Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:54 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Same could be said for bringing in Nazis. Many Nazis were fine neighbors, their children were well behaved, clean. Why would you reject that culture? It's actually quite similar to Islam as an ideology.
LOL.. okay..

many serial killers also were exactly those things.. however they kept a dark secret. Should we banish all men with the same characteristics as Ted Bundy ?

But then again many people are just all those things with no dark secret.. so I don't know what your getting at.

Not all Muslims are extremists with violent intentions toward Americans. Those that do may disguise themselves to blend in, but should an entire group of people then be expelled because of a few bad ones?

That's just absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
It is clear that most logical people follow the line "Let's separate the good muslims from the bad"...
Well,in USA,with freedom of speech & religion,how can we legally turn against the bad muslims..?

Should we outlaw curcimcision at age 7 ?
Should we deseggregate the mosques,allowing married men & all women to become imams(...or whatever)...
But then what about the ...Catholic church ,which discriminates against married men & all women ?

How do we support the good muslims & isolate the bad ?
I think these are good questions, Harry. I don't have the answer. I don't know that anyone does, but I think it's the not knowing how to "spot the terrorist" that leads to the intolerance we see on so many threads about "all Muslims this", and "all Muslims that."

I do think that we as Americans should support the Muslim-American organizations that speak out against violence committed in the name of extremist Islam (and there are plenty that do speak out). It would be a start anyway.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
What are my feelings about Muslims?
What are my feelings about blacks?
What are my feelings about Illegals?
What are my feelings about people who want to stereotype whole groups?

I'm not a Racist but?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
I'm afraid to state my feelings, for reasons of public safety....and my desire to live long enough to die of natural causes.

Suffice it to say, I'm sure there are some FINE Muslim folks here. On the OTHER hand, it...

(guess that's all I'd better say).

Old 11-07-2009, 02:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
One of my best friends is a total redneck. I met him in medical school. We met because we were forced to being around each other on a rotation. I'm glad I got to know him because despite his language and crass views, he is one of the finest human beings I've ever met. If I'm in trouble, I know that guy, more than many of my other liberal friends, will help me and be there for me. I stereotyped and prejudged him. I'm glad I took the effort to get to know him. It made me realize that underneath our political views and culture, we all want the same things and are more alike than different. I think that scares people...that we are all so much more alike.

Not only that, I realized that things I didn't like previously were things I didn't really understand like guns. I used to think gun owners were a bunch of dumb rednecks who just liked violence. When I went with him to the shooting range and hunting, I realize it's not about violence. It's about culture and tradition. Guns are as meaningful to them as certain rituals and customs are to me. I also learned that gun owners are in awe and respectful of the power they yield, it's not like on television. I could have grouped him with the Columbine shooters.

Likewise, I guarantee the people who dislike Muslims and have formed opinions about Islam are people who don't really know any Muslims and have no real knowledge of Islam. And by knowing a Muslim, I don't mean in a superficial way. How many of you have invited one to your house or had dinner with one? It's easy to form opinions through ignorance and that's human nature. We hate what we fear and we fear what we don't know. Before judging all Muslims, maybe some of you should take the effort and get to know some before judging them all on someone you saw on the news. I think you will realize that all people have far more in common yet we allow the few things we lack in common to separate us.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-07-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Really what's the difference? They seem about the same to me. Find one Muslim country where there's any tolerance or minding their own business. See what happens if a Jewish person tries to move into one of their countries, or a woman shows her face in public.
I'm a Jewish person who was harassed and terrorized for my entire childhood by our CHRISTIAN neighbors in a so called "Christian" nation. Crosses burned on my lawn, bricks thrown through windows- oh yes, and this was in the 1990s, not 1930s.

Living in an all Muslim neighborhood in London, I felt safer wearing my Star of David than I EVER did in the American South. Meanwhile, some of these women CHOSE to cover their face, but in class they were just as intellectually engaged and outspoken and friendly to me, the American Jew, as anyone else.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:17 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
Extreme hatred and fear can become a mental illness no matter what you believe, no matter where you come from. Most human beings do not make a lifetime out of violence and hatred.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I admit to being bigoted regarding muslims and Islam. And I am perfectly OK with that as the basis for my beliefs and opinions continues to be validated more and more every day by the actions, and inaction, of muslims the world over.

Ditto

Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
Quote:
Really what's the difference? They seem about the same to me. Find one Muslim country where there's any tolerance or minding their own business. See what happens if a Jewish person tries to move into one of their countries, or a woman shows her face in public.
But see we aren't talking about people in other countries. We are talking about Muslims that choose to live HERE, they decided they didn't want to be around what you mentioned above for whatever reason. There is no denying there are radical Muslims and we need to address those Muslims as they come and we don't need to let political correctness get in the way. But I honestly feel that if we ever get to the point where we are isolating a whole group of people for the actions of a small few, then the America as we know it will not exist.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM

433 posts, read 459,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Just as there are extreme muslims, there are extreme Christians as well.. There is an extreme in every religion.
I could be mistaken but the level of extremism would seem to be a bit different. While I have felt uncomfortable and ostracized in the company of some religious orders, I never felt at all threatened. Not at all true in Muslim countries where the treat is palpable at times. Can you cite another major religion that preaches death and destruction to those with different beliefs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Let them stay. Those that have ties with extremist groups over seas should be immediately deported. Those suspected of having ill will toward the people of the country it occupies needs to be closely watched and/or sent home. But not all muslims need to be expelled.
So how do we deal with those with "ties with extremist groups over seas" who are natural born US citizens? I would think that is the greater problem.

Dano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies