Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Foma, I don't want to be appeased. Unfortunately, there are many smokers that aren't bright enough to realize smoke travels in air. I was mostly frustrated by the question turning into a statement, which ( in my humble opinion) turns the whole thing sour. I'm not terribly proud to smoke,, I quit for five years and started once more. I'm just so tired of all the rhetoric on smoking, the politicians wanting the vote, passing no smoking laws, and frankly, I wished it was illegal. And to answer your question. I think that anyone who shows the disrespect asked in your question about your (dad?) ought to be publicly flogged. Unfortunately, there are a pile of rude folks in this world that have no respect for anyone, or anything. Oh, and Lisa, if you feel that strong about it, write your elected legislators and get smoking outlawed..it's a shame you cannot smoke dope or smell incense. I'm gonna go cry now
If you would take the time to read my post rather then being so rude and indulging in personal attacks, you would see that I fully support your right to smoke, I even think its stupid to outlaw it in bars AND that a place should be made for smokers in restaurants...OR CAN YOU READ BACK THAT FAR...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Calm down people, please.
Yac.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
To answer the original question, yes I do care, and would never purposefully bother a non-smoker. Just today I spent the entire day with my pregnant sister, and withheld from smoking at ALL, even if she wasn't standing anywhere nearby... that's because I'm considerate, and didn't even want to bother her with the smell on my clothing. So no, we're not all rude! But we also deserve to be treated with respect from non-smokers, which at least the original poster seems to do.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Im a smoker and yes I give cosideration to those around me who are not.I have no problem taking it outside except at bars.Im sorry but when it comes to drinking at bars who don't serve food,this should be tolerated.

I gotta laugh when someone is pounding down a half bottle of whiskey everyday at happy hour yet says that smoke is ruining their health.

I recently saw a article somewhere saying that there was a certain movement to start banning people from smoking while driving(in personal autos).This is just over the top.This just gets to the point of the thought of (I know whats better for you then you do and Im gonna force you to better yourself).

actually I just googled and found it,it has more to do with "safety" then health but still....

http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.co...3270/30449.htm

Old 05-13-2007, 11:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have no problem taking it outside except at bars.
I absolutely agree. I started avoiding going to bars b'c the smoke got so bad but by doing that, I also quit drinking! I do believe bars should be a no holds barred environement! hehe, pun INTENDED!
Quote:
I recently saw a article somewhere saying that there was a certain movement to start banning people from smoking while driving(in personal autos).This is just over the top.
I heard a similar story but the reasoning behind it was for children passengers - like the law was to protect children from secondhand smoke or something.

Smokers, let me just say again, many of the non-smokers who posted here aren't against you guys smoking. I sinerely apologize if my original post was construed that way.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
cool deal foma.

I will say this,some non smokers are annoying in the fact that I have several times while smoking a cig outside have had a non smoker come up to me looking like this --> <-- and start lecturing me about "dont you know thats bad for you?,why do you do it?,it smells,its nasty".

Leave me the frak alone!If you ask me to move or take it outside I do so willingly,but I dont need some twit getting in my face ruining my moment of peace otherwise.

my friends mother has a allergy condition and she coughs alot,never smoked at all.She told me outside some store the other day some guy just said"thats what you get for smoking".

Old 05-13-2007, 11:38 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
lionking - I definitely would never impose my own values on a smoker - maybe to a friend but not to a stranger.

You know what's so funny? I can't stand the smell of smoke but I like the smell of cigars ... not a whole bunch but just having one lit up. I'm a weirdo.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:40 PM

234 posts, read 786,152 times
Some smokers are caring, thoughtful people, and other smokers aren't.

Some non-smokers are caring, thoughtful people, and other non-smokers aren't.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 PM

431 posts, read 393,689 times
Smoking in public is wrong, period. It's like peeing in a public swimming pool! Eeewwwhhh! The pee swirls around and affects everyone in the pool. Same with cigarette smoke - it swirls around in the air; and it's MY air, too. Don't light up in public - confine it to your home and car.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM

234 posts, read 786,152 times
Pittle:

You're entitled to your opinion. We all are...

This is how I feel:

Part of becoming an adult is learning how to share, and how to get along with others...Adults take other people's wants, wishes, & needs into consideration...and try to work out fair compromises.

From a smoker's point of view...anti-smokers and anti-smoking groups "stold" from us, and didn't show any consideration for us at all!

How many non-smokers pushed to keep at least a few bars and restaurants "smoker-friendly" so smokers would have places to go too?? Not many!!

But yet, smokers didn't complain thru the years when restaurants allocated more and more space for non-smokers....or when more and more restaurants went completely non-smoking!

Smokers didn't fuss and complain and whine about all of this...because they wanted to be nice, thoughtful, considerate and caring towards non-smokers.

But yet, we don't get any credit for "being nice"....or any credit for our willingness to "share space" and give-up space in restaurants and bars so non-smokers would have larger sections.....

None of this happened by "accident." It happened because smokers were willing to share, and "be fair." (And didn't complain about it!!!)

How much is enough? How much do you people want, for heaven sakes? Will you ever be happy? This is how a lot of smokers feel about non-smokers these days.

There are a lot of "feelings" on both sides of this issue. None of it is simply black and white, or cut & dry...And, it shouldn't be handled in simple-minded ways. Thanks for listening, Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies