many of us even work through our vacations to make extra money !
Yeah. And do you see how they live? You could work less, too, if you reevaluated your wants vs needs.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I'll have to go with Neither agree nor disagree, what I do think is we need at least one parent staying at home at least during the early years of childhood. That parent preferably should be the Mother.

On the other hand maybe that's not best for the family, for example my cousin worked his ass off for a few years while his wife went to school. Now she commands a salary of almost 100K which is far more than he will ever make. He's stay at home Dad now.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Ah yes ..silly little women, they just don't understand, according to whom? You? Sounds to me like YOU are the one women should worry about. How casually you dismiss their views as inconsequential and ignorant.

Of course the possibility that YOU are wrong and that THEY simply REJECT this selfish and depraved mindset that demonstrates such narcissism is just not possible, aye?
I'm not dismissing anyone. If they have made choices for themselves, without being pressured, then kudos to them.

Quote:
My wife succeeded because of her skills and work ethic, of which she has an abundance, and not because of Ms. Magazine, or some government quota requirement. Women have enjoyed a place in the US Navy long before that wretched con artist/communist/CIA provocateur Gloria Steinem slivered out of her nest. Ooooh ... the face of feminism has a very dubious background ... you should educate yourself.
The feminist movement began way before Gloria Steinem was born....you should educate yourself. I am a little confused here though, this thread is about whether or not society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace. You are arguing for that position, and yet proudly extolling your wife's accomplishment in said workplace. It sounds as though she has accomplished a lot, but I'm confused how you reconcile these two opposing positions?

Quote:
And maybe you have a healthy foundation for your advocacy of women's rights, to which I would not, nor have I ever argued against. I think ALL PEOPLE have inalienable rights, and no one should be unfairly treated. But that is a different matter than clinging to a fallacy that all people are EQUAL in ability, or that ALL roles are interchangeable between men and women.
I have never claimed that there are no differences between men and women. I said men and women should receive equal opportunities when relevant.

Quote:
And maybe your claim is true (for you) that this is not an issue about men. But many of your feminist sisters have made it quite clear that for them, this is a WAR .. and MEN are the enemy.
I won't speak for others, but the only men who I would consider my "enemy" are misogynists who would like to make life choices for me.

Quote:
Which goes right back to my fundamental point from the beginning ... that the feminist movement of the 1960's and 70's was a carefully designed strategy to re-engineer middle class America, destroy the family structure by pitting women against men, inflate the cost of living by doubling the work force, and facilitate the abandoning of the children to the clutches of government indoctrination camps, otherwise known as the public school system for their mental development and values.

And for those women who received benefits of this, the societal costs as can be easily calculated now, was much too high, including the costs to themselves. Many clear thinking women fully recognize this now.

Of course, to you, these women just don't understand. I contend that they DO understand something that apparently you don't.

Throughout the Animal kingdom, nothing is more fierce than a mother protecting their young .... not even a powerful male predator seeking food will pose the type of danger that a mother bear poses should you stumble upon her and her cubs.

ONLY in the human animal it seems that such instincts can be overcome by simply dangling a MS. MAGAZINE in front of their faces, to which they'll run off chanting "Let poppa bear worry about the babies, I AM WOMAN, and SEE ME ROAR in the boardroom.

And it is this you consider progress and success.

What it is, is an explanation as to why a large segment of the population are now drooling, babbling idiots who cannot form a coherent thought of their own, let alone make a rational decision based on right and wrong.

And oh what a lovely world we have right now ... don't we? Paradise!
Again, did you not say your wife works? Do all feminists work, and everyone else is a stay-at-home-mom? This has a lot to do with economics, as well as the choice made by each individual family. I will also add that you are making a lot of very innacurate assumptions about feminists today, and feminism today. You would be very surprised I think if you opened your eyes and looked beyond stereotypes.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'll have to go with Neither agree nor disagree, what I do think is we need at least one parent staying at home at least during the early years of childhood. That parent preferably should be the Mother.

On the other hand maybe that's not best for the family, for example my cousin worked his ass off for a few years while his wife went to school. Now she commands a salary of almost 100K which is far more than he will ever make. He's stay at home Dad now.

The Family has a good income and has a parent that stays home....

What is wrong with that?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The Family has a good income and has a parent that stays home....

What is wrong with that?
My daughter is an attorney in Nashville and my SIL is a SAHD.

Works out good for everyone, near as I can tell. My grandson loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies