Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can the bill be repealed?
YES 25 56.82%
NO 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off - it won't pass the Senate.

BUT, if by some quirk it did and became "law", it would be prohibited from being implemented because of the litigation filed, in all 50 states, challenging it.
I am surprised you know what IT is. They don't know what IT is yet. IT hasn't been put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You could also repeal the laws that created Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. The Republicans had the chance to do this when they controlled the White House, Senate, and House just a few years ago. Why didn't they?
Are you now saying these are problems that should be dealt with?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 824 times
May God have mercy on the souls of these Democrats selling our country away, because We the People will not. I WANT A REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????? Damn these democratic senators! I want not only to send them into retirement, I want to send them to hell!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pretty much any law passed can later be repealed. Even Constitutional amendments can later be invalidated by a later amendment-an example would be the amendment repealing the amendment that instituted Prohibition.
Whether it could be politically done would be dependent on the circumstances then.
To invalidate a Constitutional Amendment would require a 3/4 majority of all of the 50 statehouses, a mighty tall order.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoran View Post
May God have mercy on the souls of these Democrats selling our country away, because We the People will not. I WANT A REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????? Damn these democratic senators! I want not only to send them into retirement, I want to send them to hell!
They are traitors. What they are doing to us is reprehensible. They should be jailed, but are instead enslaving us.

Assuming this thing ends up being what is proposed now, we'd best plan ahead. From what I understand of the proposal's wording and provisions, there are only four options to opt out of it:

1) Join a religion that forbids health care, and thus, no longer receive health care--you've opted out. To force health care upon you if your religion forbids it is clearly unconstitutional. Cross your fingers and live free for as long as your body holds out.

2) Earn below poverty level wages. Living like this can be done, but it's not easy or pleasant. You'd be trading economic freedom for freedom over your own body.

3) Find a country willing to take you and denounce US citizenship. Perhaps it is possible under these circumstances to convince another nation to take you as a political refugee. Just choose wisely, you could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

4) Suicide. Self explanatory, but not that appealing. Depending on your philosophy, most would agree that the grave or God isn't going to force you into a 'health slave' lifestyle. (which is even worse than being a tax slave or wage slave)

I haven't decided which route I'll take if this thing actually comes to pass. You can bet I won't be paying a fine or going to jail, though. And I won't accept a treasonous yoke placed upon our heads--at least not on my head. Give me liberty or give me death.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How will a Party that is at 20% now and still fracturing win anything?
Reality check time:

Quote:
"You're Screwed"

"When House Democrats gathered on Friday for their end-of-the week caucus meeting in the basement of the Capitol, caucus Chairman John Larson (D-Conn.) told the group he wanted them to hear first from Rep. Michael Capuano, who'd just returned from a primary campaign for the Senate seat in Massachusetts vacated by the death of Ted Kennedy," Ryan Grim writes at http://www.huffingtonpost.com

"Larson asked Capuano, who finished in second place, to share the wisdom he learned on the campaign trail," Mr. Grim said.

"Capuano took to the microphone, looked out at his colleagues and condensed what he'd learned into two words. 'You're screwed,' he told his friends in the House, according to one attendee. The room's silence was broken only by soft, nervous laughter.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:23 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They are traitors. What they are doing to us is reprehensible. They should be jailed, but are instead enslaving us.

Assuming this thing ends up being what is proposed now, we'd best plan ahead. From what I understand of the proposal's wording and provisions, there are only four options to opt out of it:

1) Join a religion that forbids health care, and thus, no longer receive health care--you've opted out. To force health care upon you if your religion forbids it is clearly unconstitutional. Cross your fingers and live free for as long as your body holds out.

2) Earn below poverty level wages. Living like this can be done, but it's not easy or pleasant. You'd be trading economic freedom for freedom over your own body.

3) Find a country willing to take you and denounce US citizenship. Perhaps it is possible under these circumstances to convince another nation to take you as a political refugee. Just choose wisely, you could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

4) Suicide. Self explanatory, but not that appealing. Depending on your philosophy, most would agree that the grave or God isn't going to force you into a 'health slave' lifestyle. (which is even worse than being a tax slave or wage slave)

I haven't decided which route I'll take if this thing actually comes to pass. You can bet I won't be paying a fine or going to jail, though. And I won't accept a treasonous yoke placed upon our heads--at least not on my head. Give me liberty or give me death.
Some of you people are just plain psychotic. Get help. Suicide? Please, get some help.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:32 AM

839 posts, read 982,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Can it be repealed after the Republicans take over in 2010? And that is IF the Republicans win back the House and the Senate. I have heard 2 different stories, Yes it can, and No it can't....Can someone clarify for me please!!
Legally, it could be overturned through legislation. However, the likelihood of that is incredibly low. It is unbelievably difficult to eliminate welfare programs once they are passed into law due to public dependency on them which is why social security, medicare and medicaid are essentially untouchable today. What's more, once the bill is passed into law it's going to take a lot of work and money to enact it; in 2010 an enormous amount of change will have already occurred and trying to halt or reverse it would be ruinous. Also, Republicans would need 60 votes to do anything which just isn't going to happen; chances are the Republicans are going to win a few seats in the Senate in 2010 but there is little chance they will take back the Senate as there just aren't enough seats up for election.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 AM

366 posts, read 297,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You could also repeal the laws that created Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. The Republicans had the chance to do this when they controlled the White House, Senate, and House just a few years ago. Why didn't they?

Because the Republicans are no better than the Democrats. The two parties are almost the same with little variation. This whole "fight" going on is merely for show; they both suck.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 AM

839 posts, read 982,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
Because the Republicans are no better than the Democrats. The two parties are almost the same with little variation. This whole "fight" going on is merely for show; they both suck.
The two parties in this country are a mess, but to suggest that they are the same is overly simplistic. They definitely represent very different world views and have extremely different ideas regarding how the US should be governed. The real problem is the nature of the political system; it would be great if we could do more to limit the influence of lobbyists, particularly lobbyists for major corporate interests. It would also be great if we could alter the electoral system so as to facilitate the development of a multi-party system rather than a two party one. The problem is that two parties can't adequately represent all the varied interests of the American people. However, the current structure of our electoral system essentially eliminates the possibility of there ever being a viable third (or fourth, fifth, sixth, etc) party. It's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies