Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?
And just who would do the jobs some men consider 'too unmanly' for them to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And just who would do the jobs some men consider 'too unmanly' for them to do?
Oh that's simple!....those "unimportant, low paying" jobs are reserved for women, minorities and the elderly(racISM, sexISM, ageISM)....they just aren't good enough for the Royal Male!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Wrong ! Divorce was seldom an option so no man had to care for 2 or 3 different sets of kids .,
So instead we had both men and women who were miserable in their marriages. Hm, sounds like a 'better' situation - NOT!
Quote:
jobs were plenty for men and for the women who chose not to have a family . We have many more poor now than we did then .
If jobs were so 'plentiful', tell me why my father had to move almost a dozen times to find work between 1948 and 1965. And, even in the fifties, my mother had to work so they could keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.

Quote:
PS Also we were a happier society ,or music was mostly about romance and love ,
Still is, it just sounds a bit different because the ideas of love and romance are a bit different to our children and grandchildren than they were to us. As my mother said to me and I said to my children, 'just because your love doesn't look like mine and your music doesn't sound like mine, that doesn't mean it is less valid.'
Quote:
our kids had respect , our most kids had fathers at home . No we have 500% increase in violence, venerial dease and childhood suicides . Our kids are los without their mothers and fathers .
And plenty of the kids today still have respect for their elders, and some of those without their fathers in the home are better off for it. When you look for the bad in life, you tend to ignore the good. That is why I have always made it a habit to look for the good in life and in others before allowing myself to see any bad. (that's another of those lessons I learned from my mother, who, BTW, grew up during the depression)

Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Didn't know what to do with this email, so I put it here.

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa..'

'Pencil', however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you
had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

Last edited by ergohead; 11-07-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's great that you're happy with the way your life turned out and the choices that you made but the women in my family have always worked outside of the home regardless of if they've married and had children or not. That's been going on for as long as I can remember and includes both my grandmothers. It would never have occurred to either of them not to work and contribute. If women want to make the choice to marry, stay home and work I take no issue with that at all and find it a very fulfilling and commendable choice and completely their choice to make. However I've never really wanted to be married, will probably never have children and the idea that women should not work in preference to male only workforce would only end up with me completely losing my autonomy and my independence because if I'm not working and earning my own money where would you suggest that I go?
Pakistan perhaps? Saudi Arabia maybe? Or I could be one of those women in India who have become widowed and are cast out on the street by their families to become beggars. Perhaps I could go take up house with my Dad and have him provide for me? Or I suppose I could enter into a marriage contract with some guy who's desperate for a live in house keeper........maybe I should have just not been born a girl child in the first place? I hear that's a big problem in China.

I'm not sure where the idea there was a time when women didn't work came from, I'd venture to say if not for the women of the war effort it would be a very different landscape we would live in today. Women have always worked, they just haven't always been renumerated or recognized for it, in some places they still aren't. I'm grateful I live in a country where as a woman I am not a second class citizen and I am afforded all the rights and responsibilities that come along with that. One of the most basic rights is the right to renumeration for your work effort. By all means be happy with your choices but please don't attempt to whittle away mine.
Wanted to rep you, but apparently I must have done elsewhere in the last 24-46 hours. So consider this my rep to you,

Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
I worked for BNSF railroad for many years. I don't know if some of you are familiar with the railroad, but its a little like trucking but much more organized. The hiring policy for BNSF up until recently was always to try to hire family members of other railroaders. There are many whole families that work for the railroad.

I know, it doesn't make much sense right? What companies actually pursue whole families to work for them? Usually its the other way around.

The reason why has to do with the railroad lifestyle. A railroader might leave their home, ride on a train for 10-12 hours to a destination, stay in a hotel for a day, then ride back home on a train for 10-12 hours back home. Once they get home, they are usually only given enough time to sleep and not much more before being called out again on another train. They are always on-call, they can't really make plans outside of their vacation days. They don't know when they'll be home.

It takes a special kind of person to be a railroader, their divorce rate is through the roof, and their kids barely know them. Most people do not want to be a railroader and many don't stay in the railroad for long. But, the kids that are raised by the railroad parent know what the railroad life is like, so they are much more likely to be more understanding and tolerant of it.

So the question I ask you is, do you think railroaders make good parents? Why do you feel that way?

Do you think both parents working outside of the home, and kids coming home after school to an empty house, and being alone all day long during school vacation days(summer) is a good thing?

You feel the way you do based on your own experiences in life, and I am sure many will not share your opinions. So the question is, is there always a "right answer"? I like to believe the right answer is the one that makes the world a better place. The right answer isn't only right if EVERYONE agrees with it.

The world was a better place when women stayed at home with their kids and actually raised them, instead of pawning them off on daycare or outright abandoning them.

Were there exceptions? Of course. Were there bad mothers? Of course. Were there abusive fathers? Sadly, yes. But just because there are a few bad apples doesn't mean you scrap the whole system.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?
This is a personal choice. If women want to work, that's fine.

What I find discouraging is that in these days (from around the late 70's maybe), they have to for a family to have enough income to survive.

It used to be an option. Now, it's necessary.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Ah the American Taliban, perhaps Burkas and Polygamy?
I think you are missing the point of his question.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It was the thread about a woman being "forced" to wear diapers to work that inspired this thread. I have a feeling that the men she worked with wished that they could have kept women out of their work environment.
Huh?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I do not understand why there is even a poll like this? Women and men are equal so I voted strongly disagree. I also would have had no problem with Hilary becoming President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies