Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:52 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

This question is for the smokers....

I cannot handle the smell of cigarette smoke and it makes breathing a challenge for me and my eyes water. What should I do if I am waiting at a bus stop and someone lights up next to me? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Do what I do when someone is wearing cologne or perfume. Deal with it.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Do what I do when someone is wearing cologne or perfume. Deal with it.
Thanks for your advice and for confirming to me just how inconsiderate smokers can be.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Thanks for your advice and for confirming to me just how inconsiderate smokers can be.
As considerate as those who wear cologne or perfume so strongly that it makes me sick to my stomach?

Yeah--but I DEAL with it!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
I am a smoker. I am thinking seriously about quitting.
I do consider others around me. If I am around someone I try to not let my smoke go in their direction. I will move or go outside.
I don't smoke around my grandkids.
Even as a smoker I don't like other peoples smoke in my face. Kinda weird but that is the way it is.
I try to be considerate and be concious of other peoples comfort zone.
I know it is a bad habit and I have no intentions of making others around me uncomfortable because of my bad habit.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I am a smoker. I am thinking seriously about quitting.
I do consider others around me. If I am around someone I try to not let my smoke go in their direction. I will move or go outside.
I don't smoke around my grandkids.
Even as a smoker I don't like other peoples smoke in my face. Kinda weird but that is the way it is.
I try to be considerate and be concious of other peoples comfort zone.
I know it is a bad habit and I have no intentions of making others around me uncomfortable because of my bad habit.
I wish the smokers I encounter would be as considerate as you seem to be.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
This question is for the smokers....

I cannot handle the smell of cigarette smoke and it makes breathing a challenge for me and my eyes water. What should I do if I am waiting at a bus stop and someone lights up next to me? Thanks for your input.
Best way is to politely and calmly ask if they stand downwind from you. That is if you were there first, if they were there first, then you stand upwind.

Simple as that. The one who was there first has the their preferences honored first and asking someone to move politely and with basic people skills prevents a snide comment or an argument 95% of the time.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Every smoker is a different person. Please don't base your opinion of all smokers on one quip posted in a reply to you on an Internet forum.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I encounter a lot of cigarette smoke at school and I understand you may want to die but don't threaten the quality of my lungs.
I'm considering one of those masks people wear when they paint with non-VOC paints.
It's getting really annoying.

Smoking, IMO, is a bit different than perfumes and cologne.
Someone with asthma can die if they are exposed to too much cigarette smoke. We KNOW smoking is horrible for your health...
Perfumes and cologne...not so much. It gives me a headache but I can take a pill and the headache is gone.
As far as my lungs getting damaged to being exposed to second-hand smoke...as far as I know no pill exists to reverse the damage.

If you want to kill yourself, fine and hurry up please...just don't kill me in the process.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:47 PM

24 posts, read 75,017 times
Smoker in disco place give you cancer. Smoker look bad and smell bad but go to outdorr of disco to smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies