Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know if he was invited or not. I haven't really researched the story very much because it's not that high on my list of priorities.

True.

It's another nonissue the angry religious right wants to stir up some phony outrage over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Barack Obama’s shameful absence from Berlin: Four Key Reasons why the President stayed away – Telegraph Blogs

Quote:
Practically every speech he has given on foreign soil since taking office has been marked by an apology or apologies for America’s past.
So very true. How else could he expect the world to love him. The dictators, despots and murderous regimes of the world will love you when you denigrate America.

Quote:
The striking absence of the leader of the most powerful nation on the face of the earth from ceremonies marking the fall of the Berlin Wall is yet another damning indictment of Barack Obama’s world leadership, or lack of it.

Instead its position is being rapidly undermined by a foreign policy of weakness and indecision, one that will only strengthen the hand of its enemies.
Yep, that's what many have been saying on this side of the pond.

Give the guy a break though. He's been busy on the perpetual campaign to get his boondoggle HC takeover passed, to the detriment of every other issue.....like jobs.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Barack Obama̢۪s shameful absence from Berlin: Four Key Reasons why the President stayed away РTelegraph Blogs

So very true. How else could he expect the world to love him. The dictators, despots and murderous regimes of the world will love you when you denigrate America.

Yep, that's what many have been saying on this side of the pond.

Give the guy a break though. He's been busy on the perpetual campaign to get his boondoggle HC takeover passed, to the detriment of every other issue.....like jobs.

What was I saying about more phony outrage?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
By all means, let's stay on topic. We have a hypocrite extaordinaire, bashing Obama for not attending an event. If Obama went, the righ wingnuts would call it a photo op or smear him for not addressing more pressing issues right here in the USA. This nonsense spewed by the lizard Newt, is just another opportunity to take a rather non-issue and make it an issue to suit their pathetic agenda.
we actually have a perfectly parallel situation - the anniversary of d-day.

obama went to that - and we still hear about his "vacation in france" from the right.

if he was going to germany, you can bet your butt we'd hear about how he was vacationing, wasting taxpayer money, spending time in other countries when he needs to be here working on our problems, etc etc etc. you guys here on the right have already proven that is the case.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Was Obama even invited?

Maybe Germany sees this a national thing that they want to commemorate w/o the USA sticking its nose in.
Was he invited? LOL... You people kill me. The fact is there were too many other world leaders there and Obama couldn't have an "all about me" gathering...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
we actually have a perfectly parallel situation - the anniversary of d-day.

obama went to that - and we still hear about his "vacation in france" from the right.

if he was going to germany, you can bet your butt we'd hear about how he was vacationing, wasting taxpayer money, spending time in other countries when he needs to be here working on our problems, etc etc etc. you guys here on the right have already proven that is the case.
Right. Perfect example.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
"Some consider President Obama's refusal to attend the commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany next week an outrage, I consider it a tragedy." Gingrich wrote in an op-ed published Friday in The Washington Examiner.

"To commemorate, after all, is to remember. And Americans need to remember, not just that the Wall fell, but why it fell," Gingrich added. "We need to remember that the Berlin Wall was the symbol of more than just the Cold War, more than just the division of Europe."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

He has time to attend Corzine's campaign's more than ones, he has time for all te people who pay enough to him to stay at the WH and get private time with him, playing golf, going out on the town, flying to try to get the Olympics to the US (IMO the Olympics shouldn't be a political issue but a Sports event, and politics should stay out!), etc...

But to speak up for the people of Iran who now in their own language are shouting "bama are you with usor with them"...meaning are you helping us the people who want deocracy or are you with our president who wants to wipe Israel of the map and hae us shut up!

Or to go what is a very important time in history and spread the word about freedom in Berlin...."I'm a Berliner, Tear down that Wall, but Obama is just stating "I'm a beginner"!

why should he go, there was no way he could have made it about himself.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I think Hillary Clinton is doing a fantastic job in representing America among all those other world leaders from Europe and around the world.
His narcissistic nature at work again...

Quote:
The Social Democrats welcomed the prospect but the chancellor, Angela Merkel, from the conservative Christian Democrats, cast doubt about it going ahead.Thomas Steg, a spokesman for Merkel, said there is concern about allowing one of the most symbolic landmarks in Berlin to be used for a partisan speech.
US elections: Germans cast doubt on Obama speech at Brandenburg Gate | World news | guardian.co.uk

Chicago politics go world wide. This is his MO. If you're not with me you're against me...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Let's not forget this great gesture...

Barack Obama sends bust of Winston Churchill on its way back to Britain - Telegraph

Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Default Obama again on the wrong side of history...

Obama's 1983 College Magazine Article - The New York Times

"Nuclear freeze", is that not where the US would have been left in a disadvantaged position and the Soviets in and advantageous position? One might think because the nuclear freeze idea was pushed heavily by Reagan's daughter it would have been a good idea. Nope. As Reagan said "I don't want to freeze them, I want to get rid of them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies